All about the Syracuse Tampa 2 Defense

Handsome Squidbum

The Strongest Steel is Forged in Dumpster Fires
Premium
How does Syracuse football run its Tampa-2 defense and when might it improve? | syracuse.com

(sorry I didn't post the actual article, pain in *** to copy /paste on my cell phone)

From last year, but they still run the same D if I'm not mistaken.

Key Points :
- Actual Tampa 2 "coverage" used sparingly
- Use Cover 1, Cover 2, Cover 3 and Cover 4 concepts, along with various man coverage schemes
- dbs give soft cushion to mask coverage, to force qb to make reads
- tendency to use man coverage in third down situations
- when lbs are in man, will have help over top and inside

My observations:
If in Tampa 2 coverage, they are vulnerable against the run up the middle. Homer should have a good day. Donaldson might not be great yet in pass protection, but he should bulldoze the smallish DTs
Depending on cushion, bubble screen should be open all day
Would like if Richt stole a couple plays from Dolphins play book - the fake end around with the wr turning back would be dynamite. Perfect for Thomas or a good way to get Dallas open in space
I wish we had a real jumbo package with 3 TEs, but we don't have the personnel yet. I suppose we could use Herndon, Irvin, and use Gaynor as third blocking TE, but Irvin seems to be a poor blocker. The undersized Cuse defense would be completely helpless and driven backyards into Hialeah if we rolled out a legit jumbo package.

Last edited:
Advertisement
OP is a SU shill....

What the **** are you talking about? Linking to a good article about the weakness of the Syracuse D makes me a shill? Maybe some board members might want to know a little bit about the types of coverages and tendencies we are going to see this Saturday since not all Tampa 2 defenses are the same. GTFOH with your nonsense. Put your milk bottle down and go play outside (preferably in traffic) while the grown ups talk football.

Last edited:
How does Syracuse football run its Tampa-2 defense and when might it improve? | syracuse.com

(sorry I didn't post the actual article, pain in *** to copy /paste on my cell phone)

Key Points :
- Use Cover 1, Cover 2, Cover 3 and Cover 4 concepts, along with various man coverage schemes

My observations:
If in Tampa 2 coverage, they are vulnerable against the run up the middle. Homer should have a good day. Donaldson might not be great yet in pass protection, but he should bulldoze the smallish DTs
Would like if Richt stole a couple plays from Dolphins play book - the fake end around with the wr turning back would be dynamite. Perfect for Thomas or a good way to get Dallas open in space
I wish we had a real jumbo package with 3 TEs, but we don't have the personnel yet. I suppose we could use Herndon, Irvin, and use Gaynor as third blocking TE, but Irvin seems to be a poor blocker. The undersized Cuse defense would be completely helpless and driven backyards into Hialeah if we rolled out a legit jumbo package.

Is Donaldson playing?

Key Points :

My observations:

Is Donaldson playing?

He was listed as probable in yesterday's injury report. So unless something changes I think he will be a starter on Sat

Advertisement
Advertisement
The one part that's concerning to me is Syracuse giving a cushion on our receivers where Rosier's forced to make reads.

If they play off our receivers, this is where I want to get it to our guys on screens so they are forced to player closer.

The one part that's concerning to me is Syracuse giving a cushion on our receivers where Rosier's forced to make reads.

If they play off our receivers, this is where I want to get it to our guys on screens so they are forced to player closer.

Solid point, but hopefully Malik learned from the game winning drive last week to keep tossing those bubbles again and again until the D takes it away. Even if they try to take it away our WR's block so darn good we'd still get yardage.

What’s up with your avatar having that flag?

It's the confederate flag with ****s on it. What's the issue?
I thought it was a real confederate flag. I was about to say take that **** elsewhere

Even if it were, he has every right to display it as you do to object. Thats the beauty of this country.

Go canes.

Aaaah displaying symbols of treason. The beauty.

If they're gonna play off then throw hitch until they're blue in the face.

I've watched several Syracuse games cause I've got a kid there and it baffles me at times with how willing they are to give up 7+ completions to the outside.

Advertisement
What’s up with your avatar having that flag?

It's the confederate flag with ****s on it. What's the issue?
I thought it was a real confederate flag. I was about to say take that **** elsewhere

Even if it were, he has every right to display it as you do to object. Thats the beauty of this country.

Go canes.

Aaaah displaying symbols of treason. The beauty.

That IS the beauty of a free society. It is why flag burning is protected and it why kneeling for the anthem is protected.

as i've saying, run that defense and play soft coverage and run that hitch 19 times in a row for 8 yards a clip.

Advertisement
If they're gonna play off then throw hitch until they're blue in the face.

I've watched several Syracuse games cause I've got a kid there and it baffles me at times with how willing they are to give up 7+ completions to the outside.

yep that swing pass RPO needs to be alive and well early, have been saving it till last drive last 2 games..

Sounds like they really trust their DL, that crew better come to play or it will be a long day for them

I hope if they do decide to take away the bubble screen they fake it and hit them deep. I think Langham is going to start becoming a bigger part of the offense. I'm surprised they don't try to line him up as a TE, just to see if they can get a LB on him.

OP thanks for finding that article. So, if they play off, we should have a good day of quick throws, runs against equal or outnumbered boxes, and then the fun of throwing deep if the begin to creep up to stop that. I still feel good about this game and the team's course over two years. I think people forget that CMR and CMD have figured things out since the last 5 games of last year. While I do not expect us to win the NC this year, I have hope that I will see number six and seven within the next five years................GO CANES!

OP is a SU shill....

What the **** are you talking about? Linking to a good article about the weakness of the Syracuse D makes me a shill? Maybe some board members might want to know a little bit about the types of coverages and tendencies we are going to see this Saturday since not all Tampa 2 defenses are the same. GTFOH with your nonsense. Put your milk bottle down and go play outside (preferably in traffic) while the grown ups talk football.

You really don't need to address this, thanks for sharing the article.

Advertisement
Back