Coaching An Interaction with Coach Guidry

WestEndZone

Retired staff
Premium
This may be reading way into things, but below is a recount of a very brief interaction I had with coach Guidry just before kickoff. I believe it paints a picture of a man who is hungry, who cares, and who runs a defense the right way. Anyone who knows me, know that I believe defense is more about mindset and effort than anything else.

I am fortunate enough to sit right under the west end goal posts, so I have a decent vantage point of the ongoings in the tunnel and on the sidelines in my area. Sometimes I am able to have very brief interactions with some of the players and coaches.

Accordingly, I was able to catch Coach Guidry walking out to the field right before the game. He snuck out of the tunnel a few minutes before the team ran out of the smoke, walking along the back of the end zone towards the Miami sideline.

He was alone amidst the pregame chaos. He wore his hat brim low, with a lowered gaze. He walking with purpose; I couldn’t see his eyes. I could tell he was in a dark and solitary place. As he approached my section, I yelled “Guidry” while I raised a clenched fist—it was the only gesture I thought would match the quiet intensity he was exuding.

He slightly raised his gaze at me such that I could barely make out his eyes through the shadow of his cap, he acknowledged my gesture, nodded in acceptance, and continued on his way without breaking his pace.

During the game, we saw a defense that played with relentless intensity, effort and violence. It matched the silent and focused intensity that I observed in Guidry during pregame.

A whole thread can be made of the mistakes we made, but it would only be second to the speed, relentlessness and violence we played with. The defense’s performance was a bit clouded by the special teams blunders. Bottom line: we physically kicked their ***.

Like the great Miami defenses of our past, we were teetering from whistle to whistle—it matched coach Guidry’s demeanor pregame. I hope we can keep summoning angels and demons on a weekly basis.

Go Canes.

Advertisement
This may be reading way into things, but below is a recount of a very brief interaction I had with coach Guidry just before kickoff. I believe it paints a picture of a man who is hungry, who cares, and who runs a defense the right way. Anyone who knows me, know that I believe defense is more about mindset and effort than anything else.

I am fortunate enough to sit right under the west end goal posts, so I have a decent vantage point of the ongoings in the tunnel and on the sidelines in my area. Sometimes I am able to have very brief interactions with some of the players and coaches.

Accordingly, I was able to catch Coach Guidry walking out to the field right before the game. He snuck out of the tunnel a few minutes before the team ran out of the smoke, walking along the back of the end zone towards the Miami sideline.

He was alone amidst the pregame chaos. He wore his hat brim low, with a lowered gaze. He walking with purpose; I couldn’t see his eyes. I could tell he was in a dark and solitary place. As he approached my section, I yelled “Guidry” while I raised a clenched fist—it was the only gesture I thought would match the quiet intensity he was exuding.

He slightly raised his gaze at me such that I could barely make out his eyes through the shadow of his cap, he acknowledged my gesture, nodded in acceptance, and continued on his way without breaking his pace.

During the game, we saw a defense that played with relentless intensity, effort and violence. It matched the silent and focused intensity that I observed in Guidry during pregame.

A whole thread can be made of the mistakes we made, but it would only be second to the speed, relentlessness and violence we played with. The defense’s performance was a bit clouded by the special teams blunders. Bottom line: we physically kicked their ***.

Like the great Miami defenses of our past, we were teetering from whistle to whistle—it matched coach Guidry’s demeanor pregame. I hope we can keep summoning angels and demons on a weekly basis.

Go Canes.
Last year I had the exact same interaction with Steele but instead of holding up a clinched fist my clinched fist was followed by my left arm hitting my right inner elbow with the words “Hey Steele, go **** yourself “. He gazed back with a confused look as if he’d just filled his diaper to the brim. Then he nodded and sped off with one hand covering his ***. As If he was holding the poo at bay where it wouldn’t seep out.

Go Canes.
Ngl...that was a weird anecdote

77818c06-574d-4e42-81e5-13c7741e98db_text.gif

Advertisement
Last year I had the exact same interaction with Steele but instead of holding up a clinched fist my clinched fist was followed by my left arm hitting my right inner elbow with the words “Hey Steele, go **** yourself “. He gazed back with a confused look as if he’d just filled his diaper to the brim. Then he nodded and sped off with one hand covering his ***. As If he was holding the poo at bay where it wouldn’t seep out.

Can’t believe Saban hired him. What a terrible mistake that was.

Advertisement
I laughed way too hard at this. You got me bro

Advertisement

Go Canes.
It’s not surprising
Our last two defensive coordinators either had a lisp or low T
Neither one is very inspirational

We got a good one in Guidry
I just hope both our coordinators stay for a while

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back