Alonzo HighSmith Joining Staff [Old thread, Rad says “not imminent”]

While everybody was freaking out here during the "long wait" myself and a handful were calm cool and collected knowing the man has a plan and the resources to implement it. He just needed time.
Facts I kind of panicked when we lost TRob but trusted the hiring process. Didn't think we would poach big programs. Every hire has been a recruiter and the OC and DC x and O guys. Mario knows how to build an elite cfb program that's how u do it. And the HC has to be the best car salesman and he is top 5 in the country with the funds to back it up.

Advertisement
I thought I would never see a time where UM was taking cfb serious. I thought this program would never rise in today's age. Thank the good lord I can't tell the future. I'm still shocked we about that life again.
It will be our time again soon enough. I have never been more excited for an upcoming season, and more distraught that we have to wait until August / September for football.

It's really exciting watching all of the pieces come together and I can't wait to see it translate onto the field.

giphy.gif

My old *** been hoping I’d see the Canes be great again one more time before the good Lord calls me home…For the last 18 years I highly doubted this would ever happen but if the Lord above can just hold off in making that call for 3-4 years I just might see it happen before I go….We sure look to finally be headed in the right direction anyways…

Advertisement
All this is nothing short of a miracle. So far the program has backed up everything they said they would do since Kirk Herbstreit saved the program. Most of us were skeptical. But obviously the financial support is there. They put their money where their mouths is. As in most things in life you get what you pay for. We were shopping at Dollar Tree , so of course we’d get Dollar Tree results. We got a REAL staff now. I think it was Coach Macho that said that if this doesn’t work they might as well fold the program. But I for one believe it will work.

Facts I kind of panicked when we lost TRob but trusted the hiring process. Didn't think we would poach big programs. Every hire has been a recruiter and the OC and DC x and O guys. Mario knows how to build an elite cfb program that's how u do it. And the HC has to be the best car salesman and he is top 5 in the country with the funds to back it up.
Have said this before. Mario would probably become a multi millionaire selling freezers to Eskimos.

Advertisement
I don’t know anyone in the athletic department though, hence my inquiry on this board.

So does Alonzo have autonomous hire/fire decision making?
LOL, how can anybody answer THAT question when his actual role has yet to be announced. You can be certain that he will have hire / fire decisions regarding HIS staff that assists him. There is no way that Mario Cristobal reports to Alonzo if that is what you're getting at.

It actually isn't all the same thing. As in not even close.

HC Mario has put together, by most accounts, a very strong staff.

Adding AH in the reported role makes for an interesting power dynamic between Rhad the Impaler, HC Super Mario, and Zo. This isn't aEO analyst, position coach, or coordinator.

THEORETICALLY, it's a position whereby HC Super Mario would be reporting to.

So, who are the direct reports between Rhad, Super Mario, and Zo?

I want to believe doubtful, but is this being setup like another wasted opportunity of "Chief of Staff" Ed Reed?

They do this right, I get a feeling Miami is back bïtches.

Do it wrong, we are in for a disaapointment.
First ... what is the REPORTED ROLE that Zo will have ... not 'speculated" but actually reported based on an announcement from UM. Right ... there is none yet. There are a host of activities that are being developed as part of the restructured role that the Athletic Department will have ... according to comments that has been made. The GM of football operations is a SUPPORT ROLE and I believe the GM of Football Operations will be reporting to both the HC and the AD. He will be assisting the HC in areas of recruiting, talent evaluation, NIL program structuring ... monitoring, and he will be assisting the AD in managing several of the new initiatives that the department is in the process of establishing for FORMER players.

Advertisement
Zo was needed way more during the Manny years, but still a great addition.

I think one specific area in which he can help is convincing kids not to leave early (the ones that shouldn’t declare). This is a guy with decades of nfl scouting experience, who bleeds orange and green. Tough to not trust his opinion.

Sooooo many dopey porsters who were pontificating on org charts and lines of direct reporting and whatnot...
It was more about Zo being an AD that I think people had issues with. Or used in a role that doesn’t suit him best.

This move makes total sense as a player personnel type role. Put him in charge of building out scouting department that will own transfer portal and support with recruiting. That’s his bread and butter. He’s built and led several scouting departments now and having him build that here would be highly beneficial.

Advertisement
First ... what is the REPORTED ROLE that Zo will have ... not 'speculated" but actually reported based on an announcement from UM. Right ... there is none yet. There are a host of activities that are being developed as part of the restructured role that the Athletic Department will have ... according to comments that has been made. The GM of football operations is a SUPPORT ROLE and I believe the GM of Football Operations will be reporting to both the HC and the AD. He will be assisting the HC in areas of recruiting, talent evaluation, NIL program structuring ... monitoring, and he will be assisting the AD in managing several of the new initiatives that the department is in the process of establishing for FORMER players.
Whatever he can do that helps take pressure of Mario so he can concentrate on Coaching will be appreciated....

Ferman has been on "Mario to Miami" since there was even the prospect of smoke. He holds Mario in very high regard.
As much ridicule he gets, some of it deservedly so, he's been around the program a while so is connected to some of the old heads. They probably give him some nuggets every once and a while.

Advertisement
Back