2025 Ambidextrous QB Mikey Gow

Burricane

So Icy

Just saw this dude can throw with both hands. Not a long clip but still pretty impressive. 6’1” and 170 pounds. Being recruited by OSU, Nebraska, and Notre Dame

This isn’t so much of a “should we recruit him” thread, but more so a discussion on whether or not a QB like him would be valuable, being able to throw with either hand in different situations.

Would like to hear others input

Advertisement
It’s cool that he can do that but these kinds of things don’t prove you can be a QB, they prove you can do trick shots. Kyle Boller could throw it through the uprights off his knees from the 50yd line. Great, but he sucked as a QB. Jamarcus Russell could throw it 80 yds. Pat White had a rocket arm. The list goes on. Let the kid do it in a game, TDs from each arm and then you can start talking about the value of this skill.

Just saw this dude can throw with both hands. Not a long clip but still pretty impressive. 6’1” and 170 pounds. Being recruited by OSU, Nebraska, and Notre Dame

This isn’t so much of a “should we recruit him” thread, but more so a discussion on whether or not a QB like him would be valuable, being able to throw with either hand in different situations.

Would like to hear others input

Definitely valuable if he’s effective with both. He’ll never throw back across his body!

The future is a qb, rb, and several wrs who can call run, pass, and catch. Five qb/wr/rbs all in one.

Good luck stopping that, Mr. Steele.

It’s cool that he can do that but these kinds of things don’t prove you can be a QB, they prove you can do trick shots. Kyle Boller could throw it through the uprights off his knees from the 50yd line. Great, but he sucked as a QB. Jamarcus Russell could throw it 80 yds. Pat White had a rocket arm. The list goes on. Let the kid do it in a game, TDs from each arm and then you can start talking about the value of this skill.
I think you missed a line from my original post.

I was moreso looking for a discussion on whether or not a QB who could throw with both hands would be valuable.

For example, if this kid were to continue using both hands to throw the ball and develops well, would that make him a more coveted QB recruit than others?

Obviously currently it’s just going to be a party trick, given the fact that he’s only going to be a sophomore and there’s no highlight tape to back up his play

Advertisement

I was moreso looking for a discussion on whether or not a QB who could throw with both hands would be valuable.

For example, if this kid were to continue using both hands to throw the ball and develops well, would that make him a more coveted QB recruit than others?

Obviously currently it’s just going to be a party trick, given the fact that he’s only going to be a sophomore and there’s no highlight tape to back up his play
I didn’t miss your point, my last line reaffirms mine. If the kid does it in a game, then you can begin to assess its usefulness and rank it as a skill that you could potentially utilize

There's a lot of advantages to ambidexterity.

Personally speaking.

I can scratch my doo-dads with either hand.

Advertisement

Its not a negative, but the amount of time he spent training his weaker arm, is certainly a negative. He could have gotten double the amount of reps, had he just trained with one arm.

as a pitcher, this would be valuable to be able to contribute on fewer days' rest via a staggered schedule. as a qb, seems like a waste of trying to perfect his craft from one side
That is exactly it. There are a bunch of activities that benefit from being ambidextrous, but very few where the benefit outweighs the loss of practice with the other hand. Switch hitting in baseball or learning to shoot with your non dominant hand, in case it gets injured in battle are 2 that come to mind. Or in a situation where you can only train your dominant hand so much(like you mentioned with pitching), but even with that you are probably better off with the extra recovery, since taxing your other arm, will damage your bodies ability to have your dominant arm recover and you will still end up with less reps. Throwing with your off hand is certainly beneficial, but not at the detriment of training your other hand.

Advertisement
Pretty **** cool, regardless of what one thinks of it overall.

Right arm is his dominant. Left though has a quicker release and somewhat sidearm.

Now if he could petition to have two balls instead of one........

Wouldn't mind seeing a game of his to see if he actually uses his left rolling out that way and the right that way.

Baddest ambidextrous qb was Darian Hagan of Colorado. His downfall was being undersized at 5'10 185 but he could legit throw 70 yds with his right arm and 50 with the left.

Advertisement
Pretty **** cool, regardless of what one thinks of it overall.

Right arm is his dominant. Left though has a quicker release and somewhat sidearm.

Now if he could petition to have two balls instead of one........

Wouldn't mind seeing a game of his to see if he actually uses his left rolling out that way and the right that way.
I’m no expert but the lefty throws look like a fun party trick that maybe helps out on a busted play now and then?

Advertisement
Back