Antione Jackson to UCF

Advertisement
They should wrap up Jackson immediately and make room for the NC State kid if they can land him.

And yes there’s ways to make room.
We are at 87 if Lou isn't on scholarship as dee just said.
We need a QB. Look willing to take a top WR. And Wouldn't be surprised to still see us go for another Safety.
From there I'd say we need TE and CB. That there is +5 which would bring it to 92. Meaning we'd need to clear 7 spots, which is a lot. Now, Idk if we need to be at 85 for spring or not though, cause that doesn't seem very likely to me. After Spring I think it's easier, but it's not super easy either...

QB and RB - None.
WR - Shemar Kirk? Doesn't look like Jacolby George is getting pushed out. We just seriously have to hope he grows a brain and can be WR 1/2 here.
TE - Cam McCormick. Applying for eligibility, and could be denied. I honestly hope he will be. He's played long enough. I'd much rather get a portal TE and him be out of eligibility. But as things stand today it seems he's gunna be in and we wont get portal te.
OL - Keep in mind we need to keep depth here. But guys that could be out are Zion Nelson and Logan Sagapolu. Them both leaving would have us at 14 total OL, which is probably least you want.

DL - Burroughs could be out, don't think we've heard much one way or the other. Only other guy is maybe Anthony Campbell or Thomas Gore? But I doubt it.
EDGE - None. IF anything I could see us add a Top EDGE if one was available. Us passing on Okunlola is similar to this situation with Antione Jackson imo.
LB - Only guy i could see out is Chase Smith?
CB - Can't afford to lose anyone or we'd be ****ed with Depth. Demetrius Freeney is the only one we might be able to since he hasn't done anything and doesn't have the same ceiling as Stafford.
S - Brian Balom is probalby the only guy. Markeith could maybe leave after Spring if hes not in rotation.

In total I just listed TOTAL of like 9 players max that could be pushed out. And thats some guys I doubt would leave like Freeney, Kirk, Gore, Campbell...
Idk man, numbers wise, I get why they're being so selective. I'd also probalby take 2 CBs over 2 Safeties, as I said like a month ago in the portal DB thread. Regardless even if had 9 leave at most we'd have 7 spots..

I understand the approach but it doesn't make sense. For loyalty to his recruited players he is willing to not offer other kids with multiple year's while teams like Bama, USC, Georgia, Florida and FSU around us load up in the portal. If MC were an awesome in game coach as well as recruiter, I would say no problem. But MC is incompetent when it comes to game planning and managing the game. He has not earned the right to be a chooser at the point.
I understand your rationale and especially your point about the bottom of the recruiting class. Definitely a solid point.

I think either approach has its positives and negatives, but in general I prefer Mario’s approach over the long run. Obviously there is some processing and backfill in each cycle, but I think routinely recruiting over your classes by taking portal kids with multiple years to compete with recruits is going to negatively affect your HS recruiting and continuity. FSU might be an example.

It seems to me there’s somewhat of an inverse relationship between HS recruiting success and portal recruiting. The teams with top 5 ranked HS classes do not have heavy portal classes and vice versa. UGA is currently highest of all with a portal ranking at #20. Bama is 1 spot ahead of UM at #45. UF is #26 and FSU #28, so both of those teams are mediocre at both.

The issue is we’re taking an approach more similar to Alabama and Georgia when we don’t have a bunch of good classes stacked together like they do and we don’t have a lot of quality veteran players. Mario is playing a long game here and has the time to do that. At the same time, it likely pays immediate dividends in terms of supporting his recruiting messaging and potentially player retention.

We need a QB. Look willing to take a top WR. And Wouldn't be surprised to still see us go for another Safety.
From there I'd say we need TE and CB. That there is +5 which would bring it to 92. Meaning we'd need to clear 7 spots, which is a lot. Now, Idk if we need to be at 85 for spring or not though, cause that doesn't seem very likely to me. After Spring I think it's easier, but it's not super easy either...

QB and RB - None.
WR - Shemar Kirk? Doesn't look like Jacolby George is getting pushed out. We just seriously have to hope he grows a brain and can be WR 1/2 here.
TE - Cam McCormick. Applying for eligibility, and could be denied. I honestly hope he will be. He's played long enough. I'd much rather get a portal TE and him be out of eligibility. But as things stand today it seems he's gunna be in and we wont get portal te.
OL - Keep in mind we need to keep depth here. But guys that could be out are Zion Nelson and Logan Sagapolu. Them both leaving would have us at 14 total OL, which is probably least you want.

DL - Burroughs could be out, don't think we've heard much one way or the other. Only other guy is maybe Anthony Campbell or Thomas Gore? But I doubt it.
EDGE - None. IF anything I could see us add a Top EDGE if one was available. Us passing on Okunlola is similar to this situation with Antione Jackson imo.
CB - Can't afford to lose anyone or we'd be ****ed with Depth. Demetrius Freeney is the only one we might be able to since he hasn't done anything and doesn't have the same ceiling as Stafford.
S - Brian Balom is probalby the only guy. Markeith could maybe leave after Spring if hes not in rotation.

In total I just listed TOTAL of like 9 players max that could be pushed out. And thats some guys I doubt would leave like Freeney, Kirk, Gore, Campbell...
Idk man, numbers wise, I get why they're being so selective. I'd also probalby take 2 CBs over 2 Safeties, as I said like a month ago in the portal DB thread. Regardless even if had 9 leave at most we'd have 7 spots..
Add Redding to the WR who should be pushed out. Gore should 1000% be pushed out but replaced by a better DT so that 1/1 trade doesn't free up a spot anyways, same for Mccormick if he leaves we need to replace his spot as TE are slim on the roster. Everyone else I agree with.

Ideally we add 1 WR1, 1QB, 2 CB (one outside CB and one Nickel), 1 S. 1/1 trade for TE 1/1 trade on DT could also do a 1/1 trade on RB

QB and RB - None.

Maybe it’s along the lines of what @JayCane20 is saying and they just moved on after the last episode???

Advertisement
Isn’t the DT from Middle Tenn a better version of Gore? If not, why bring him in? And if he is, why is Gore still around?

Advertisement
He’s 6’3; 300lbs.

Gore is 5’10; 265lbs.

What’s your point exactly?
Don’t believe he’s quite that big. Point being why is Gore on the roster? Saw more than enough of him vs Rutgers. Just assumed Cook was brought in as an upgrade. If not, then God bless.

Don’t believe he’s quite that big. Point being why is Gore on the roster? Saw more than enough of him vs Rutgers. Just assumed Cook was brought in as an upgrade. If not, then God bless.

How do you know he’s going to be here by the time the roster is set?

Do you know when the 85 needs to be in place?

Add Redding to the WR who should be pushed out. Gore should 1000% be pushed out but replaced by a better DT so that 1/1 trade doesn't free up a spot anyways, same for Mccormick if he leaves we need to replace his spot as TE are slim on the roster. Everyone else I agree with.

Ideally we add 1 WR1, 1QB, 2 CB (one outside CB and one Nickel), 1 S. 1/1 trade for TE 1/1 trade on DT could also do a 1/1 trade on RB
Didn't even count Redding as on the roster, so if he is still that would be 88 btw.

Advertisement

We dont need 2 cbs or another dt ...every ting else u stated im good with.

How do you know he’s going to be here by the time the roster is set?

Do you know when the 85 needs to be in place?

I believe before the spring game the 85 has to be set. Thats just a guess but it could also be before the spring semester is started which is coming up

QB and RB - None.

I think Markeith is starting at one of the safeties. Burroughs lol are we going to be talking about him all offseason. I've so many posts his gone but his name still not in the portal. Honestly, I wouldn't be too worried about the numbers. They made an offer for that Marshall DE. When they need to make a room, they'll do it.

Advertisement
I think Markeith is starting at one of the safeties. Burroughs lol are we going to be talking about him all offseason. I've so many posts his gone but his name still not in the portal. Honestly, I wouldn't be too worried about the numbers. They made an offer for that Marshall DE. When they need to make a room, they'll do it.
i'd be surprised if markeith is starting. Guess he have a shot to earn in in spring regardless though. Jaden Harris has been the 3rd safety all year. Markeith played in the bowl game with James Williams, Kam Kinchens, and Jaden Harris all out. And we've already taken one safety in the portal. And I'm sure the staff views someone like Jadais Richards as being able to move to safety. I'd say Balom would be the first guy out at Safety though. Markeith probably stays. I was just listen any guy that I could possilby think that could leave. I don't think dropping 8+ is realistic unless maybe in spring some freshman take guys jobs.

We DID NOT want him. Our concerns in high school were confirmed by his play his freshman year… trust the staff and our NFL player personnel guy for once.

Advertisement
Back