Confirmed Alonzo Highsmith (joining Miami staff, 5.25 update)

Advertisement
d
Ok...so are you saying donors would hate Gino as AD?I

I'm saying that Gino has never had to deal with it on that level. Does Gino(Or Zo) have the patience and tact needed to put up with these wealthy people and their nonsense? Take it from someone who deals with hyper affluent people as part of their career, a unique skillset is required to manage those egos and get them pointed in the right direction.

Go look at his resume, and tell us why he isnt qualified, for football head:

Front office[edit]​

In 2012, he accepted a Senior Personnel Executive position in the front office of the Green Bay Packers.

On January 2, 2018, it was reported that he would be joining the Cleveland Browns as their vice president of football operations. On January 10, it was confirmed that Highsmith would join the Browns, just as the Vice President of Player Personnel.

After consulting for the Seattle Seahawks in the 2020 offseason, he accepted a full-time position as a personnel executive with the team on June 12, 2020.
Again, a NFL personnel guy and a collegiate AD are TWO DIFFERENT POSITIONS. In fact, outside of both having something to do with football, they might as well be two different industries. In the NFL, personnel guys aren't signing off on marketing, they aren't signing off on ticket sales. They don't have to deal with multiple hires, in multiple disciplines. A fair number of them don't even get to hire the HC, the owner has final say in a lot of cases. Compare that to what an AD does.

Once you realize that most ADs worth a **** won't hire a football czar, because they don't want any separation between themselves and their revenue center, it makes sense why Zo wouldn't be hired. If you can't hire a guy as an AD, and the football czar position doesn't exist at most places(Unless they are dysfunctional), you see why it's a nonstarter. Miami needs to hire an experienced, talented AD that can navigate the unique challenges in the department and build a winning culture based on making rational hires and maximizing the revenue that does come in. Stop overcomplicating this stuff and for the love of God, understanding that there is a big world outside of the 80s and 90s letterwinners. We need to fumigate the department and honestly, I want someone who has been around other programs, has worked in them and will bring a fresh perspective.

Advertisement
d

I'm saying that Gino has never had to deal with it on that level. Does Gino(Or Zo) have the patience and tact needed to put up with these wealthy people and their nonsense? Take it from someone who deals with hyper affluent people as part of their career, a unique skillset is required to manage those egos and get them pointed in the right direction.
Gino is from the world of financial advisement and wealth management. That probably involved dealing with the hyper affluent, managing egos, and pointing them in the right direction. His company is based in Palm Beach which is in top 10 of the wealthiest towns in Florida.

If Zo wasn't a former letter winner, none of you would be humping his leg. This is why I can't with our fanbase. He's a "Miami Guy Bro" hire, and let's be honest, he has a lot of the same organizational blind spots a lot of our fans have, hence why he's so popular. The 80s are over, Zo has always been part of the "Miami should be a jock school" contingent and that's not happening. Get a AD that understands and embraces what Miami can and maxes it out. This isn't USC, where you can hire ex jocks with no collegiate managerial experience and things will still run somewhat.
I generally agree with the "Miami guy bro" premise and why its stupid but in this case I think you are ignoring what Zo did professionally. He has a resume that applies to the job.

Interestingly, of the last 20 ADs to win a championship in football… something like 16 of em played at least college football*

*Dont remember the exact number, but Navarro researched it and found that almost all played football.

“Check”

Advertisement
I just want an AD that won’t accept mediocrity and allow situations like Coach L and Manny to happen.

I've listened to him, and he talks a good game. That said, he has no collegiate managerial experience. None. He hasn't been on college campuses full time since he left the University, over 30 years ago. The NFL is a different beast compared to collegiate athletics. I'm not entrusting a multi-million dollar business on the brink to someone that has no experience dealing with these unique challenges. Again, a school like USC or Alabama can make these kind of hires, because they they have the infrastructure and support needed to succeed despite their leadership. Miami can't afford to make those kind of hires. Hire someone with a good success probability and go from there. Zo isn't that hire. If Zo wants to team with the incoming AD and that AD wants to groom Zo to be the next man up, I'm in favor. Jurich would be perfect, because he is 5 years away from retirement.
What are the unique challenges you see?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back