Albany transfer QB Reese Poffenbarger commits to Miami

View as article
Exactly. If you like this kid's film/moxy whatever. No problem with that. But stop comparing him to a guy who threw for 7,000 yards in a P5 conference and just declared early for the NFL draft. Not every FCS QB can make the jump.
If Cam Ward was actually Miami’s QB we wouldn’t just be looking at stat totals and we’d have been calling for him to be benched after the UCLA and Arizona games back to back.

Advertisement
Angry Ron Swanson GIF
Ron Swanson would appreciate this kid.

Exactly. If you like this kid's film/moxy whatever. No problem with that. But stop comparing him to a guy who threw for 7,000 yards in a P5 conference and just declared early for the NFL draft. Not every FCS QB can make the jump.
The staff compared him to a Heisman Trophy winner and 1st overall pick in the NFL Draft. Only at Miami the coaches are crazier than the fans LOL

Advertisement
Who in the world is qb1 here?. lol

This dude is likely better than Emory and will compete with Jacurri for qb 1 im guessing
He also needs to be appreciably better than Brown or it is going to be another long, painful year. Time well tell.

I think it's pretty well known that we are a serious QB player in this portal cycle, and openly linked to some of the highest profile options.. its an assumption, but an assumption that this kid has a brain and a circle of people helping to inform him on his options about playing college football.
Yeah I just read D$'s latest update and it seems like a reasonable assumption.

Louisville version of Jordan Travis vs Reese Poffenbarger, who would you have been happier with? QBs are a funny group, you never know how they will turn out.
I do know one thing though… no highly rated transfer QB with aspirations is sacrificing his final year of eligibility to help rebuild a program.

Advertisement
I thought we only wanted 1 yr rentals? Isn’t that why we weren’t interested in any of the the younger Qbs?

View attachment 277554

The Miami Hurricanes landed a commitment from Albany transfer quarterback Reese Poffenbarger on Monday afternoon. After a long and winding portal search for a QB, Mario Cristobal and staff are excited about what Poffenbarger brings to the table.

Originally from Middletown, Maryland, Poffenbarger began his career at Old Dominion in 2021 before redshirting and transferring to Albany. In his first season with the Great Danes, “Big Poff” won conference rookie of the year honors as well as FCS Rookie of the Year.

After Tyler Van Dyke entered the portal, Cristobal’s main priority has been grabbing a QB – albeit the search took much longer than the Canes staff anticipated or had hoped for, Poffenbarger comes to Coral Gables with big-time production and arm talent.

He has thrown for 60 TDs with 17 INTs over the last two seasons, along with 6,613 yards and a completion percentage of 59.9%.

View attachment 277553

Poffenbarger is listed at 6-feet, 208 pounds and helped lead Albany to an 11-4 record this season, including a conference title — it was the first in school history.

Poffenbarger now joins a Canes QB roster which includes Emory Williams and Jacurri Brown — and there is hope that the injured Williams could be ready for a return in the spring.
I have no idea whether this kid is good, bad or indifferent, but I kinda feel sorry for him because it seems so underwhelming. Maybe he can use that to work hard and surprise folks.

Who on here would like the time back they spent refreshing these transfer posts for the last 3 weeks. Just like the NCAA and their eligibility waivers, CIS can grant you that time back.

Gotta love how posters are comparing this acquisition as being parallel to Cam Ward coming from Incarnate Word, as if Cam didn't transfer to a lower tier P5 program at a time when the conference as a whole wasn't viewed favorably. He does very well, exceeding expectations and off the great season, became a highly sought after transfer portal qb. This Reese kid goes from an FCS program to a "major" P5 program and people think bc Ward had success coming from FCS then that means this Poffenbarger guy will as well.
the-reach-is-strong-in-this-one.jpg

Advertisement
I sincerely hope neither this kid or anyone in his family find this site and read the stuff being said about him.

His HS coach spoke to ON3 about Reese as a person, etc:

“Reese has always been an outstanding athlete,” “He was a really good basketball player, and in his sophomore and junior year he knew that he was a good athlete. But something clicked between his junior and senior year when it came to work ethic. He’s always been a hard worker but transformed, became a man in his mind in how he attacked his workouts. He became the most intelligent football player I’ve ever had the pleasure of coaching. He worked incredibly hard in the weight room and pushed his teammates to do the same. He’s a tremendous leader, knows how to get the best out of people. He will put every piece of energy in to win.”

“I think he’ll excel at Miami. People will say `Oh, he was an FCS star but the competition is a lot different.’ I’m telling you, there are few people that work like him and study the game like him. With the right coach and guys around him I don’t see any way he won’t succeed.”

The coach went on to say that In high school his idol was Baker Mayfield because no one gave Baker a chance. His recruiting process, he was going to prove everybody wrong.

"He has great accuracy, especially on the throws across the middle, incredible arm strength. What really sets him apart, though, is his ability to extend plays and be smart with the football. He takes care of the ball and a lot of quarterbacks get caught up thinking `I have to make this completion, make this happen.’ His mindset is execute the play to what it can be and after that everything you get is extra. He knows when you can take a sack, can’t take a sack, how to protect the ball, little things that are difficult to coach.”

There was one major program close to offering Poffenbarger out of high school – Penn State. But in the end the program went in a different direction. However, his Penn State recruiter, offensive coordinator/QB coach Ricky Rahne, took Poffenbarger with him to Old Dominion after taking the head coaching job there (out of high school it came down to ODU and Towson for the QB). The coach said that Poffenbarger grew 2 inches and put on 45 pounds from Junior year to the end of senior year. This is what caught the attention of Rahne..

So it's OK for Wash st to take Cam Ward from the FCS as a All American. Then Miami get him once he's lit up the Pac 12. But, it's wrong for Miami to get not just a All American, but the FCS leading passer that never throw a pick against 3 power 5 teams. And unlike Cam Ward begin his career at Old Dom.. a FBS G5. Wow

Advertisement
I haven’t read all 11 pages yet but has anyone mentioned there seems to be a disagreement between DMoney and Pete Thamel

“ESPN's Pete Thamel reports that this addition "ends Miami's quest to bring in a portal quarterback."
I'm going with Thamel here, sorry.

Advertisement
Back