Another spring game take

g8rh8rMD

Not a Dr.
Only saw one guy come off the field and it was St. Louis with what appeared to be a shoulder, but may have just been an issue with the brace he was wearing on that shoulder. Didn’t notice any other potential injuries.

OLine - kept an eye on Donaldson in particular, from what I saw, he stayed at RT with the ones the whole game and generally held his own. Once again, the DLine generally dominated the OLine, but it did seem to improve as the game wore on.

There were some sacks called that the QB may definitely been able to get out of in a real game, but there were also plenty where the pocket broke down almost immediately and from all directions and the QB had no chance.

2nd team oline seemed to fare better against 2nd team D. There were some plays with the 3’s out there and that was where Rousseau had a sack like three plays in a row.

DLine looks good.

RB’s, I’m not sure how much to really take away, this goes for OLine in the run game as well. The D knew what was coming and the QB’s were never really pulling the ball, so that threat wasn’t there. Homer looked good, but it was disappointing to see him fumble early in the game. Looked like D recovered, but ball stayed with offense. Dallas looks HUGE, like a fullback. Never really got a chance to see if it’s slowed him or not, but in pads, he just looks jacked, not fat. Not many running lanes for these guys today. Burns got a lot of run. Saw Trayone on the field a few times, but I don’t think they ever ran behind him.

Hightower was the highlight of the scrimmage. Dude is the real deal and caught everything sent his way. Wiggins looks like he’s ready to contribute as well. Based solely on what we saw yesterday, 7 belongs above 18 on the depth chart. Cager did not have a good day, but was also not helped by his QB’s. He still should have come down with a few that went off his hands, even though the throws weren’t in just the right spot.

Frierson and Ivey looked good out there. Dean looks improved. Bandy was Bandy, he locks it down. Saw Derrick Smith make a few plays.

QB’s - What I saw told me that both Williams and Perry are better than Malik right now. They both need reps badly. How much of Malik’s struggles were the fact that he solely went against the 1’s? Tough to say, but he just couldn’t keep the offense on the field. Perry got a lot of run, but it’s because he was finding ways to get first downs. Both Perry and Williams have a tough time getting past their first read. Perry’s biggest issue to me is his inability at this time to vary his throw based on the need of the play. He drills it to guys a few yards a way in the flat instead of giving them a nice catchable ball they can run with. He needs lots of reps. Williams, I think, is going to struggle until he works on his mechanics to get the ball out of his hands quicker. He has like a hitch where he hesitates releasing the ball. I’m guessing that is going to take some time to correct, but once he does that, the game should slow down for him and he’s got all the tools to be very good. I don’t know how else to say this but the biggest overriding feeling I got from the game is that we need Malik out of the way so that these guys can get the reps they need to improve. I like Malik, and I know this is not going to happen, but that’s just what I walked away from the game feeling.

Irvin had a great catch on a horribly thrown ball (Malik) on the opening series, then did nothing but make mistakes the rest of the night.

Polendey had a very good night. He can be a useful guy but will probably never be anything more than an average backup who can come in and make some plays now and then. We need Jordan and/or Mallory to show up ready for prime time.

JT started as the 1 on PR and misjudged the first one pretty badly. Dallas spent most of the night fielding punts after that.

Feagles had two not very good punts, but most were quite nice. None were terrible, but of course there was no rush. Spicer was not good at all.

I don’t want to talk about the kicking game.

All in all, it was a fun night, got to get on the field before the game which was cool. I even ran into CMR when I was looking for the restroom in the tunnel and heard him talking to, I think, his wife. I poked my head around the wall as he was walking by me and I was entering the bathroom, gave him a thumbs up and said thanks coach. He said, hey, what’s up, you’re welcome. Cool moment for a Canes fanboy since the day I was conceived.

Had a great time. Hope they improve upon the experience next year, there’s definitely room for improvement, but tailgating was going on and all in all, it was great to be at the Rock for a night of Canes football.

Last edited:
Advertisement
....it was great to be at the Rock for a night of Canes football.

CAN'T WAIT!
!!![]__[]!!!

OP

Hope everything is good with whatever probs you were having on the way back home.

We can concur that Rosier isn't the answer.

Our #1 OL is no match to our #1 DL. No QB protection means bad or at best inconsistent QB play and I don't care if you put Brett Favre there.
To say It is hard to tell how much of Malik Rosier inconsistent performance is due to #1 OL bad performance is only a reflection of what you think of him after his performance in the last 3 games of last season. Tainted evaluation.

Advertisement
The Young qbs need reps
Are you suggesting Richt is not giving them enough reps or you want them to play against the #1 defense? If Williams ran plays against our best defenders he would have been shut out yesterday.

Are you suggesting Richt is not giving them enough reps or you want them to play against the #1 defense? If Williams ran plays against our best defenders he would have been shut out yesterday.
Play against #1 defense so richt or whoever won’t have the opportunity to say that he played against the #1 defense so he didn’t do as good

Our #1 OL is no match to our #1 DL. No QB protection means bad or at best inconsistent QB play and I don't care if you put Brett Favre there.
To say It is hard to tell how much of Malik Rosier inconsistent performance is due to #1 OL bad performance is only a reflection of what you think of him after his performance in the last 3 games of last season. Tainted evaluation.

That may be a fair critique, but I really believe what I wrote was based on what I saw last night, and las night alone. Perry moved the ball better with the 1’s than Rosier did. Would have like to see Williams with the 1’s, but don’t think we did.

Advertisement
when the second unit was playing saw Donaldson Navaughn being coached by Gus Felder and St Louis on how to handle a quick outside rush, right on the sidelines. Thought it was interesting that in the middle of the scrimmage they were coaching him up on a three step drop. It also says that he has a lot to learn and grow into the RT position. We still have 5 months to LSU, can only get better when he mentally makes the switch!

Advertisement
Back