Alabama's recruits

medearis

Recruit
I noticed a commit from yet another 4 star dlineman recently and the flip of a top-100 rb from Auburn. Can anyone explain to me how the SEC continues to get away (and I realize I'm just focusing on Bama now) with so much oversigning (and I realize some don't qualify but this is absurd) and gobbling up all the top prospects.

Bama since Saban arrived:

2007 (late arriving but still)-23 signees
2008-32
2009-27
2010-29
2011-22
2012 (thus far)-22

Can someone please explain how this is legal? Imagine if we could add some of these oversignings to our roster. At this point, SEC castoffs for us would probably mean Coastal title.

Advertisement
Its legal. Its morally wrong but legal. Saban just cuts the duds that arent really worth their 5 star ranking.

If only we wouldve done ith with the 2008 class.

They going oversign again this year I think they expect 7 more commits when NSD comes. Not sure if they can though with the sec putting a cap on this but who knows.

Its legal. Its morally wrong but legal. Saban just cuts the duds that arent really worth their 5 star ranking.

If only we wouldve done ith with the 2008 class.

I guess Saban knows pretty early who his duds are, then. Maybe Shannon and many coaches think a guy can take more time to develop.

In hindsight we could have cut:

Aldarious Johnson (though we wouldn't have known that early)
Davon Johnson
Thompkins
Ben Jones
Jeremy Lewis
Futch
Holton
Gavin Hardin and his retarded neck

we'd have better scholarship spacing in the ensuing years, etc.

Saban strikes out as much as any other coach in America. Difference is, he is allowed to play NFL GM with his rosters

Advertisement
They use the medical hardship waiver like no other school. The NCAA has seen it as will probably be putting a cap on that. But until they do....

in the last 2 years bama has had 6 medical hardships. The rest of the ncaa averages about 1 a year

of course homertide said it is because alabama has tougher practices than everyone else

bama also has just flat out not renewed 3 scholarships in the past 2 years

Advertisement
If nobody is going to do anything about it then I see nothing wrong with what they are doing. I only wish Golden would take advantage of the rules as well.

Don't hate the player, as they say.

in the last 2 years bama has had 6 medical hardships. The rest of the ncaa averages about 1 a year

of course homertide said it is because alabama has tougher practices than everyone else

bama also has just flat out not renewed 3 scholarships in the past 2 years

I think we've only had 2 in the past 4 years (Medical hardships). What he's doing is not against the rules for now but it's bad business.

I thought SEC just passed a new rule this year saying nobody can go over 25 in a year?

in a given year but the yearly number is irrelevant. People seem to get confused by this.

The number that matters is the 85. Going over that number is over signing...the past 2 years bama had 90+ kids on the roster the day after NSD.

I don't think this year will be much different, but bama will likely lose a ton of kids this year so it might be close.

Advertisement
**** 90+?

Thats not fair to the kids and to other programs. Some programs recruit a kid only to be sigend then cut by saban that same spring.

This is why he is a "cant miss recruiter".

If nobody is going to do anything about it then I see nothing wrong with what they are doing. I only wish Golden would take advantage of the rules as well.

Don't hate the player, as they say.

the rest of the college football world looks at these scholarships as moral contract between the student and school...it is not against the rules...saban just doesn't give a **** and is not shy about it. Not that anyone should expect less from a dude that walks over convulsing player

Bernie Machen wrote an OP-Ed in sports illustrated recently..I think it highlights the thinking of 99.9% of the schools (and also why the schools decided to pass the multi-year scholarship rule)

Unfortunately, there are universities that sanction [oversigning and grayshirting]... Technically, it's legal to do this. Morally, it is reprehensible.Associated with "grayshirting" -- and equally disgusting -- is the nefarious practice of prematurely ending student-athletes' scholarships. Some are just not renewed even though the student-athlete is doing what is asked of him.Some students are mysteriously given a "medical exemption" which ends their athletic careers -- and makes another scholarship available for the football coach to hand out...What needs to happen in intercollegiate athletics is that universities must accept the moral responsibility to stop and prevent "grayshirting" and its associated actions. The football programs must be accountable and should honor institutional commitments to students. It is, after all, a moral contract.

**** 90+?

Thats not fair to the kids and to other programs. Some programs recruit a kid only to be sigend then cut by saban that same spring.

This is why he is a "cant miss recruiter".

they were at 93 after the recent NSD. Not exactly sure about the one before but I know it was close

and yes...it completely loopholes the intent of the scholarship limits

Advertisement
here is the entire piece:

For most young people, the decision on where to attend college is one of life's most important events. It involves analysis and contemplation by the student and a contract of acceptance (and scholarship in the case of student-athletes) by the institution.Once this contract is agreed to there is a great joy and it represents the beginning of a new journey for the student. It is a life-changing event.

Imagine the feeling if the student finds out, literally a few months before enrolling, that the institution is backing out of the contract. It is too late in the summer to go back to one's second choice. The student is told he will have to wait until next year. Sorry, but no acceptance, no scholarship. That's it.

In Division I college football this practice is known as "grayshirting" and, unfortunately, there are universities that sanction this activity. The universities, with full knowledge of what they are doing, extend more athletic scholarships than they have. These schools play roulette with the lives of talented young people. If they run out of scholarships, too bad. The letter-of-intent signed by the university the previous February is voided. Technically, it's legal to do this. Morally, it is reprehensible.Associated with "grayshirting" -- and equally disgusting -- is the nefarious practice of prematurely ending student-athletes' scholarships. Some are just not renewed even though the student-athlete is doing what is asked of him.Some students are mysteriously given a "medical exemption" which ends their athletic careers -- and makes another scholarship available for the football coach to hand out.

There are, to be sure, some legitimate circumstances that result in scholarship non-renewal but regardless of the situation it is the student athlete who is impacted and the university that benefits.No university would allow this for the general student body. Imagine the uproar it would cause! What needs to happen in intercollegiate athletics is that universities must accept the moral responsibility to stop and prevent "grayshirting" and its associated actions. The football programs must be accountable and should honor institutional commitments to students. It is, after all, a moral contract

we need to be stealing FIU and FAU recruits at least for practicing purposes. Then cut them after a year or two so Cristobal doesn't actually get a chance to compete with us.

we need to be stealing FIU and FAU recruits at least for practicing purposes. Then cut them after a year or two so Cristobal doesn't actually get a chance to compete with us.

Don't be a dumbass, he isn't competing with us.

Advertisement
Back