American Heritage HC Pat Surtain Discusses State Championship, 2022 Class, And T-Rob Hire

Advertisement
I think everyone is reading Way Too much into what he said. He basically endorsed the hiring of TRob while attempting to remain friends with MR. Him sending his son to Bama was the prudent and best choice especially after he is drafted in the 1st round with a ship to boot. His statement about Rumph was a half-hearted attempt to appear cordial to Rumph nothing more.

Without knowing anyone personally, that's how I took it. No need to get offended over what was purely a (good) political statement

Coach Surtain also gave his take on Miami’s new defensive backs coach hire, Travaris Robinson.

“That’s my boy. We go back a long way. **** of a DB coach. The things he’s done at Florida and South Carolina with his DB’s, the track record speaks for itself. I’m sure he’ll go to Miami and do a great job also. I don’t like what they did to my boy Mike Rumph, but he’ll still have a helping hand in what they do over there. I
U Mad Reaction GIF

Advertisement
In 5 years here, manny’s highest CB drafted was Mike Jackson in the 5th round who’s isn’t even in the league anymore i think. I know since were all huge fans it’s hard for us to fathom local kids wanting to play somewhere else but if you just think about it rationally without canes glasses it’s not that hard. Stay home, lose to middle of the road teams and possibly get drafted. Or go to Bama , play for nattys, get tons of national exposure and get drafted high.

Who really believes that Surtain would not have gone in the first round if he came to the U. **** he would have had a real chance to test his skills here since he would have actually been put to the test. This Bama crap is overrated they aren't coaching nobody up, they start w the best players and end with the best players they don't make that much more improvement skillwise than players do anywhere else. In fact it can be argued that Bama players aren't as prepared for the pros as guys coming from lesser programs, just take a look at their last few star receivers, Juedy, Ruggs, Ridley and even Cooper are not tearing up the league.

If all of those great Bama players that hail from South Florida or even Florida came to the U (yeah the coaches would have messed it up) the U would at least be playoff bound most years.

He's a 3 & out guy who won a national championship at Bama, got coached up by Nick Saban, and will be a top 10 pick. Even though we all would have loved him at Miami, it's tough to argue that he made a poor choice.
Not saying that Surtain Jr. made a poor choice choosing Bama, but rather that MAYBE Surtain Sr.'s guy Rumph lost his position because he couldn't land recruits like Surtain Jr, and Surtain Sr did absolutely nothing to help his guy when he actually had a chance. In short, Surtain Sr. is a hypocrite for being critical of UM's handling of Rumph when Surtain Sr. could have helped his guy but chose not to.
My basic point, look in the mirror Pat Surtain for who did Rumph wrong.

Advertisement
lmao. my boy for other kids just not my own bc **** putting my kids draft stock in his hands
We werent even in consideration with Lil Pat. Thats the funny part...and were running way behind with Tyson for most of the time.

Mike is his boy, But.....lol Business is Business.

Safe to say we have a better shot with AH dbs currently with T ROB.

We werent even in consideration with Lil Pat. Thats the funny part...and were running way behind with Tyson for most of the time.

Mike is his boy, But.....lol Business is Business.

Safe to say we have a better shot with AH dbs currently with T ROB.
It was hard to beat uga when you just hired the coach they fired

“The most important thing is to just stay on him. T-Rob is not someone to sugar coat things, he’s real firm in his direction, he is going to coach you hard, and I think that’s what a kid like that needs. He doesn’t need anybody to lay off of him. He needs to be pushed and I think T-Rob will do that.”

I think this about JW may have rang true about PS2 as well. Chances are Sr knew that Rumph wouldn't push his son and develop him like he wanted, on top of 1000 other reasons I'm sure.
Stop with that Rumph wouldn't push his son! Rumph was in the NFL for 8 years. Just because Rumph was the HC of Campbell and Surtain Jr doesn't mean, Miami was going to get them once Rumph joined the Miami staff in 2016. Alabama, UGA and other had been recruiting both before Diaz became DC in 2016. These schools also were putting CB in the NFL at a higher rate and high draft picks than Miami.

Advertisement
Why would you question that decision when we were an absolute dumpster fire? I wouldn't have sent my kid here either, it's business, nothing personal. You have to be able to separate the two in situations like that. People here are straight up homers as he made the best decision he could at the time. Your kid, that year, Bama or us, you're dumb as **** if you're pushing here. Ultimately it's the kids decision and he made his, wisely picking Bama.
If someone is “your boy” you should trust them enough to send your kid to the school.

and understand that you don’t like how they “did your boy” but the reality is, you and others who didn’t push for kids to go there are part of the reason he’s gone.

sorry, if my kid had PSII's football abilities, i would have sent him to Alabama also, even though I am a UM alum, a fan since the mid 1970s and a season ticket holder for 20 years. you don't send your kid to UM if he could go to Harvard. family first.

Unlike you, I would have sent my son to the University of Miami.

After his college and NFL career he would have a diploma that would read The University of Miami, not the University of Alabammy, and he would have the respect and admiration of his family, friends, locals, and community as a man of principle and not a shallow frontrunner.

Family First.

The U always.

Last edited:
Advertisement
If someone is “your boy” you should trust them enough to send your kid to the school.

and understand that you don’t like how they “did your boy” but the reality is, you and others who didn’t push for kids to go there are part of the reason he’s gone.

He was just a position coach (he's not the DC who matters as much as your position coach, in fact more) and you've got an unstable situation. No, you don't send your kid to your boy just because he's your boy.

Then factor in the machine that Bama was and still is versus what we were, that's where you go. Add in the way we finished that season, there's no way we're landing a recruit of that caliber late.

You don't push kids anywhere. You let the kid make the decision if all things are equal and they weren't even close to equal. Speak up if there's a big difference and your kid is about to make a really dumbass call. You have real talks with real points, weigh all the options, and hopefully your kid makes the right decision.

Unlike you, I would have sent my son to the University of Miami.

After his college and NFL career he would have a diploma that would read The University of Miami, not the University of Alabammy, and he would have the respect and admiration of his family, friends, locals, and community as a man of principle and not a shallow frontrunner.

Family First.

The U always.
PSII a shallow frontrunner? por favor. que pena!

i dont think PSII cares one iota of what the degree that he doesn't have from U of A and won't get from U of A says.

PSII a shallow frontrunner? por favor. que pena!

i dont think PSII cares one iota of what the degree that he doesn't have from U of A and won't get from U of A says.
Nope, nor should he. Nobody would dispute that a UM degree is considered more prestigious than an Alabama degree. But outside of a few industries (high finance, legal, medicine...) nobody cares where the **** you went to school. Especially after your first job out of college. And I say this as a guy who went to a liberal arts college ranked #1 or #2 nationally on whatever report ranks schools annually

Advertisement
Back