Anybody in the know

Kempo Cane

IN MARIO WE TRUST
Premium
I'm a simpleton, can someone tell me why Mario who I respect hired Gattis... I'll wait

Advertisement
Gattis might not have been his first choice, but we could have hired Briles. But his offense is too fast paced for Mario’s likeing. Mario is more of 1990 Bro Style offenseive guy. A big 10, slow plotting offense is more Mario’s philosophy and now we’re stuck with a guy who averages just over 20 pts a game.

Gattis is a fraud and should be selling used cars.

Advertisement
They coached together at Bama.

Gattis was there after Mario was already at Oregon.

I do think Mario wanted the “Bama offense”though and that that among other considerations might have led him to Gattis after his first several choices fell through.

Three of Alabama's most recent quarterbacks are in the pros and this season they are combined 7 and 2. And one of those losses is because in one game one Alabama quarterback play the other

Advertisement
Gattis might not have been his first choice, but we could have hired Briles. But his offense is too fast paced for Mario’s likeing. Mario is more of 1990 Bro Style offenseive guy. A big 10, slow plotting offense is more Mario’s philosophy and now we’re stuck with a guy who averages just over 20 pts a game.

Gattis is a fraud and should be selling used cars.
The Ohio State win might have cemented that style in his brain.

Mario reportedly conducted an 8 hour long coordinator interview just to hire Gattis (i remember reading about that on here and thought it was kind of absurd). Maybe that's why his top choices turned him down.

At this point it's irrelevant what Mario wants. We simply don't have the personnel to implement the scheme. Gattis was a bad fit. Unless dramatic improvement occurs we'll be searching for a new OC next year. What MC does well is recruit and he needs 2 years to fully turn over the dead weight on this roster. Once that happens and he has a true SEC caliber roster he can run the rock all he wants. Until then we need an uptempo attacking style O that simplifies everything. Give Garcia a shot, bench Mallory, we should get Zion back and those 3 things should immediately help but at best with Gattis we may improve to a middle of the pack O which isn't good enough. The next 2 months to gauge on field improvement and his likely eventual next OC will be paramount to his longer term success.

Advertisement
Broyles Trophy was too shiny.

But seriously the reason is Mario wants to run this type of offense. But gattis seems to be a bad version of this kind of offense

Mario reportedly conducted an 8 hour long coordinator interview just to hire Gattis (i remember reading about that on here and thought it was kind of absurd). Maybe that's why his top choices turned him down.
Bill Belichick interviewed Matt Patricia 8 hours for a job that paid 15k a year lol. Coaches are kooks man.

Advertisement
Splash hire, just won the broyles award and made the playoffs with Michigan

Philosophy fit/he’s similar to moorehead who was mario’s last OC at oregon
Yep. Also, Michigan hired a passing game coach at QB coach to get the explosive plays into their offense during his last year there. Note their offense hasn’t fallen off.

At this point it's irrelevant what Mario wants. We simply don't have the personnel to implement the scheme. Gattis was a bad fit. Unless dramatic improvement occurs we'll be searching for a new OC next year. What MC does well is recruit and he needs 2 years to fully turn over the dead weight on this roster. Once that happens and he has a true SEC caliber roster he can run the rock all he wants. Until then we need an uptempo attacking style O that simplifies everything. Give Garcia a shot, bench Mallory, we should get Zion back and those 3 things should immediately help but at best with Gattis we may improve to a middle of the pack O which isn't good enough. The next 2 months to gauge on field improvement and his likely eventual next OC will be paramount to his longer term success.
I agree. I think the run dominate ball control O can be soul crushing when paired with a solid judgment QB and elite WRs. Bama and UGA wrote the book on this. We have the run game but we lean on it when we should be throwing (8 man fronts, 3 LBs). Mallory should lose snaps until he shows and proves. Also, any time he’s on the field and there are 3 Lbs we should have an automatic audible to him splitting out and running an out or slant where he can use size and speed to body bag the backer.

Just my opinion, but Mario has always been a meat grinder, kill the clock offense type guy. I don't know if Gattis was his first pick or not, but his system is what Mario likes to run. The problem is we 1) don't have the type of talent to run that type of Big10 offense and 2) We will never get the talent to run it successfully. South Florida, and most of talent in the south, don't play meat grinding football anymore. Fast tempo & spread is the name of the game. Look at Bama when Saban first started there vs now. With all that said, Gattis has another problem. He is very much like D'Onofrio. Hard headed and doesn't listen to those around him. Thinks what works in the Big10/Midwest will work here....it doesn't. His offense, outside of some exotic blocking schemes, reminds me a little of Enos. Slow developing with too much thinking and too little action. Look you beat this offense by loading the box. 8 vs. 5 and you are not going to run on it (hey Gattis how did you do against that 8 when you ran it in teeth of the defense 3 times at the goal line?). Also when it takes 4-5 count to setup your play and release the ball, in todays game, your destine to struggle. Also I suspect, from watch us run into the teeth of the defense intentionally, that Gattis is not giving the QB an ability to audible out. Too much setup, too much thinking, and to much meat grinding. Now it doesn't help that the times you do throw a pass your receivers cannot catch the ball or get separation, so I am not saying this is all coaching. But these long developing offensive plays are not going to work in todays game unless you have elite, 5 star talent on the line (hint our OL is neither). Once again only my opinion, but from here on out teams will load the box and force us to win through the air. No matter if its TVD or Garcia our QB are going to struggle in this offense.

Gattis sang the Song of Mario (offense philosophy). Beautiful sounds filled the chamber that our HC enjoyed listening to. By the end hands were shook and a partnership started. Or something like that.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back