Alabama recruits 2007-10 110 players

sfcane2

Redshirt Freshman
Premium
In his first 4 classes at Alabama Saban brought in 110 kids. That's 27-28 a year. Recruiting is so hit or miss that it helps when you have a lot more turns at bat.

I like the fact Golden is taking the same approach.

Advertisement
Wow, it really is an intelligent if not underhanded approach. I guess as long as kids understand their scholarship is year to year...have at it.

Alabama and Saban are using the Medical Hardship clause like no other school. A program usually has 1 every other year, on average. They are having 3 a year. This is an easy way to free up ships. That's how they can sign 110 kids and keep under the 85 cap. FYI - an Auburn fan pointed me to that little tidbit.

They sign a lot, but they have guys that just don't make it, either, and they have no problem "cutting" kids, regardless of how heralded they are if they don't cut it.

Advertisement
They sign a lot, but they have guys that just don't make it, either, and they have no problem "cutting" kids, regardless of how heralded they are if they don't cut it.

This. Moving forward, let's hope that Golden is close to Sabans evals and creates the same competitive culture. I'd give anything to have one of the top S&C programs as well.

One thing, too, is they move players around to find a spot for them. I noticed this when doing my research for the Alabama D-Line recruits thread on the football board. They recruit a lot of players that are versatile and find a spot for them if they are good enough.

This was the same Alabama team that booted Alonzo Lawrence off the team, the same Alonzo Lawrence the 'Canes fanbase was drooling to get.

For 30+ years Alabama has found ways to exploit the medical redshirt rule. ****, I remember them having guys stick around campus for 6+ years with regularity.

Also add me to the list that disagrees with "cutting" or having forced transfers of kids who dont play out footballwise. I believe that you bring a kid in for four years no matter what. The coach then gets total discretion on the 5th year.

One thing, too, is they move players around to find a spot for them. I noticed this when doing my research for the Alabama D-Line recruits thread on the football board. They recruit a lot of players that are versatile and find a spot for them if they are good enough.

This was the same Alabama team that booted Alonzo Lawrence off the team, the same Alonzo Lawrence the 'Canes fanbase was drooling to get.

It's because he was a 4 star recruit.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back