"Almost" Plays by Perry

The confidence and attitude of Perry on the field alone should tell us all we need. Rosier seems so lazy by comparison.
Same with the throws. Perry's were darts and nice lobs when they needed to be, Rosier's always felt... slow and lazy.

Advertisement
1. The screen to Deejay in the 3rd. Perfectly set up and executed. It went for a nice gain, but with any of our other backs it's a house call (not knocking Deejay). Can't remember the last time we executed a decent screen.

2. The Wheel route to Davis. Though incomplete, it will be there for the taking all season.

3. The incomplete pass to Brevin in the end zone. Upon further review, I think Brevin should've caught it. Point is, Perry scrambles to buy time and extend the play. His receivers know this and don't give up on the play.

4. The fade to Njoku. Great placement. Njoku just gotta hold onto it.

We're in the beginning of the Perry era, and let's not fool ourselves -- the boy has a ton of things to work on, but these are some of the plays that give you a glimpse into what he brings to the table and to this offense. Everything is now on the table.

Uhhhhhhhh, no

He also left a lot of open receivers like jilted brides at the alter. Two third downs he threw to covered receivers short of the marker when guys were uncovered 10 yards deeper on the same side of the field.

which is no different than what malik has been doing his entire career. i'll take the kid who makes that mistake but can also hit over half of his attempts.

Does the way he finished worry any of you guys? Obviously we knew he had talent and he flashed it sat. But it was FIU. Personally i hope we can run the ball the way we have the 2 weeks in conference play

1. The screen to Deejay in the 3rd. Perfectly set up and executed. It went for a nice gain, but with any of our other backs it's a house call (not knocking Deejay). Can't remember the last time we executed a decent screen.

2. The Wheel route to Davis. Though incomplete, it will be there for the taking all season.

3. The incomplete pass to Brevin in the end zone. Upon further review, I think Brevin should've caught it. Point is, Perry scrambles to buy time and extend the play. His receivers know this and don't give up on the play.

4. The fade to Njoku. Great placement. Njoku just gotta hold onto it.

We're in the beginning of the Perry era, and let's not fool ourselves -- the boy has a ton of things to work on, but these are some of the plays that give you a glimpse into what he brings to the table and to this offense. Everything is now on the table.

Was an absolute DART!

Advertisement
Anyone else notice on a few of the screens - our TE and WR are so conditioned or used to the ball being behind them that they contort that way. Perry was leading them and it was as if they weren't expecting it.

Simple throws like that make all the difference. Get it to the play makes in stride and let them do the rest. I will take the dink and dunk all day with our skill players. It is only a matter of time before they make one person miss and are off to the races.

That screen to Deejay was odd. Deejay ran up to the defender and just let himself be tackled before the sticks. Seemed like an easy first down and he just kind of gave up. Was really perplexed as that is not in Deejay’s nature to not finish runs.
You noticed it, too, right ?

This bothered me more than anything else I saw Saturday besides the punting.

Advertisement
He also left a lot of open receivers like jilted brides at the alter. Two third downs he threw to covered receivers short of the marker when guys were uncovered 10 yards deeper on the same side of the field.

Let's not pretend like he has Alabama's OL in front of him like bought and paid for 5 star Tua.

He will be better than Rosier because he is more gifted with his arm and legs...but he won't have many opportunities to drop back and go through his progressions looking off 3 guys.

I get your point though, there were quite a few times looking one guy off
would have been enough. First decent live action tho...hard not to stare down your primary.

which is no different than what malik has been doing his entire career. i'll take the kid who makes that mistake but can also hit over half of his attempts.
I agree 100%. I am just saying we shouldn't be sucking each others ****s yet.

Advertisement
Anyone else notice on a few of the screens - our TE and WR are so conditioned or used to the ball being behind them that they contort that way. Perry was leading them and it was as if they weren't expecting it.

Simple throws like that make all the difference. Get it to the play makes in stride and let them do the rest. I will take the dink and dunk all day with our skill players. It is only a matter of time before they make one person miss and are off to the races.
I DEFINITELY noticed that lol

On those bubble screens Perry throws ahead of the WR's leading them into the route & he throws with velocity. Usually they're used to having to reach down for the ball on the Bubble, but Perry throws it up high & you could tell with both Brevin & Harley they were like "oh sh*t" lol

Its never too soon to start criticizing players, and it’s important to be hopeful about the missed opportunities until the “wins” turn into “losses.”

As fans, we need to take inventory of mistakes. It keeps us sharp for witch hunt season.

One time, in 1997, Butch Davis called a timeout before a kickoff. Relevant? No. But we remember.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back