Anyone hear Flanagan is in trouble?

Bird4um

Sophomore
Premium
Faculty member at cypress bay says kids living with the coach. Being investigated.

Anyone? Anyone?

Advertisement
Kids live with coaches at almost every south Florida school. And cypress bay has done the same in the past

I have not heard of the investigation

sometimes i feel like i'm taking crazy pills but i find this trend very inappropriate and suspect

It amazes me that were concerned whats going on at Flanagan, St. Thomas is doing this year end & Year out. Ijs
Jordan Scarlett
Sam Bruce

Advertisement
Cypress Bay QB lives two minutes from West Broward. All kids in his neighborhood attend West Broward.

Cypress Bay QB lives two minutes from West Broward. All kids in his neighborhood attend West Broward.

Actually I heard that the Cypress QB is a Cooper City kid.

Either way...

It's ironic that someone from Cypress would bring up this issue. They've had kids from Sunrise, Miramar, Miami, Lauderdale, etc etc etc.

Yall think that team that went to states was filled with Weston kids? Lmao. There was more brothas on that team than there is in the whole remaining student body. 5,300+ kids in that school. A handful of them are black. They all play football. Hmmmm. :dejection:

Advertisement
And I'll say this...

The landscape of Broward County high school football would look totally different if someone would police the recruiting/moving/transferring.

It would be a lot more competitive. High school teams would be a true reflection of their surrounding neighborhoods. Cooper City, Western and Cypress Bay would be on level playing fields. Flanagan wouldn't be who they are. Miramar wouldn't be as dominant. Hallandale, South Broward and McArthur would be on more level playing fields. Monarch and Coconut Creek wouldn't be scoring 203 points per game. (both teams were terrible a few years ago) Piper, Plantation and Dilliard would probably be somewhat level.

This would allow for more parody. More competition. A team like Western or Cooper City could surprise a Flanagan or Miramar on any given Friday because the level of talent wouldn't be so lop sided. There would still be more talent at Miramar (for example) but it wouldn't be so overwhelming that a lower tier team couldn't upset them every now and then. It would also force coaches to ACTUALLY COACH-UP THEIR KIDS.

Broward high school football = the have's and have-nots. No in between. Certain schools have a monopoly on local talent. And as a coach you have 2 choices...

1. Become part of the slime-ball circle that roams optimist sidelines and makes empty promises to players/parents (i.e. recruiting)
2. Be an honest coach, develop the kids you're SUPPOSED to have, win the games you're supposed to but remain with a low ceiling (i.e. 6-4 or 7-3 every season, getting your *** kicked by the all-star schools)

Last edited:
Macho hit it on the head as soon as the new principal at AMHS came in and they had to stop recruiting and get a new staff look at the downward trend. Timmons was building a GREAT team there with one of the best staffs in Broward county and great talent to go with it.

Yea i think kids would be better more competitive if every kid had to play with there home school guys like Scarlett would be at taravela. And i think it would help us out in recruiting we are local we would be able to visit every school talk to every kid.. some schools just dont have time to see every kid but now they all play on the same team so now schools can kill three birds with one stone.. but the question is would it hurt more kids then it will help...guys like Callaway would not be on the map if they played at homestead..

I was on a board committee of a private school in S. Florida tasked to investigate our own program. These coaches attend little league games and identify talent early. The special ones get a lot of attention early. Neighborhoods aren't the problem with the St. Thomas's of the world as the kids can live anywhere tuition is the problem. Our tuition at the time was north of eight grand a year that somehow got paid. What happened to us will happens elsewhere. we investigate, no hard proof, coach lays low until the heats off (Board rotates) and then it's business as usual. I guess the living with the coach thing is a way around public s hool boundary problems when there isn't a so called aunt or uncle in the boundary available.

Advertisement
Honestly...

And maybe this is a flaw of mine...

But i can't even bring myself to do stuff like that. (recruiting) It just feels slimey. I'd rather coach-up the kids i have, make them over-achieve and hope that the local kids/parents notice and send their kids my way. If your kid wants to come, great, but i can't see myself trying to lure 15 year old kids in. Maybe it's a pride thing.

Dowels, Moreau, Foy, etc...wanted to play for us, we didn't have to lure them in.

It amazes me that were concerned whats going on at Flanagan, St. Thomas is doing this year end & Year out. Ijs
Jordan Scarlett
Sam Bruce

Not anywhere near the same thing. When you're the best, year and year out. KIDS WANT to be there. Do we recruit? Sure. But not nearly as much as all of you think. Everybody wants to play for a Perennial Winner. You'd be surprised how many calls to transfer are originated by the players- not the other way around.

Advertisement
if they did more policing..the level of play in broward would be a little more better....

Cypress is mad now...because they and flanagan are competing for players....cooper and western are non factors on the recruiting front..Flanagan has all the goodies to lure some kids....

If Kids had to go to their neighbrohood schools....Broward would be:

St Thomas
Dillard
Miramar (They'll still be loaded, as they stillw ould get kids from the Bahas in Carol City as Miramar High is closer to their homes than Carol City)
Ely
and a pick of the Hollywood area schools depending on the years..(Mcarthur,Hallandale, South Broward) i dont think Hills is in a talent rich area of hollywood.

I lol @ the fact that Monarch and Creek have prospects....lol...Recruiting hard aint they....?

Western, Cooper City always were tough teams when i was in high school...mainly because they focused on the LINES...(oline/dline) and produced some high level players on the lines..then ran offensive systems that played towards it...because they never were loaded with skilled talent...those schools kind of got away from that....

Broward is getting out of hand...decades long powerhouses like Dillard and Plantation look shabby and weak.....when you thought of Broward football thse are the two programs along with sta you thought of.....not the Flanagan's of the world.

Advertisement
Back