Am I the only one worried more about the pass D than the OL?

Well when 3/4 top corners are out yeah the unit gets worse.

If Lucas and OJ can get back by year’s end I think the secondary will be fine.

If we settle on a starting five OL and let them gel I also believe they’ll be above average at minimum.

Basically, survive and get experience until a hopeful playoff birth and then the teams potential skyrockets as it matters most.


Lucas will be back AS EARLY AS this week. Though it seems more likely to be F$U.
 
I said this in the stat roll thread, but my only real concern with the pass defense is just the corners tackling a little better when they let up stuff underneath, other than that I'm not too concerned. If we get Lucas back for FSU I think the defense will really click into place with Bryce at Nickel, Lucas and EOC at CB and Dunnigan/Thornton and Poyser at Safety
 
Corey Heatherman runs a zone scheme. His entire defense revolves around bringing pressure and scheming defenders to be in position to make tackles on hot routes. It’s one reason why teams compile a ton of three yard passes against us. The other reason is that teams know they can’t just sit in the pocket against us so they scheme all kinds of quick game/move the pocket stuff to neutralize the pass rush.

We need to focus on not allowing the guy who catches the three yard pass to get YAC. If that guy breaks a tackle and picks up ten yards, the defense is worthless.

Being down your two starting corners can limit what you’re comfortable calling also. Especially if your offense is going three and out and you need to sub DBs to keep guys fresh. You’re no longer subbing your #3 corner, it’s now your #6 corner who’s getting snaps.
 
I carry penicillin spray for when I have to take a dump in public...
GIF by SoulPancake
 
Even last year, our pass defense was a rather pedestrian #43. What saves it is that everything is short, this year we're giving up 5.3 yards per pass. In other words, teams have to dink and dunk to move the ball aganist us.

That just seems to me how Corey Hetherman runs his defense.
 
I’m still very worried about the LBs inability to cover and the DBs depth just because of injuries. If the DB room was healthy this defense would be tremendous but Lucas Antoine need to come back quickly.

This QB sucks at throwing but knowing UM their TEs are likely going to eat us alive in coverage with Toure turned around like he hasn’t seen 5000 college snaps.
Stanford’s TE went off because he’s an NFL TE and their best offensive player.

Wake’s TE’s caught 3 balls for 50 yards.

At least do some research before making lazy declarations.
 
Even last year, our pass defense was a rather pedestrian #43. What saves it is that everything is short, this year we're giving up 5.3 yards per pass. In other words, teams have to dink and dunk to move the ball aganist us.

That just seems to me how Corey Hetherman runs his defense.
To your point, this year we are 43 in pass yards allowed but we are 17 i passing efficiency defense which is a much better metric for how good you defend the pass.

If a team needs to throw the ball 50 times to get 300 yards, you’re doing a good job.
 
Back
Top