Alumni Game

Advertisement
Advertisement
13-0 was the final score

-The offense was pretty well spread throughout the starters. I’d say Yoyo was the most consistently good across his at bats.
-Palm’s line posted above speaks for itself. He did labor a bit more the second time through against the better alumni hitters.
-Baserunning was reminiscent of last year at times for the first team offense. We had four or five runners thrown out on the bases in the first few innings.
-Relievers were Walters, Torres, Arguelles, and Schlesinger. Typically this is a preview of the backend of the bullpen to start the season. I was most impressed with Schlesinger and Walters. Schlesinger faced CDC and Romy in his inning. I’d expect Walters to get the first crack at closing.
-Alumni defense was bad finishing with six errors. Dorian Gonzalez had the only error for the current Canes on pop up to shallow right.
-Wallen and Dorian played the entire game.

Always hard to get a read on what the alumni game means, but there have been years where it’s raised red flags that carry into the regular season. The only one for me was the base running because of the consistent issues last season.

Last edited:
Advertisement
We're screwed if Yoyo can't play 3B
I think he’s fine to play 3B, but we have options if not.

Burke, for instance, played it fine in the past.

I like this team. I don’t think it’s national title good, but it’s a really good squad. One that should make a tournament and push for Supers.

In the past, Miami could roll out of bed and pencil themselves into a Super, but those days have changed in college baseball. Excited for this season and looking forward to seeing the pitching, which could be top-10 good.

Advertisement
I think he’s fine to play 3B, but we have options if not.

Burke, for instance, played it fine in the past.

I like this team. I don’t think it’s national title good, but it’s a really good squad. One that should make a tournament and push for Supers.

In the past, Miami could roll out of bed and pencil themselves into a Super, but those days have changed in college baseball. Excited for this season and looking forward to seeing the pitching, which could be top-10 good.
What are your thoughts on NIL money and how it could help level the playing field in college baseball?

Despite the improvements in recent years w financial aid and how it is counted towards scholarships, the 11.7 scholarships for baseball is still a joke. It's virtually unchanged from the 70's!

What are your thoughts on NIL money and how it could help level the playing field in college baseball?

Despite the improvements in recent years w financial aid and how it is counted towards scholarships, the 11.7 scholarships for baseball is still a joke. It's virtually unchanged from the 70's!
I think anything that can be done to help players mitigate the cost of attendance to Miami is helpful. Private schools are without a doubt at a huge disadvantage compared to large public institutions. Both in price of tuition and in alumni base to draw funds/NIL deals from their businesses.

Setting up the aid fund that they recently did to try and mirror Vanderbilt was a great first step. Actually paying the good players through NIL deals is the next level. It can mean the difference between signing professional or coming to school.

I’m probably in the minority, but I like the scholarship restrictions because it makes baseball unique and full of strategy on roster composition. Coastal Carolina or Fresno State could play football for a thousand years and never win a championship, but the fact they can do so in baseball makes it possibly my favorite sport.

So excited for the start of another season.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back