Alabama Football Announces Bill O’Brien as Offensive Coordinator and Quarterbacks Coach

Advertisement
He’s a beast. I don’t know how Tenn. landed him in the first place. Will be a 1st-2nd round draft pick IMO if he finishes at Bama.
But man, if these SEC schools can get these poly dudes from out West, so should we.

Yeah, I remember. But it's not the same. We were at the time a bottom up program where competent coaches made their mark and moved to pros. Bama is top down where coaches from pros go back for rehab or X-college HC's continue getting a paycheck as analysts while they wait for a better gig. Kind of the opposite side of the coin but very effective, obviously.

This is well put

(Allow me to clear my throat for a second)

So back in ‘14 Bama hired Josh Lupoi. He was only an analyst or analysis per some here. I’m not sure if I said it here or another site, but I was extremely ****ed. Why? B/c I knew Lupoi would eventually open a pipe line to the Polynesian community. He recruited them at Cal & especially UDub.

Then Josh became a full time on field coach in like ‘16. In ‘17, he was the primary recruiter for who? Tua & his little brother. Now Josh is no longer there, but the damage is already done, b/c Tua became a top 10 pick while at Bama, and now the Bama staff can go & recruit that community w/ more confidence.

So, as I’ve been pounding this site saying we either a) hire a Polynesian on staff b) hire someone who’s familiar with that community to name drop former players or c) find a way to get just ONE Polynesian on the squad so we can have a way to start building from there.

This is no surprise that To’o To’o is linked to Bama. And to answer the ? about how did UTK end up w him (besides bags)? Brian Niedermeyer (a name from our past). He’s from Alaska (a sizable, per capita population of Polynesians), and was on Bama’s staff during Tua. He was To’o’s lead recruiter.

Niedermeyer is no longer there, but again, u just need a connect.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back