And Now A Closet Full of Shoes Will Drop

Pretty soon, some really rich person/people is/are going to realize that he/she/they could make a lot of money by starting up a new league patterned after the major junior hockey leagues in Canada.
The problem with that though is there are already too many “major” Junior hockey leagues. The actual legit money making leagues with legit prospects are only a few. In Canada and North America there are a lot of wannabe junior leagues where players and coaches go to waste and teams that disbanded because they run out of money.

Advertisement
You know the old saying. Two things for sure death and taxes. If I make money I pay taxes. Now who does it hurt more tax a full ride to Miami or a full ride to a state school. Big difference in cost I bet.

Not if you attend state school "out of state student"

The problem with that though is there are already too many “major” Junior hockey leagues. The actual legit money making leagues with legit prospects are only a few. In Canada and North America there are a lot of wannabe junior leagues where players and coaches go to waste and teams that disbanded because they run out of money.

It's not a perfect model, but the OHL, QMJHL, and WHL are all viable, and football in the USA is potentially a much bigger market than hockey is anywhere. The template is there for someone to build a league (like the CHL) for the best 16-20 year olds and get higher education out of the big money sports business, which they're probably going to have to do eventually anyway. Once players start getting paid in the open, the floodgates are going to open, and we're going to be left with an even larger gap between the haves and the have nots. Eventually, the have nots are going to give up trying to compete with the massive programs. One thing I especially like about the CHL model is that players who aren't cutting it are still able to go back and play at the amateur/university level. If the top 10% or so of football players are out of the equation by playing at a semi-pro level (like the CHL), then the playing field levels for the have nots and potentially brings back actual competition to the sport.

Anyway, I'm not naive enough to think that this happens anytime soon, but i do think that the economics of paying players and competition from the haves will eventually lead to huge changes in 'college football' as we know it. It'll be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

Advertisement
It's not a perfect model, but the OHL, QMJHL, and WHL are all viable, and football in the USA is potentially a much bigger market than hockey is anywhere. The template is there for someone to build a league (like the CHL) for the best 16-20 year olds and get higher education out of the big money sports business, which they're probably going to have to do eventually anyway. Once players start getting paid in the open, the floodgates are going to open, and we're going to be left with an even larger gap between the haves and the have nots. Eventually, the have nots are going to give up trying to compete with the massive programs. One thing I especially like about the CHL model is that players who aren't cutting it are still able to go back and play at the amateur/university level. If the top 10% or so of football players are out of the equation by playing at a semi-pro level (like the CHL), then the playing field levels for the have nots and potentially brings back actual competition to the sport.

Anyway, I'm not naive enough to think that this happens anytime soon, but i do think that the economics of paying players and competition from the haves will eventually lead to huge changes in 'college football' as we know it. It'll be interesting to see how it all shakes out.
You make a really great point and I think its a great comparison and connection to what Canada does in the OHL, QMJHL, and WHL. If they were able to go back to a university or a higher level junior league like hockey you'd probably see a lot more college graduates as well an influx of actual competition, you make a really valid point. I agree it will be interesting to see what they do with the gap between the powerhouse programs and the smaller level schools. I hope it doesn't ruin college football because IMO Junior hockey is watered down now a days.

You make a really great point and I think its a great comparison and connection to what Canada does in the OHL, QMJHL, and WHL. If they were able to go back to a university or a higher level junior league like hockey you'd probably see a lot more college graduates as well an influx of actual competition, you make a really valid point. I agree it will be interesting to see what they do with the gap between the powerhouse programs and the smaller level schools. I hope it doesn't ruin college football because IMO Junior hockey is watered down now a days.

Agreed on junior hockey being watered down some, but also consider that CHL players can get drafted by NHL teams and then sent back to their junior teams for further development. Then they either get brought up when they're ready, sent to the minors once their eligibility is done, or they go back to university. No minors in football, obviously, but 'college football' would presumably fill that role. In the meantime, I think college football is probably at its peak now, which means there's nowhere to go but down from here. Paying the players will likely hasten that fall as fans of the have nots start to lose interest because they know that any hope they ever had of being able to compete with the big time programs is gone.

Advertisement
Agreed on junior hockey being watered down some, but also consider that CHL players can get drafted by NHL teams and then sent back to their junior teams for further development. Then they either get brought up when they're ready, sent to the minors once their eligibility is done, or they go back to university. No minors in football, obviously, but 'college football' would presumably fill that role. In the meantime, I think college football is probably at its peak now, which means there's nowhere to go but down from here. Paying the players will likely hasten that fall as fans of the have nots start to lose interest because they know that any hope they ever had of being able to compete with the big time programs is gone.
I actually forgot you could do that in the CHL. Which I think is really smart they have that structure. Im curious what the eligibility limit there is going back and forth is there is a certain number of times you can go back? Yea you're right college football essentially would become almost like a minor league level. I totally agree, the athletes deserved to get paid but the future gap between the athletes and schools will create quite a quandary.

I actually forgot you could do that in the CHL. Which I think is really smart they have that structure. Im curious what the eligibility limit there is going back and forth is there is a certain number of times you can go back? Yea you're right college football essentially would become almost like a minor league level. I totally agree, the athletes deserved to get paid but the future gap between the athletes and schools will create quite a quandary.

The NHL teams have to send them back to their junior teams by a certain date or number games, can't remember, and then the player has to stay with the junior team for the rest of the season if they're sent back.

IMG_71819085958563.jpeg

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back