Antwan - RPI and National Seed Question

txcanes

Redshirt Freshman
Since you have done a lot of research, how true to the National Seeds follow the RPI? If we stick at around 10 and see Houston and LL ahead of us, in the RPI, even with SOS adjustments, I do not see how the committee can reward these programs in much weaker conferences with a national seed, and I love UH, kids graduated from there!! Thoughts?

Advertisement
Last year's national seeds were 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-9 in the RPI. So it's pretty darn close.

Houston isn't getting a lot of National Seed love because they are in 3rd place in their own conference. With La-Lafayette, though, it's hard to ignore 45 wins. They will probably end up with 50+.

The prevailing wisdom is that we're on the outside because they don't see the ACC getting three national seeds.

Last year's national seeds were 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-9 in the RPI. So it's pretty darn close.

Houston isn't getting a lot of National Seed love because they are in 3rd place in their own conference. With La-Lafayette, though, it's hard to ignore 45 wins. They will probably end up with 50+.

The prevailing wisdom is that we're on the outside because they don't see the ACC getting three national seeds.

Yep looks like we need some help.

Yep looks like we need some help.

A Florida State loss today would certainly help our case.

Advertisement
Do seeds come out before or after conference tourneys?

Both, sort of.

They officially come out on Selection Monday (after the tourneys), but it is thought that they are determined before the conference championships games are over. Basically the committee tries to wrap those up on Sunday.

Most projections had us at #10 going into this week, and we swept another road series. At this point, it's getting really hard to leave us out. RPI wasn't going to determine our fate really, but it helps, possibly a lot, that it took an unexpected and beneficial jump up to 10 from 18, which wouldn't force the committee to defend why it gave a seed to a team with such a low RPI.

All in all, I believe we're a series win over UNC and a non 0-2 BBQ in the ACCT from a seed.

Of course we could just win the ACCT and remove all doubt.

Most projections had us at #10 going into this week, and we swept another road series. At this point, it's getting really hard to leave us out. RPI wasn't going to determine our fate really, but it helps, possibly a lot, that it took an unexpected and beneficial jump up to 10 from 18, which wouldn't force the committee to defend why it gave a seed to a team with such a low RPI.

All in all, I believe we're a series win over UNC and a non 0-2 BBQ in the ACCT from a seed.

Of course we could just win the ACCT and remove all doubt.

All true, unfortunately it's possible to go 0-3 BBQ in the ACCT.

Advertisement
I think just winning the UNC series in a sweep would solidify us as a National Seed, at this point. Also, as Antwan pointed out--since the selections are normally made during the conference tourneys, I could see us getting a Top 8 seed no doubt at all if we can sweep UNC and win the first 1 or 2 games in the ACC Tourney. Anything else in the ACC Tourney after that would be gravy, and wouldn't affect our seeding either way.

The nice thing about being the #1 seed in the ACCT is that we would get to play the winner of a play-in game first. Right now that would be GT vs. Wake. So they would have to play a game just to stay in the tourney, then turn around and play us. If we fall behind Virginia to #3, it gets tougher.

The nice thing about being the #1 seed in the ACCT is that we would get to play the winner of a play-in game first. Right now that would be GT vs. Wake. So they would have to play a game just to stay in the tourney, then turn around and play us. If we fall behind Virginia to #3, it gets tougher.

Must sweep UNC. We need that acct 1 seed. Who is UVA playing this eek? Any chance they drop one and give us some room for error? These kids have eeked so many out that one or two are bound to go the other way soon.

Advertisement
Wrong. They will fold like a Cubs pennant race. UVA will sweep.

Sweeping at UNC is a monumental task, one which I doubt any team in the country would have odds of doing.

Winning the series 2-1 would be a tough and very solid performance. (especially if they have those Carolina umps who squeeze us at the plate like at the Duke series. My God, it seemed they let some loudmouth Duke fan women in the stands call the balls and strikes).

If we win 2-1, and lose the tiebreaker for the ACC to UVA, well, then, we have only ourselves to blame for that debacle at GT and letting UVA take two games when we had them by the balls.

THAT is when the ACC tourney will count, LOL!

Advertisement
I realize that! (Now! :O)

****, I should just drive down for the weekend, then!

This puts a whole new light on our chances to sweep! I like it a lot!

FSU went 0-3 in the ACCT last year and it didn't do anything. I know, I know, its FSU and the beloved Mike Martin. But yeah I still don't think we should go 0-3 in the tourney.

Advertisement
Back