2023 Andy Jean - Commits to Gators

Status
Not open for further replies.
So In your opinion, if we potentially miss out on Brown, Inniss, Keem, Jean…which is a humongous problem if this were the case…who do we turn to and why did we drop Seymore?

I know Cotrell was mentioned but if he didn’t commit after Emory hopped on board, idk just don’t feel like he’s looking at us seriously. ****ey would obviously be huge but another tough ask to pull yet another elite west coast guy.

For the record I think we get Jean but not Keem.

1657223520712.png

Advertisement
It’s a TE centric offense, that’s why they have questions, it’s not an offense that has high volume targets to the perimeter. It’s an Inside-Out Offense that designed to get the ball to the TE & the Slot, not so much the X & Z.

The only way to dispel that will come in September, but until then some WR’s might have questions to ask.

I don’t think it’s fair to just simply say they’re Divas if they have questions/concerns, if the only evidence they have to go off of is Michigan film. If you’re a WR that wants to get targets, watching Michigan’s offense from last year isn’t necessarily gonna excite you... It would if you’re a TE, hence the 3 TE commits we already got, but unfortunately that’s just something the Offense will have to show on the field before some WR prospects buy in.

Seeing is believing & they haven’t been able to see it yet; but luckily time is on our side.
I agree 100% with your assessment of the Michigan offense, but I think that was as much personnel driven as anything. The strength of Michigan's offense last year were the TE's and RB's. The WR's were slow.

All that to say I am afraid 2022 won't be a great season to establish our willingness to use the WR's as I believe the strength of our offense next year will be TE's and RB's, as opposed to WR's. I think our WR's are better than what Michigan had last year but as we saw in the spring game, we don't yet have any receiver(s) who would be classified as "go-to" WR's.

It may be a few years before we are playing with a wide open offense that showcases the WR's. Hopefully we don't miss out on too many recruits as a result.

Some would say Mario is cut from the same cloth. We'll see.

Mario and Gattis have referenced the offense Bama switched to when they opened it up as somewhat of a comp to what they are trying to install, without just saying we are going to replicate what they do there outright (would be weird). Ironically Lane Kiffin was the OC for part of those years. In fact, Mario was there from 2013-2016 and Lane was there from 2014-2016. Mario saw how successful that dynamic high powered offense could be against the best teams in CFB at the highest level. I think we are going to see something similar to those Lane Kiffin called Alabama offenses, personally, tailored to our personnel each year.

I think people will be pleasantly surprised. These guys both know they can't waste these great QB's and SFL skill kids.

Gattis' one year as WR/Co-OC at Bama:

Gattis spent the 2018 season as co-offensive coordinator and wide receivers coach at the University of Alabama, where he helped lead the Crimson Tide to the College Football Playoff and a National Championship Game appearance. While in Tuscaloosa, Gattis mentored All-American receiver Jerry Jeudy, the 2018 Biletnikoff Award winner, who caught 68 passes for 1,315 yards (19.3 avg.) and 14 touchdowns. In addition, he developed true freshman Jaylen Waddle, who earned first-team All-American honors by Pro Football Focus. The Crimson Tide had four receivers and a tight end surpass 500 yards receiving on the year.

In a few years you’ll be replacing this with “LOL, they went to what program?”

For Brown, his family are really not big fans of football let’s say.

But going to Kelly in the Deep South? Lmaoo
I thought his mom lives in Mississippi and he would be closer to her and she can see him play games. Idk man! BROWN I always thought would be a Cane. Very strange but you see these every cycle. I think there’s enough talent at the position, and knowing Washington and Joseph are dogs, if we do land Jean and someone like Fowlkes I’ll be happy. Especially with the question mark with Brown as a receiver to begin with.

Mario and Gattis have referenced the offense Bama switched to when they opened it up as somewhat of a comp to what they are trying to install, without just saying we are going to replicate what they do there outright (would be weird). Ironically Lane Kiffin was the OC for part of those years. In fact, Mario was there from 2013-2016 and Lane was there from 2014-2016. Mario saw how successful that dynamic high powered offense could be against the best teams in CFB at the highest level. I think we are going to see something similar to those Lane Kiffin called Alabama offenses, personally, tailored to our personnel each year.

I think people will be pleasantly surprised. These guys both know they can't waste these great QB's and SFL skill kids.

Gattis' one year as WR/Co-OC at Bama:

Gattis spent the 2018 season as co-offensive coordinator and wide receivers coach at the University of Alabama, where he helped lead the Crimson Tide to the College Football Playoff and a National Championship Game appearance. While in Tuscaloosa, Gattis mentored All-American receiver Jerry Jeudy, the 2018 Biletnikoff Award winner, who caught 68 passes for 1,315 yards (19.3 avg.) and 14 touchdowns. In addition, he developed true freshman Jaylen Waddle, who earned first-team All-American honors by Pro Football Focus. The Crimson Tide had four receivers and a tight end surpass 500 yards receiving on the year.

Mario wants to run power spread. I don't believe that's what they ran at bama when Gattis served under Locksley.

Advertisement
Mario wants to run power spread. I don't believe that's what they ran at bama when Gattis served under Locksley.
2018 they averaged 45 pts per game
38 rushes for almost 200 per game
29 pass attempts 300 per game

3 RB rotation with Damien Harris, Josh Jacobs and Najee Harris all with lots of touches

4 WR Jeudy, Ruggs, Waddle and Smith put up numbers.

TE Irv Smith even had 700 yds receiving

That is exactly what Mario wants to run

I agree 100% with your assessment of the Michigan offense, but I think that was as much personnel driven as anything. The strength of Michigan's offense last year were the TE's and RB's. The WR's were slow.

All that to say I am afraid 2022 won't be a great season to establish our willingness to use the WR's as I believe the strength of our offense next year will be TE's and RB's, as opposed to WR's. I think our WR's are better than what Michigan had last year but as we saw in the spring game, we don't yet have any receiver(s) who would be classified as "go-to" WR's.

It may be a few years before we are playing with a wide open offense that showcases the WR's. Hopefully we don't miss out on too many recruits as a result.
This is the best post explaining this topic.

Really a chicken vs the egg argument, where other coaches will say the chicken came first (the offense itself), while our coaches will argue the egg (personnel which determined said play style) came first.

Just a matter of who the recruit is more inclined to believe.

Last edited:
2018 they averaged 45 pts per game
38 rushes for almost 200 per game
29 pass attempts 300 per game

3 RB rotation with Damien Harris, Josh Jacobs and Najee Harris all with lots of touches

4 WR Jeudy, Ruggs, Waddle and Smith put up numbers.

TE Irv Smith even had 700 yds receiving

That is exactly what Mario wants to run

You just listed stats. I don't believe they ran the power spread.

Advertisement
That all being so, why, then, do we have to worry about signing that big time X, if it's not something that Gattis relies on? In a Gattis offense, signing the number 1 tight end (check), dynamic slot guys (check) and a stud running back (working on it) are more important than signing the number 1 wide receiver, no?

Missing on Brown, Innis, Hykeem and Jean would not be optimal, optics-wise. But if we are top 15 in the country in points and yards (i.e. Michigan last year) and we go 11-1 - does it matter which wide outs are on the team?
The idea is to put forth the best offense you can & accumulate the most talent you can, neglecting to sign a premier WR makes your Offense worse & easier to Defend, because unfortunately it’s not 1995 anymore & you kinda sorta have to throw the ball down the field in order to win in today’s game lol.

Yes it does matter what WR’s are on the team because we’re not Air Force or Army lol

I understand the rationalization, t’s just not realistic to think Miami can win the way yall hope we do while essentially having half the field cut off, it doesn’t work that way. It would be great if we could win without having WR’s lol, but I’m just not sure that’s actually going to materialize into what yall think it will.

I get what you’re trying to say, but the math doesn’t necessarily add up.

We should be fine at WR because we have a really strong recruiting program now, so it’s not something that people have to overreact to the extreme, it’s just a matter of why some WR’s may have questions, that’s all I’m saying.

This is the best about this topic.

Really a chicken vs the egg argument, where other coaches will say the chicken came first (the offense itself), while our coaches will argue the egg (personnel which determined said play style) came first.

Just a matter of who the recruit is more inclined to believe.
Yep. And who can sell. One thing about a good recruiter is there is always an angle for a sale.
Example;
Prolific passing offense and the recruiter sells the stats and a continuation of the same
Mediocre passing offense and the recruiter sells the need for better WR’s so that he offense can open up.

We have great recruiters up and down this staff, but maybe most notably with Gattis and Mario. They will push the right buttons. But you are correct that the “other” school will push the negative narrative and in the end it comes back to your point of which narrative does the recruit choose to believe.

They certainly ran spread at Bama. Joe Moorhead and Art Briles ran some power spread at MSU and Baylor. What people actually run and what they call their offense, and how that offense is different from snap to snap varies. Power spread helps protect your defense a little more. There are arguments on what is and isn't this spread or that spread anyway. Some of what we do will be defined by some as spread-option, even. I don't think many are running any "pure" offenses anymore. You stay varied. We're certainly talking mostly no-huddle and a lot of tempo. We are certainly using the deep ball to clear out the box. Gattis' Michigan offense last year, with mediocre QB and WR talent, was #2 in the country in 50+ yard chunk plays. I'm excited.

Last edited:
It’s a TE centric offense, that’s why they have questions, it’s not an offense that has high volume targets to the perimeter. It’s an Inside-Out Offense that designed to get the ball to the TE & the Slot, not so much the X & Z.

The only way to dispel that will come in September, but until then some WR’s might have questions to ask.

I don’t think it’s fair to just simply say they’re Divas if they have questions/concerns, if the only evidence they have to go off of is Michigan film. If you’re a WR that wants to get targets, watching Michigan’s offense from last year isn’t necessarily gonna excite you... It would if you’re a TE, hence the 3 TE commits we already got, but unfortunately that’s just something the Offense will have to show on the field before some WR prospects buy in.

Seeing is believing & they haven’t been able to see it yet; but luckily time is on our side.

Mario wants to run a power spreads - he's said as much. Did Locksley run that at bama when Gattis was under him?

Advertisement

Anyone who can’t objectively understand why some WR’s may have pause with a Mario/Gattis offense, isn’t being real.

When Mario was being courted and then hired, plenty posters debated about the type of offense we would see

Yeah and Dan Enos said he was going to run the “spread coast” here. I don’t care what coaches say or what they claim they want to do. All that matters is what happens on the field in actual games. If I’m a receiver and I’m watching Michigan’s offense last year, I’m hesitant on signing up for that.

The idea is to put forth the best offense you can & accumulate the most talent you can, neglecting to sign a premier WR makes your Offense worse & easier to Defend, because unfortunately it’s not 1995 anymore & you kinda sorta have to throw the ball down the field in order to win in today’s game lol.

Yes it does matter what WR’s are on the team because we’re not Air Force or Army lol

I understand the rationalization, t’s just not realistic to think Miami can win the way yall hope we do while essentially having half the field cut off, it doesn’t work that way. It would be great if we could win without having WR’s lol, but I’m just not sure that’s actually going to materialize into what yall think it will.

We should be fine at WR because we have a really strong recruiting program now, so it’s not something that people have to overreact to the extreme, it’s just a matter of why some WR’s may have questions, that’s all I’m saying.
You also kinda sorta don't need Randy Moss 2.0 in order to throw the ball downfield or win in todays game - see Georgia/Michigan ca. 2021.

I'm just pointing out that if what you've been saying about Gattis' offense is true (maybe this is too daft a summary but something along the lines of "he didn't utilize outside receivers much at Michigan and therefore don't expect it here"), then signing Hykeem/Innis is less important than Riley Williams/Robby Washington. If he plans on adding a more vertical/outside the numbers aspect to the offense, then, yeah, we need to land Hykeem/JoJo/Jeremiah. That said, if Key Smith paces the wide receivers with 50 catches and 600 yards - meanwhile osu has three guys go 70+ and 1000 yards - it's gonna be a tough sell.

Either way I'm happy as long as we are scoring points a ton of points and winning a ton of games - something I believe is possible even with a 1995 (Josh Gattis) offense.

Advertisement

What’s your take on Melo and jacolby actually turning into big time wrs this year along with smith and ladson

What’s your take on Melo and jacolby actually turning into big time wrs this year along with smith and ladson
It’s possible, but it will take some time...

I think they were better suited for the previous offense, so there will be an adjustment period.

I don’t see it with Ladson.

The group of Brinson, George, K Smith, B Smith, Young & Horton has potential to be a good group, we’ll see how they develop & how fast they can get comfortable in the offense.

Restrepo will have the best #’s among the WR’s, he’s the most consistent route runner & the offense is tailored for the Slot.

The TE’s will be the most productive, Arroyo, Mallory & Skinner will thrive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back