Am I the only one worried more about the pass D than the OL?

I said this in the stat roll thread, but my only real concern with the pass defense is just the corners tackling a little better when they let up stuff underneath, other than that I'm not too concerned. If we get Lucas back for FSU I think the defense will really click into place with Bryce at Nickel, Lucas and EOC at CB and Dunnigan/Thornton and Poyser at Safety
Completely agree. Tackling better in space would make a big difference.
 
That being said the bolded was against a team that averages around 8 passes a game and less than 55 passing ypg.
They also averaged 220 ypg rushing.

If a run heavy team wants to abandon their entire offense because they know it won’t work against us, I’m ok with that.
 
Even last year, our pass defense was a rather pedestrian #43. What saves it is that everything is short, this year we're giving up 5.3 yards per pass. In other words, teams have to dink and dunk to move the ball aganist us.

That just seems to me how Corey Hetherman runs his defense.
That’s the Hetherman way. Most college teams aren’t efficient enough to consistently sustain long drives. Take away the explosives, stop the run, and most college offenses are eventually going to stall. That’s exactly what Hetherman’s defense is betting on.
 
I’m not concerned about the pass defense cause I think our biggest problem there is the injuries. Once we get 1 of OJ, X or Slime back it will completely change our results there.

That being said the bolded was against a team that averages around 8 passes a game and less than 55 passing ypg.
They threw the ball over 3x more in this game than their season average due to the nature of the game (blowout and limited success running the ball - focus of their offense) and still only mustered 137 yards through the air.

The pass defense hasn't been other-worldly, but it definitely isn't a concern. As the injured guys return, the pass defense will only improve - I imagine when Lucas comes back we will see Bryce more at nickel instead of Thornton (he along with our LBs have been issues in pass defense).

If we want to zero in on the real issues in our pass defense, I would point to our LBs inability to gain depth in their drops (this has been a problem going back to Guidry).
 
Back
Top