Any post-game quotes/interviews from Diaz?

Yesterday I was disappointed with Diaz and the defense but I really think it was all effort. They thought they were the **** and they came out lackadaisical against a ****ty team. There is no way our defense can go from being that good to being that bad especially with the 5 freshman that played on D last year. To me it was effort and now that this happened they will be motivated to play 100x better.

It was more than effort , 12 yard cushions on 4th and 3 isn't effort

Advertisement
The constant blitzing was ill advised given the ball was generally out of the qbs hand in two seconds. Just a strangely called game. That being said, I do think a big part of what we saw was due to the players on D being lazy and uninspired. They "know" they are good and so no need to go balls to the wall, BCU wasn't really ever a threat so the defensive players can save their energy for game 3. Dumb, but these are 18 year olds. The fact that BCU put up a ton of yards might be the best thing that could have happened going into AK St. If BCU had played poorly, the D might have thought they could get away with less than max effort against lesser teams. I suspect that the film this week is going to embarrass a lot of players so we will see a D next Saturday that wants redemption.

DL got very little pressure. They didn't look like the same line. I think it was one of those flat games with kids looking ahead. They'll pay more attention to Ark St, after how they did against Nebraska.

Watched the game again. Only watched the d-line. The ball was out so fast they really had no chance to.

This, and the few times the ball didn't come out in 2 secones, there actually was pressure.

We were at game and it appeared the Dline didn't get penetration. Didn't look anything like like last years front seven. We wondered if they were dead legged from camp and practicing or all got sick from food. Or something. Didn't look like Kool coached line. Even if base D all day, shouldn't we beat the guy in front of us on tenacity, athleticism and technique? Sure they will rebound but I will admit I'm confused.

Advertisement
You can't blitz every down and have your DB's 10-15 yds of the LOS.Its just pitch and catch to the flats and the quick slants .

I like the aggressiveness but I hate we blitz every down especially looking at what we have at the CB position.

I'm trusting Manny is seeing what my untrained eyes and those of many more are seeing and makes the adjustment.

It's great to blitz but you either better get to the QB or have CB's who can cover.After watching our CB's on Saturday half that equation is gone.

Yeah, we were flat-footed, sloppy and lacking a lot of technique, but there was no reason to blitz this particular opponent as aggressively as we did. None. It was excessive and unnecessary. Play your base and save all of it.

DL got very little pressure. They didn't look like the same line. I think it was one of those flat games with kids looking ahead. They'll pay more attention to Ark St, after how they did against Nebraska.

Watched the game again. Only watched the d-line. The ball was out so fast they really had no chance to.
Which is suicide if your cb's are playing ten yards off the ball.

Advertisement
Not the best look on D. Hopefully Manny was putting some looks on D to see how they would work/also make OC's have to prepare for the kitchen sink. My guess is we go a little more base and conservative. I was surprised at the cushions our CB's were giving. I don't see that as the norm.

Bethune-Cookman quarterback Larry Brihm, who was 22 of 35 for 212 yards with an interception, said this about the Miami defense after the game:
"What we've seen on film. Basically we studied them a lot. We had a whole camp, we watched it, we got together as quarterbacks and watched it. We knew when they were going to blitz us, we knew we had to throw hot off the blitz and everything. It was exactly what we've seen."

My biggest concern going forward isn't that Bethune put up 350 yards, it's that essentially they gave more talented offenses a blueprint to beat us.

I don't think there's any secret scheme out there. There are years of tape on Saban's bama defenses.

Holgorsen and WVU had a month to prepare for us, and we took them apart.

I just don't think we played with focus and intensity. Poor angles. Poor energy. Poor tackling. Didn't get off blocks. Also, Delaney struggled a bit.

Those aren't really scheme issues.

Advertisement
Back