Alfred Golden: Man with 300-page plan for The []_[]

Cane2

Band
Banned
New Hurricane coach tells of vision.

He's a man with a 300-page plan in a state full of new plans. A plan that placed him above the other Head Coach applicants.

Coral Gables - January 13, 2011 | Al Golden's vision for Miami sits in a desk drawer. It's been a few, frenetic weeks for the new football coach. He's sleeping at a hotel. His dress suits are in a football locker. His dinner diet is M&M's and Pringles.

Golden just hired an offensive coordinator Thursday, is organizing recruiting plans for the weekend and works from an office with a still-moving-in look to it. Folders are piled. Clothes hang from the door, including an orange-and-green dress tie someone gave to color-coordinate him.

There's a motivational book on the floor from a former Temple player called, "The Presentation Secrets of Steve Jobs." Stacks of other papers are beside it with titles like, " Partnerships Influence Performance."

Golden, you see, believes in the power of the written word.

"Once you write something down you're more committed to it,'' he said. "You can refine it from there. I write everything down I believe in and want to do."

Oh, he speaks directly and strongly. Like when he says something like, "We're going to get back to developing young quarterbacks here that want to go to the NFL."

Or when answering what will be different about these same Miami players next year: "Finishing. The way we will run to the football on defense and finish plays. The way we'll finish plays on special teams, finish runs on offense, finish blocks, finish games. Finishing. That a glaring issue to me."

What Golden is saying there, essentially, is Miami players were lazy last year. Or sloppy. That isn't him. Here's a story: While a Boston College assistant, Golden got word a recruit was deciding the next day.

When the dinner ended at 9 p.m., he drove four hours to the recruit's New Jersey home, left a note on his porch and immediately drove back to Boston. Did the kid sign?

"Of course he did,'' he said. "I didn't do all that to lose him."

There that idea in that story again: The written word. And Golden's believe in it in something like a porch note. He reaches into a draw of his desk now and there it is in a bigger way. There's his vision of Miami.

It's the 300-page, spiral-bound book he took to his interview with Miami athletic director Kirby Hocutt. The book is printed in Miami's colors, says, "Deserve Victory" on the cover and, under that, "The Pillars of Performance" with a picture of the Greek Parthenon. On the pillar are words like "discipline" and "work."

"Inside here is what I've developed over 14 years of coaching,'' he said. "The mission statements for coaching, the five rules for student-athletes – and I only have five."

What are they?

[It's a secret; to be unfolded after the 1st 4 years]

"That's for them,'' he said.

He did, however, show the page of the four-step progression players are expected to make from freshmen to seniors: from being directed, to being coached, to having a partnership to having empowerment.

None of that, you would agree, shakes the ground. But it is revealing to how Golden works that it's a written part of his master plan. And what's in here isn't just for show, mind you.

In talking with him about motivational speakers, I mentioned a flight from Dallas to Chicago sitting next to Zig Ziglar, a motivational guru.

"Look at this," he said, flipping right to page 286 in his book. There was a section quoting Ziglar.

Will any of this help on fourth-and-2 against Virginia Tech? That remains to be seen. But it's help get Golden get to this point.

He was a Penn State tight end who describes his one-year NFL career under Bill Parcells in New England thusly: "The worst player on the worst team in the league."

He laughs. "I don't take that too seriously."

But ask him why Miami hired the Temple coach and that emotion changes: "Because the Temple coach did something great. Took over the worst program and won over nine games in four years. Went to the school's third bowl game in 70 years. Inherited 54 scholarship players and got back to Division I levels. And did it basically without any facilities." davehydesports

Advertisement
Butch Davis could cover more ground on a napkin torn in fourths than Golden can demonstrate with 300 pages.

I'd imagine when Butch gets here, that binder will be used for toilet paper.

Butch Davis could cover more ground on a napkin torn in fourths than Golden can demonstrate with 300 pages.

I'd imagine when Butch gets here, that binder will be used for toilet paper.

I also would use that book as toilet paper but as it is, I have way too much respect for my fecal excrement.

New Hurricane coach tells of vision.

He's a man with a 300-page plan in a state full of new plans. A plan that placed him above the other Head Coach applicants.

Coral Gables - January 13, 2011 | Al Golden's vision for Miami sits in a desk drawer. It's been a few, frenetic weeks for the new football coach. He's sleeping at a hotel. His dress suits are in a football locker. His dinner diet is M&M's and Pringles.

Golden just hired an offensive coordinator Thursday, is organizing recruiting plans for the weekend and works from an office with a still-moving-in look to it. Folders are piled. Clothes hang from the door, including an orange-and-green dress tie someone gave to color-coordinate him.

There's a motivational book on the floor from a former Temple player called, "The Presentation Secrets of Steve Jobs." Stacks of other papers are beside it with titles like, " Partnerships Influence Performance."

Golden, you see, believes in the power of the written word.

"Once you write something down you're more committed to it,'' he said. "You can refine it from there. I write everything down I believe in and want to do."

Oh, he speaks directly and strongly. Like when he says something like, "We're going to get back to developing young quarterbacks here that want to go to the NFL."

Or when answering what will be different about these same Miami players next year: "Finishing. The way we will run to the football on defense and finish plays. The way we'll finish plays on special teams, finish runs on offense, finish blocks, finish games. Finishing. That a glaring issue to me."

What Golden is saying there, essentially, is Miami players were lazy last year. Or sloppy. That isn't him. Here's a story: While a Boston College assistant, Golden got word a recruit was deciding the next day.

When the dinner ended at 9 p.m., he drove four hours to the recruit's New Jersey home, left a note on his porch and immediately drove back to Boston. Did the kid sign?

"Of course he did,'' he said. "I didn't do all that to lose him."

There that idea in that story again: The written word. And Golden's believe in it in something like a porch note. He reaches into a draw of his desk now and there it is in a bigger way. There's his vision of Miami.

It's the 300-page, spiral-bound book he took to his interview with Miami athletic director Kirby Hocutt. The book is printed in Miami's colors, says, "Deserve Victory" on the cover and, under that, "The Pillars of Performance" with a picture of the Greek Parthenon. On the pillar are words like "discipline" and "work."

"Inside here is what I've developed over 14 years of coaching,'' he said. "The mission statements for coaching, the five rules for student-athletes – and I only have five."

What are they?

[It's a secret; to be unfolded after the 1st 4 years]

"That's for them,'' he said.

He did, however, show the page of the four-step progression players are expected to make from freshmen to seniors: from being directed, to being coached, to having a partnership to having empowerment.

None of that, you would agree, shakes the ground. But it is revealing to how Golden works that it's a written part of his master plan. And what's in here isn't just for show, mind you.

In talking with him about motivational speakers, I mentioned a flight from Dallas to Chicago sitting next to Zig Ziglar, a motivational guru.

"Look at this," he said, flipping right to page 286 in his book. There was a section quoting Ziglar.

Will any of this help on fourth-and-2 against Virginia Tech? That remains to be seen. But it's help get Golden get to this point.

He was a Penn State tight end who describes his one-year NFL career under Bill Parcells in New England thusly: "The worst player on the worst team in the league."

He laughs. "I don't take that too seriously."

But ask him why Miami hired the Temple coach and that emotion changes: "Because the Temple coach did something great. Took over the worst program and won over nine games in four years. Went to the school's third bowl game in 70 years. Inherited 54 scholarship players and got back to Division I levels. And did it basically without any facilities." davehydesports

As stated in the other thread ... The facilities issue, along with how much he really wanted the job, is why Golden was hired.

Advertisement
The exact reason(s) why Grolden was hired is debatable, and obviously WRONG. In hindsight, the complete total 100% incompetence of the Board Of Garbage is responsible for the fiasco. Please note that I, mercifully and civilly, did not personally blame the members of the Board Of Garbage, but their complete total 100% incompetence.

LOL at this dip**** treating his self help book like classified documents. You're a flabby, female breasted, sub-par football coach, not James Bond.

Advertisement
"When pressed about the details of the binder that Golden credits with forming the man he is today, the coach is evasive. "Dave, if you want to know my 12 favorite wing sauces, you need to be a member of this team. A member of the Wefence, like Chad Thomas out there." He motions towards the window overlooking the practice fields. The green expanse where Golden forges his champions. Out there under a blistering summer sun, Chad Thomas playfully bats at a ball of yarn Coach Donofrio throws at him. Jelani Hamilton chases a laser pointer being shined down from a scissor lift by DL coach Randy Melvin. On a field behind them, Brad Kaaya and Braxton Berrios engage in a thumb war.

The glance only lasts a few seconds and again I'm being stared down by Golden's intense eyes. "Do you want to know what it is? The secret? The secret to it all?" He leans forward and this time his voice is barely above a whisper. "What this book is all about?" I lean in towards him, ready to receive the idea that turns men into champions. "Habañero BBQ."

Page 2 through 300:

This page intentionally left blank.

------------

It's all smoke and mirrors, folks.

Advertisement
Larry Coker and Randy Shannon were bad hires. Hires of convenience. Picking the low hanging fruit. Whatever you want to call it. Golden was actually a good hire. Due diligence was done and if anyone on tihis board says that they weren't initially impressed I question their truth. I really don't know why he hasn't worked out but I was all in initially. I hesitate to criticize his 300 page report. He really believed in it. It just didn't work.

I'm pretty sure there is no where in that book that describes how to utilize south florida talent. Howard and Jimmy wrote that book on south florida kids and Butch just reprinted. Golden took that book from the previous coaches and turned it into a coloring book

Advertisement

The three quotes above describe Golden perfectly. All fluff and no substance.

Larry Coker and Randy Shannon were bad hires. Hires of convenience. Picking the low hanging fruit. Whatever you want to call it. Golden was actually a good hire. Due diligence was done and if anyone on tihis board says that they weren't initially impressed I question their truth. I really don't know why he hasn't worked out but I was all in initially. I hesitate to criticize his 300 page report. He really believed in it. It just didn't work.
It didn't work because he never strayed from his binder. He took his binder to be gospel when he should have been flexible enough to edit it when needed. He never did that. And to be honest he's just not a good coach. He wasn't good as a DC at UVA, wasn't good at Temple and has been **** here. He's in the wrong profession.

The man damns himself. If it didn't work out, HE WAS A BAD HIRE. PERIOD!

You believed in his 300 page report? You were privy to read it? You didn't burn it? You share in the blame.

He really did believe that the 300-page report would get him the job. He was right. He knew that he was dealing with a bunch of academics that were impressed by 300-page reports.

The three quotes above describe Golden perfectly. All fluff and no substance.

100%

Maybe he should have had read some Vince Lombardi books about commitment to EXCELLENCE?

Advertisement
Back