Any news on Borregales in Tampa?

Advertisement
Can the Bucs get out of Succup’s contract?

I don’t even know why they would take somebody that good unless they thought they could save some money signing him and cutting the other guy or trading him and getting a late round draft choice or something for him.

Never understood him signing there in the first place after they had just given all that $ to the other guy. Hope he can get on a roster quickly and not have to wait

Succop's contract is gtd per my recollection . JB has kicked well, but they can't drop Succop because of his contract. They'll put him on the Developmental Squad, but I anticipate someone possibly taking him off if it pending their own roster issues.

Advertisement
Yup he’s having a great camp but won’t beat out Succop. Honestly, I hope he gets cut and the Browns sign him.
Haha.....Maybe you will end up with your 5th round pick in 2019...Austin Seibert

He has been having a great preseason with the bengals. But he won't beat out McPherson.

If its brown...flush it down...

Probably going to get cut. He’s been good in camp, maybe better than Succup. Problem is that they signed succup to a $12m extension last year. I think Borregales ends up signing with another team post camp and being a starter. He’s kicked well in camp
Could see him in NE their guy is trash

Can the Bucs get out of Succup’s contract?

I don’t even know why they would take somebody that good unless they thought they could save some money signing him and cutting the other guy or trading him and getting a late round draft choice or something for him.

To @SFbayCane 's comment, I said it the day Borregales signed with Tampa Bay, it was a big mistake for him to go to TB (unless there would have been a situation where the incumbent had to miss all of training camp).

Not sure how much of K's contracts are guaranteed, or if there was a signing bonus that needs to be amortized. They would most likely have to trade him to get salary relief. I get the idea that TB wants to run back the whole crew from last year, but I always thought the K money would be better spent on other players. At the same time, I could understand that TB does not want to lose a crucial and/or playoff game with a rookie kicking mistake.

Best of luck to Borregales no matter where he ends up.

Bucs up against salary cap. Possibly trade Succop. Doubt other veterans will redo their contracts again next year, especially if the Bucs get back to the Super Bowl. Another problem is if any of their starters get injured and they need to sign a replacement with a high salary.

Advertisement
Bucs up against salary cap. Possibly trade Succop. Doubt other veterans will redo their contracts again next year, especially if the Bucs get back to the Super Bowl. Another problem is if any of their starters get injured and they need to sign a replacement with a high salary.

Yep, that last part is key, whether it is "high salary" or "any salary".

Who's his agent? Would love to understand the reasoning behind landing in Tampa. Everyone immediately mentioned the Succop contract and signing bonus. Surely, JB's agent knew of it. So, I'd imagine there was a specific rationale for going there anyway. Pretty interesting.

Advertisement
Who's his agent? Would love to understand the reasoning behind landing in Tampa. Everyone immediately mentioned the Succop contract and signing bonus. Surely, JB's agent knew of it. So, I'd imagine there was a specific rationale for going there anyway. Pretty interesting.

These are recent. As in, "not as of the day of the draft" recent.

So, first, Succop looks like a solid incumbent (at the time of the draft)...then he struggles...now he might survive because of the contract...

1629745855873.png

To @SFbayCane 's comment, I said it the day Borregales signed with Tampa Bay, it was a big mistake for him to go to TB (unless there would have been a situation where the incumbent had to miss all of training camp).

Not sure how much of K's contracts are guaranteed, or if there was a signing bonus that needs to be amortized. They would most likely have to trade him to get salary relief. I get the idea that TB wants to run back the whole crew from last year, but I always thought the K money would be better spent on other players. At the same time, I could understand that TB does not want to lose a crucial and/or playoff game with a rookie kicking mistake.

Best of luck to Borregales no matter where he ends up.

I DO recall you posting that opinion very early on. Kudos. You saw it before the marketplace did.

Offbeat side note - I've posted stories about a former acquaintance who was the Dir. Player Personnel for the 49ers many years ago. On the old Canestime board we used to have an expression called "GM crack." It referred to a certain body type that NFL GM's crave. I have to wonder if this is/was an issue with Jose B. Despite his college football bonafides the kid looks more like someone who you'd see playing pick up soccer at Tropical Park than an NFL player. I was blown away that he did not get drafted. As I think about it now, this could have been a big factor.

Advertisement
I DO recall you posting that opinion very early on. Kudos. You saw it before the marketplace did.

Offbeat side note - I've posted stories about a former acquaintance who was the Dir. Player Personnel for the 49ers many years ago. On the old Canestime board we used to have an expression called "GM crack." It referred to a certain body type that NFL GM's crave. I have to wonder if this is/was an issue with Jose B. Despite his college football bonafides the kid looks more like someone who you'd see playing pick up soccer at Tropical Park than an NFL player. I was blown away that he did not get drafted. As I think about it now, this could have been a big factor.

Yeah, I'm from Orlando, so our local media covers the Bucs as the "local" NFL team.

I was on CanesTime back in the day and I recall some of those conversations. And if memory serves, when we were all discussing Borregales a few months ago, one or two people put forth the theory that the Gaytor kicker had more touchbacks than Borregales did (i.e., "stronger leg") as a reason why only one K was drafted, while the Groza winner was not.

Succop spending next 10 days in quarantine with Covid positive test. Borregales to get the kicking duties all to himself.

Succop spending next 10 days in quarantine with Covid positive test. Borregales to get the kicking duties all to himself.
That might be the ultimate window of opportunity. Honestly I think if the Bucs really were in a bind they could find some takers for Succop in a trade.

Advertisement
Back