Amari Carter Hit Observation

The rule needs some tweaking. Intent has to play a bigger role in this stuff. That was a football play. Carter didn't lead with the head; led with the shoulder and tried to let up. Could've decapitated the kid if he wanted to.

Receiver's head dropped and helmets had some incidental contact, but Carter led with the shoulder. By letter of the law, sure, it's "targeting"—but something's gotta give here.

Advertisement
It's an impossible play for these guys to make anymore, but he did what he had to so there was no chance of that ending up a touchdown.

It won't change, but they are applying the targeting rule way too liberally. It should be for a very specific instance where somebody made no attempt but to lead with their helmet. A guy crashing on a wide receiver in the end zone, who makes an effort to lead with his shoulder shouldn't get ejected because the wide receiver cowered like a little f**.

Terrible call. He did everything you’re supposed to do. He led with his shoulder the best he could. It wasn’t malicious. It was a football play. On TV, the announcers basically said that he tried to make the hit the right way, but sometimes you just have to concede the touchdown, which is absolutely insane.

they said that on tv? awful

Advertisement
Not sure what they expect AC to do in that situation. If he starts thinking about it in the future, he risks hurting himself on some awkward contact trying to avoid the penalty. It’s a contact sport and intent should 100% be taken into consideration.

Face mask on DeeJay sees your face mask.

I do remember that one too. Although we were backed up in our own territory and likely would have ended up punting anyway if we're being honest. The one they missed on Garvin could have really saved UVA's skin.

Advertisement
Targeting rule is *****made

giphy-23.gif

it was without a doubt targeting. I doubt Amari did it on purpose, but it was still targeting.

Advertisement
Love the aggression and that he saved our *** there. It wasn't dirty, but by the letter of the law it was targeting. Yes, he tried to turn the shoulder and the WR came down, but it happens fast so hits like that are inevitable.

It was absolutely the right thing to do targeting or not.

Regardless that it was in the end zone you have to send a message on those types of plays and punish the WRs and make them fear that they will be punished severely every time.

Trust me Dubois was not the same after that play.

Advertisement
No problem with the play I think him staying on the field may be one of the dumbest things I’ve seen in sports right next to jr smith running out the clock for the cavs.

Both Jarren and N’Kosi took helmet to helmet hits in the last two weeks with no call.

So yeah I lost it on this call

Terrible call. He did everything you’re supposed to do. He led with his shoulder the best he could. It wasn’t malicious. It was a football play. On TV, the announcers basically said that he tried to make the hit the right way, but sometimes you just have to concede the touchdown, which is absolutely insane.
If you were at the game you know this was a b.s. call. Lost in all of the talk was that DuBois (one of their top receivers) never returned to the game & was seen after with his shoulder in a sling. It was worth taking the penalty (not that I like seeing guys get hurt)

Advertisement
Back