An actual fairly intelligent and sensible article.

I have no idea why you wrote any of that. I am not blaming players. And I certainly am not defending our putrid staph.

You chosed to claim Pope would be killing it elsewhere. It’s a dumb claim considering plenty of guys on our roster are outperforming him here. Maybe he would, maybe he wouldn’t, you don’t know but it’s a bad example of any point you could rationally be trying to make.

As I have been pointing out since Coker was at Um, it’s not one thing or the other between recruiting and coaching. Both have been clearly subpar. There are plenty of fans, perhaps you included, who think any admission that player talent isn’t Alabama level is somehow a defense of our coaching. It isn’t, and everyone who goes for that trope is triggered, imo. Coaches are supposed to evaluate and recruit as well as develop and coach. It’s no surprise that our past 5 coaches have been below grade in multiple areas.

I don’t take a player not being Bama quality as a defense of a coach.

But I know that we have kids they wanted. Which means they thought that the kid could produce.

See I don’t give this staff any credibility because they’ve never produced a super productive WR. So I’m not writing these kids off as “Overrated”. If this staff could even produce a Lenoard Hankerson I would say ok maybe these kids don’t get it. But when every single player you bring in falls off. That’s a Majority coaching issue.

Advertisement
I finally decided to click on the thread & link... Sigh.

Fairly intelligent? It literally said nothing of substance.

Not one iota. NEGGED

I don’t take a player not being Bama quality as a defense of a coach.

But I know that we have kids they wanted. Which means they thought that the kid could produce.

See I don’t give this staff any credibility because they’ve never produced a super productive WR. So I’m not writing these kids off as “Overrated”. If this staff could even produce a Lenoard Hankerson I would say ok maybe these kids don’t get it. But when every single player you bring in falls off. That’s a Majority coaching issue.
You're conflating different issues and exhibiting a logic flaw in analysis here.

Alabama has a roster full of guys we know they wanted because they gave them actual scholarships. And most of _their_ kids don't star at Alabama.

You're taking unconfirmed reports that they wanted our guys as concluding from that that those kids would have done well at Alabama. But plenty of kids who report Alabama offers don't even get the chance to go there, and again, plenty of kids who go there don't excel there. Because recruiting is uncertain and competition means there are limited chances to excel, in any case.

Did Pope have a chance to go to Alabama? Probably. He's probably one of the very few guys on our roster who they would have actually taken on NSD. (Reported 'offers' on fan sites definitely are not evidence that Alabama would have taken a kid on NSD.') And yet that doesn't mean he'd excel there. You're projecting other kids' success onto him because they recruited him. That's flawed logic.

That aside, no one should give our staff any credibility for any reason. Some of our kids were overrated, some not. Whatever. Not every kid we bring in underperforms. Rousseau looks great. Harley progressed in his third year. Osborn hit the ground running. Wiggins has progressed. Our coaching stinks and it doesn't put our kids in the position to succeed. We can agree there. There's still a reason some of our WRs perform better than other of our WRs.

Advertisement
Back