Alex Gall Article

Big Sky Cane

6th Year Senior
Here is an Alex Gall article on cincinnati.com .

Ex-Moeller Star Alex Gall, Hurricanes set to Invate UC

Alex Gall may have one of the largest rooting sections ever for a visiting player at Nippert Stadium come Thursday night, when Gall and the Miami Hurricanes visit the Cincinnati Bearcats.

UC expects a Nippert record sellout of 40,000, and that will include at least 75 friends and family of former Moeller High School standout Gall. The 6-foot-5, 312-pound Gall is a Miami junior who starts at left guard.

"Coming home to play, I'm really excited," Gall said via telephone. "I played at Nippert a few times when I was at Moeller. It's a chance to play in front of a lot of family and friends that haven't seen me play a lot."

Gall and his family, who live in suburban Mason, have deep UC connections. His father Charlie and mother Kathy are UC grads, as are several other family members. Gall's sister, Madison, is a UC freshman. Younger brother Jacob is a starting guard on the Moeller football team.

"With a good portion of my family having gone to UC, it makes it tough to root against the Bearcats," Charlie Gall said. "I'll have to make an exception for this game and cheer on Alex and Miami. After Thursday's game, I can go back to being a Bearcats fan."

Alex Gall was a senior captain on Moeller's 2012 state title team. His offensive line coach was Doug Rosfeld, now director of player development at UC.

John Rodenberg, then and now the Moeller head coach, said Gall is among the three best offensive linemen he has had in 21 years as a head coach.

"Alex was as fierce on the field as anybody as I have coached," Rodenberg said. "You couple that with his athleticism and the way he could move, that really set him apart. I wouldn't be surprised to see Alex in the NFL someday."

UC was among many who offered a scholarship to Gall, the only Ohio product on the 2015 Hurricanes. How does a Midwestern boy wind up in fast-paced Miami?

"I wanted the chance to get away, and my parents were fine with it," Gall said.

Gall said he was intrigued by playing for Miami offensive line coach Art Kehoe, a Hurricanes institution with ties to the glory days. Miami has won five national titles, most recently in the 2001 season.

"My offensive line coach has been here over 30 years, coached a lot of great players," Gall said. "He knows just about everything there is to know about offensive line play. The chance to get to play for him was something that really drew me in."

Miami head coach Al Golden said that Gall, a first-year starter, has matured over the past few years.

"He's got leadership qualities, and he's starting to feel comfortable at the position," Golden said. "He's gotten so much better."

As for Gall returning to Cincinnati, Golden said:

"I think we've all been in that situation where we go back home. He's just got to relax, block it all out and just worry about what he has to do every play. He will. We'll help him through that."

KIEL RULED OUT: UC coach Tommy Tuberville said on his weekly radio show Tuesday night that injured junior quarterback Gunner Kiel (neck) will not play against Miami, having not yet been cleared by doctors to practice.

Tuberville announced Monday that redshirt freshman Hayden Moore will make his first college start this week, but the coach had left the door open for Kiel to possibly play. Tuberville since has ruled Kiel out, after Kiel did not practice Monday or Tuesday.

Moore threw for a UC record 557 yards in a 53-46 loss at Memphis last week. Regardless, Tuberville said that usual starter Kiel will not lose his position because of injury.

Redshirt freshman Luke Wright, a former walk-on, is expected be the backup quarterback to Moore.

STREAK ON LINE: UC has won 27 consecutive non-league games at Nippert Stadium, dating back to the 2003 season. The Bearcats (2-2) are 6-point underdogs to Miami (3-0).

-

Cincinnati vs. Miami, Fla.

Kickoff: Thursday, 7:30 p.m.

Where: Nippert Stadium

TV/Radio: ESPN/WLW-AM (700)

Records: UC 2-2, Miami 3-0

Advertisement
Gained a bit too much weight. Solid in run blocking, but has bad feet right now..maybe a bit to heavy.
Probably has his best game in front of family though. Hopes it turns his season around, because after Cincy he better put on his **** cuz fsu has some dts that will be trouble..the rest of our schedule he'll face nfl dts.

Advertisement
Gained a bit too much weight. Solid in run blocking, but has bad feet right now..maybe a bit to heavy.
Probably has his best game in front of family though. Hopes it turns his season around, because after Cincy he better put on his **** cuz fsu has some dts that will be trouble..the rest of our schedule he'll face nfl dts.

Like kid had a choice with Golden. Idiot is like an Italian grandma -- eat, eat , eat.

I always thought this kid was going to be a beast and have been sorely disappointed thus far.

Advertisement
Back