Another way to look at it

mianjomar

Junior
Jimmy Johnson once said after a poor performance against an unranked team "It's hard to get the players up for some game. Sometimes you have to win games on talent"(Paraphrased). We saw two defenses yesterday one between the twenty's and one in the red zone. Some might say bend but don't break defense but I don't think that's applies here. I just think our guys just got serious when it occurred to them that they might score. The result? Two field goals one TD 13 points and we emptied our bench. I'm not happy and am not making excuses but I agree with Jimmy. Who knows what will happen next week but we should win ugly or otherwise but Miami will bring their A game to Tallahassee the next week like we always do and we took the Noles with Davin Cook to the wire last year. That game will tell us where we are.

Advertisement
Not even gonna talk about X's and O's.

We need to work at the fundamentals. That's what I hate to see. EVERY good defense has one thing in common - they tackle well and they swarm to the ball. We had so many missed tackles yesterday, it was cringe-worthy.

We obviously don't tackle in practice. We LOOKED like a team that doesn't tackle in practice.

We had trouble getting off blocks. We missed gap assignments. We took bad angles.

These are basic, fundamental things that come down to how you practice and your mentality as a team, in my opinion.

I'm not saying Manny Diaz is free and clear, because there were some X's and O's things as well that need to be fixed, but the lack of physicality is on Mark Richt IMO. It comes down to how you run practices in the spring and summer.

Hope it improves.

Last edited:
Advertisement
That may be the case when you have a track record to prove you are actually good. Sucking since these players were toddlers doesn't really work with that attitude. This team has never proven anything and has everything to prove. I mean what are they bored with, certainly not excess winning? Can't get up for this game? Really? It's actually one they can win, which they can't say that much. You'd think being able to crush somebody, anybody, would be enough after a decade of being the embarrassed one.

That may be the case when you have a track record to prove you are actually good. Sucking since these players were toddlers doesn't really work with that attitude. This team has never proven anything and has everything to prove. I mean what are they bored with, certainly not excess winning? Can't get up for this game? Really? It's actually one they can win, which they can't say that much. You'd think being able to crush somebody, anybody, would be enough after a decade of being the embarrassed one.

Amen.

350 yards to Bethune Cookman.

Scheme has worked,.... its on the players.worked last year. The only thing which has changed is the players. Oh and the practice time

We all saw a lot of this yesterday. Players were not in position to succeed. I don't remember seeing we-fense alignment like this last year.

BCC.jpg

The effort wasn't the problem. We were just dumb. We were consistently losing leverage in the run game and our tackling/angles were aweful. We looked like a team that was playing tag for a month. These are all things we can correct. And we will.

Advertisement
The problem yesterday was bad angles and tackling. Many times we had guys in position and instead of breaking down and making the tackle they would try and go for the big hit and miss. Fundamentals will go a long way. Just make plays when you have the opportunity.

Agree. To add to this, every game players should be fighting for their spot.

We don't have an offensive identity that is conducive to obliterating an outmanned opponent. It might happen once in a while, but not dependably and mostly random.

Yesterday we had 6 rushes at the end of the first quarter. I was laughing at that in the stands because a typical 51 point favorite would have 15+. The easiest way to dismantle an overmatched opponent is to line up in basic formations and relentlessly pound them. When I lived in Las Vegas and bet sports full time I would give big points in college football with the one dimensional running teams and take big points when the favorite had a confused offense. It bucked conventional wisdom but naturally that conventional wisdom sourced from idiots. They hadn't studied anything but merely assumed they wanted quick passing strikes to cover big spreads. Meanwhile, too often those quick strikes turn into incomplete passes while the blue collar running teams plug away and eventually bust something. Then they continue to bully and bust things in the second half while those pantyhose passing teams have benched the starting quarterback and really don't know or care how to proceed once the backup enters.

Yesterday wasn't a big deal. Typical dispersion from an offense like that. We could have just as easily connected on a few lethal passes early, instead of stalled drives.

Advertisement
That alignment there is pure zone blitz soft zone garbage. When you run that against a spread team you get what happened to Manny at Texas. Its an ugly result.

Whats frustrating is Manny's base defense works great against spread teams but he cant help himself with the **** zone blitz.

Advertisement
Back