An Impotent Old Man: A Mark Richt Offense

WhatTheHell

"WE CANT DEMAND PERFECTION.”
Banned
I’m going to put aside that we are now, in his third year, 2-6 in our last 8 games vs Power 5 teams; a stat so embarrassing that the last time it occurred, it was accomplished by the infamous Al Golden, who was promptly fired after that sixth loss.

Instead I am going to focus on two key issues that are boiling my grits and ones that make me wish I had a dog so I could beat it.

I. Mark Richt Runs A Patrick Nix Offense

This one is real self-explanatory but infuriating nonetheless. As I watch my former Watch Out For That Boy candidate, Lincoln Riley (shout out Duval) torch scoreboards at OU, it reminds me of just how simplistic and embarrassing our offense really is. The next hot name offensively is former FAU OC, current Houston OC, and star pupil of his old name, Kendal Briles.

Both of these guys do what many good coordinators these days do, and what Richt can’t: run an offense that seeks mismatches, explosive plays, and confusing a defense all at an uptempo pace. Richt’s Offense is very vanilla, and consists of lining up and beating the man in front of you. That’s it, there is no other goal or method.

Contrast that with these high-flying, circus act types of modern offense and it is depressing. There is no pre snap motion with Jeff Thomas flying behind the line like a banshee, taking an end around. We won’t then come back to that and play fake off of it. He should be used like Tyrell Hill. We don’t run many counters, or misdirection plays. No fake screens into draws. Nothing before the snap to make the defense hesitate or make a false step for even one second to open up running or passing lines. No plays that create mismatches or make the defense think. We do not make teams defend sideline to sideline, and they never have to worry about misdirection. We are predictable. We are a vanilla, boring, porridge offense fitting of a liver spotted old man who was fired from last job and had playcalling duties forcefully removed from his command.

II. Richt Severely Botched The QB Position

As I noted last week, every progrum during a successful run was forced to manage idiots, thugs, dumb hicks, and goons. Without fail. In our case, Perry was allegedly benched for one of our both: changing a play at the LOS, posting a social media video with money and gold teeth. To most normal people, that’s not bench worthy. To a stiff old uptight washout like Richt, Perry should be burned alive. Great teams learn to coexist with the worst thugs possible, yet we couldn’t allow a young kid to change a play? Make him run, chew him out. But to bench the QB that has given the offense a spark and shown he’s capable of making throws Malik can’t over that and a video? Sad and out of touch.

Now, imagine this. You’re the offense. You’ve suffered through an inaccurate imbecile in Rosier that has no business playing at a Power 5. Perry finally gets time and brings a spark. He’s making big time throws. He’s leading comebacks vs FSU with 4 TDS. You have energy and momentum. Things are turning. But wait? What’s this? That’s — that’s Malik Rosier’s music.

Richt once again shows his knack for not knowing when to pull a QB. UVA wasn’t the time. Now, not only did this deflate the offense for UVA and BC, imagine being on this top ranked defense and having to watch that? Having to pick up the slack. The same thing happened in 03. Eventually, these guys quit.

So, Richt is such a bad OC and playcalled that UGA ripped those duties from him. In an era where splitting out your freak TE Brevin Jordan wide to create mismatches, uptempo offenses gas defenses, misdirection and motion create gaping holes, we do none of that. We snap the ball with :10 left on the clock, and run a high school scrimmage offense.

All of this occurring while Richt botches the QB position, plays the least talented guy whos useless for our future plans, and disheartens the entire roster.

An utterly epic failure this year by Richt on his side of the ball.

Last edited:
Advertisement
It’s maddeningly indefensible, all of it.

The only hope is that it forces significant, meaningful change. But given the lack of foresight and leadership we’ve seen from the AD, it’ll have to come from Richt. And based on the stubbornness, rigidity, and complete lack of awareness he’s displayed thus far, there’s little reason to think it will.

What a depressing season.

It’s maddeningly indefensible, all of it.

The only hope is that it forces significant, meaningful change. But given the lack of foresight and leadership we’ve seen from the AD, it’ll have to come from Richt. And based on the stubbornness, rigidity, and complete lack of awareness he’s displayed thus far, there’s little reason to think it will.

What a depressing season.

The thing that provides no hope is that him being in charge of the offense and playcalling was apparently a huge bargaining chip in him coming here.

I don’t think he’ll relinquish this role and he’s gonna sink his Little Rascal begins his own offense.

Advertisement
It fills me with the same sense of hopelessness and despair that D'Onofrio's defense did. So many decisions that so obviously don't make any sense. I can't imagine that there is any other coach out there that would still be playing Rosier at this point. He's inexcusably bad. Not Miami material. ****, not D1 material. Another coach would have found a way at all costs to get someone else ready and in the game. But here we are somehow, someway still trotting Rosier out there.

Advertisement
Back