"Almost" Plays by Perry

1. The screen to Deejay in the 3rd. Perfectly set up and executed. It went for a nice gain, but with any of our other backs it's a house call (not knocking Deejay). Can't remember the last time we executed a decent screen.

2. The Wheel route to Davis. Though incomplete, it will be there for the taking all season.

3. The incomplete pass to Brevin in the end zone. Upon further review, I think Brevin should've caught it. Point is, Perry scrambles to buy time and extend the play. His receivers know this and don't give up on the play.

4. The fade to Njoku. Great placement. Njoku just gotta hold onto it.

We're in the beginning of the Perry era, and let's not fool ourselves -- the boy has a ton of things to work on, but these are some of the plays that give you a glimpse into what he brings to the table and to this offense. Everything is now on the table.

Advertisement
1. The screen to Deejay in the 3rd. Perfectly set up and executed. It went for a nice gain, but with any of our other backs it's a house call (not knocking Deejay). Can't remember the last time we executed a decent screen.

2. The Wheel route to Davis. Though incomplete, it will be there for the taking all season.

3. The incomplete pass to Brevin in the end zone. Upon further review, I think Brevin should've caught it. Point is, Perry scrambles to buy time and extend the play. His receivers know this and don't give up on the play.

We're in the beginning of the Perry era, and let's not fool ourselves -- the boy has a ton of things to work on, but these are some of the plays that give you a glimpse into what he brings to the table and to this offense. Everything is now on the table.
Yeah he should have at least 2 more tds, put the ball in play where his receivers could get it on those throws

That would have been an incredible play by Brevin in the endzone. Caught or not its still a play where Perry gave it a chance where Malik tucks it and probably never extends the play to that point and he definitely wasn't making that throw. Perry put it where only Brevin was making the play and not the 2 defenders around him. Very tough throw on the run but he tried to make something happen and made sure he wasn't making a mistake at the same time.

Advertisement

Although Ware said it was overthrown, that ball went right through Jordan's hands. Perry put it in a place where only Jordan could catch it.
In no way was this on #5

He also left a lot of open receivers like jilted brides at the alter. Two third downs he threw to covered receivers short of the marker when guys were uncovered 10 yards deeper on the same side of the field.

Advertisement
As he plays more, the games will start slowing down for him and his placement and selection will improve. For the next couple of games he will have plays that get left on the field, but as time moves forward he will get better.

This is why perry’s Upside is so high, look how much comfortable he looked after receiving only in game action vs Savannah state before the fiu game. The growth from his 1st and 2nd was immense

This is why you give talented people game reps.

Advertisement

.....what he said.

I saw energetic WR’s with Perry in the game. Just knowing you could be hit in stride make you run faster. With Malik, these guys know some adjustments will have to be made which is tough at full speed.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I saw a energetic WR’s with Perry in the game. Just knowing you could be hit in stride make you run faster. With Malik, these guys know some adjustments will have to be made which is tough at full speed.
Just imagine when Richards and Thomas are on the field together

I know in practice, they've really been working on Perry taking the easy, short passes instead of trying to force everything down the field. There was one play where he had an easy first down on an out route against man coverage but he dumped it off short and didn't convert. That said, I'll take the safe play for now until he gets a little more comfortable. We've got enough talent to turn 3 yard dump offs into 20 yard gains, so keep it safe and don't risk the turnovers.

Most offenses wish they could make big plays m. If we are able to consistently make the easy plays we should be fine because its always there. Then we can do deep. Imo its has never been about scheme. We get players open, plays are there to be made, routine plays. Will we make them more often than not

the one where he ran for a 1st down up the middle on a 3rd down. it was the safe play, where he was guaranteed to get the 1st. ended up running for about 20 yards I think. BUT he had Homer in the flat WIDE open who might have gone all the way. I'm sure that's something they talked about in film.

positive play either way. the future is bright.

Advertisement
Back