Another kicker option

Clearly, he has not beaten Baxa during practice, Fall Camp, Spring Camp or all last season so maybe this article was just click bait from 247. We know kicking is a issue so let's put out article. We struggled last year punting and never saw an article about Spicer being on the roster. AI is getting clicks. Good for him but it does not fix the issue.

I just do not believe the coaching staff is putting out anything less than our best. My guess is Baxa continuously out kicks Price... daily.

Remember, DeeJay struggled with fumbles but got over that! We need Baxa to do the same!

Yeah cuz it’s not like coaches have ever put the wrong player in the field

Advertisement
Caution:

He's been with the team a while...IF he was better than Baxa he'd already be playing.

So before getting all excited.... know that there has to be a reason(s) that he's NOT already our 1st string :unsure:

As a Bears Fan, Why do I have to go through this again, Finally Da Bears fix the issue, now my Canes have issues.

Awwww

We here in Philly loved your kicker last season!!!...as much as I love Taggert being at FSU now.

It's a shame Da Bears let him go.....he was money....for the Eagles lol

Advertisement
Ideally, you'd have Baxa kick off. He's been doing a good job there. But you could use Price for shorter field goals (the ones Baxa seems to struggle on)

Price isn't even on scholarship so carrying two game day kickers isn't really an issue.

I have zero issue with Baxa's kick offs.....he's been great. The inside-35 FGs have been unacceptable though. I'm on board with giving another guy a look for short kicks. If we really need a 50 yarder, fine, let Baxa kick it - he's shown he can and most decent college kickers are about 50/50 from that range anyway.

Last edited:

Camden Price is a preferred walk-on who was the 13th rated kicker in the country in 2018. It appears he doesn't have the leg strength Baxa has but his forte' is accuracy. Might be nice to have someone a little more trustworthy for kicks inside 40 yards.

If he can reliably hit from within 40-35, let's roll. I have no problem with saying it's 4 down territory from the 45 to the 33 and less than 3 yards to go. Otherwise it's punt, or send Baxa out there for the long kicks at the end of the half or game. We can absolutely win games with that approach, especially if Hedley can pin 'em deep the way we've heard he can.

Baxa can still be a weapon for us on kickoffs and maybe he can get his head together down the line, but we need to figure this ish out right now.

Clearly, he has not beaten Baxa during practice, Fall Camp, Spring Camp or all last season so maybe this article was just click bait from 247. We know kicking is a issue so let's put out article. We struggled last year punting and never saw an article about Spicer being on the roster. AI is getting clicks. Good for him but it does not fix the issue.

I just do not believe the coaching staff is putting out anything less than our best. My guess is Baxa continuously out kicks Price... daily.

Remember, DeeJay struggled with fumbles but got over that! We need Baxa to do the same!
Feagles beat out Spicer in fall, spring and all of 2017 but by mid season 2018, Spicer was punting. By all accounts, Feagles was an All American in practice, booming punts but come game day, his confidence was shot. It's very possible Baxa is killing it in practice too but clearly he's got issues when the lights are on. We're on our third different right tackle since fall practice started so clearly starting spots aren't etched in stone.

Advertisement
This idea has real potential. Another option which is 100% viable for IMMEDIATE eligibility THIS SEASON is to get a stud from a NESCAC DIII program. See https://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/current/transfer-terms and https://www.nescac.com/sports/fball/index.

If you want to scout on your own, they have the live streams of the Saturday games here: https://www.nsnsports.net/conferences/nescac/

Example of pathway from NESCAC to NC State to Superbowl winner and 7th most accurate in NFL history:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Hauschka. Or was he not good enough for the U???? There may be a similar stud in NESCAC RIGHT NOW, like this guy: https://athletics.wesleyan.edu/sports/fball/2019-20/bios/von_jess_mason_17y2?view=career&pos=k He is a Freshman, in first game 3 FGs 38, 39, 40, 3 XPs, 6 for 6 on kicks first time out.

All NESCAC schools are non-scholarship and their season ends November 9. So we would have him for the rest of the year even if he waits to transfer until the end of this season. The only open issue is what, in fact, "recruited" means. Most of the players at NESCAC schools are just added to the coach's list for admission but still have a steep climb academically and financially.

One-time transfer exception: If you transfer from a four-year school, you may be immediately eligible to compete at your new school if you meet ALL the following conditions:
  • You are transferring to a Division II or III school, or you are transferring to a Division I school in any sport other than baseball, men's or women's basketball, football (Football Bowl Subdivision) or men’s ice hockey. If you are transferring to a Division I school for any of the previously-listed sports, you may be eligible to compete immediately if you were not recruited by your original school and you have never received an athletics scholarship.
  • You are academically and athletically eligible at your previous four-year school.
  • You receive a transfer-release agreement from your previous four-year school.

Last edited:
Yeah cuz it’s not like coaches have ever put the wrong player in the field

I know... I truly hope they are putting guys out there that are our best. I believe Baxa is the best kicker we have on roster! Frustrated or not. He is the guy for now.

Idk what # he is but there was a lot of missed kicks in warm ups during the half, and not all of the were by bubba. So idk if it’ll really make a difference

Advertisement
Feagles beat out Spicer in fall, spring and all of 2017 but by mid season 2018, Spicer was punting. By all accounts, Feagles was an All American in practice, booming punts but come game day, his confidence was shot. It's very possible Baxa is killing it in practice too but clearly he's got issues when the lights are on. We're on our third different right tackle since fall practice started so clearly starting spots aren't etched in stone.

We have made shifts so with that being said he is the guy, right?!?!?
Staff has not replaced him so.... Gotta get over the head game and kick.
Price was brought in to back-up Baxa. That is all. If he can out kick him, he should be doing that daily on Greentree. If he cant win Greentree, what will he do in a game.
He did well on his 2 PATs. Not taking that away from him. Maybe he earns a start.
Just think the staff has more confidence in Baxa.

SideNote: Spicer was never 100% the guy either. All season they went back and forth. Niether worked and we got Lou. Problem solved. Maybe we go after a grad transfer if Baxa and Price can not work it out.

Advertisement
This idea has real potential. Another option which is 100% viable for IMMEDIATE eligibility THIS SEASON is to get a stud from a NESCAC DIII program. See https://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/current/transfer-terms and https://www.nescac.com/sports/fball/index.

If you want to scout on your own, they have the live streams of the Saturday games here: https://www.nsnsports.net/conferences/nescac/

Example of pathway from NESCAC to NC State to Superbowl winner and 7th most accurate in NFL history:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Hauschka. Or was he not good enough for the U???? There may be a similar stud in NESCAC RIGHT NOW, like this guy: https://athletics.wesleyan.edu/sports/fball/2019-20/bios/von_jess_mason_17y2?view=career&pos=k He is a Freshman, in first game 3 FGs 38, 39, 40, 3 XPs, 6 for 6 on kicks first time out.

All NESCAC schools are non-scholarship and their season ends November 9. So we would have him for the rest of the year even if he waits to transfer until the end of this season. The only open issue is what, in fact, "recruited" means. Most of the players at NESCAC schools are just added to the coach's list for admission but still have a steep climb academically and financially.

One-time transfer exception: If you transfer from a four-year school, you may be immediately eligible to compete at your new school if you meet ALL the following conditions:
  • You are transferring to a Division II or III school, or you are transferring to a Division I school in any sport other than baseball, men's or women's basketball, football (Football Bowl Subdivision) or men’s ice hockey. If you are transferring to a Division I school for any of the previously-listed sports, you may be eligible to compete immediately if you were not recruited by your original school and you have never received an athletics scholarship.
  • You are academically and athletically eligible at your previous four-year school.
  • You receive a transfer-release agreement from your previous four-year school.

We've reached peak Paranos.

We have made shifts so with that being said he is the guy, right?!?!?
Staff has not replaced him so.... Gotta get over the head game and kick.
Price was brought in to back-up Baxa. That is all. If he can out kick him, he should be doing that daily on Greentree. If he cant win Greentree, what will he do in a game.
He did well on his 2 PATs. Not taking that away from him. Maybe he earns a start.
Just think the staff has more confidence in Baxa.

SideNote: Spicer was never 100% the guy either. All season they went back and forth. Niether worked and we got Lou. Problem solved. Maybe we go after a grad transfer if Baxa and Price can not work it out.
Spicer was used for distance punts and Feagles was used for pinning opponents deep. With the kicking situation looking similar to the punting situation last year. It would not surprise me to see them use a short range kicker and a long range kicker.

Advertisement
Back