Alabama Breaks Canes Draft Record - Most Drafted from One Roster

Advertisement
It's a product of the improvement in scouting services. Harder to be completely wrong about top players. With Alabama winning and developing players, it's harder to miss on a guy with NFL potential than ever. COVID year helps too. They'll have a few more today for sure.

Advertisement
Phidarian Mathis was selected in the second round of the NFL Draft, No. 47 overall, by the Washington Commanders on Friday, and in doing so, helped Alabama football make NFL history.

Mathis became the 39th player taken from Alabama's 2017 team, breaking a tie with 2001 Miami for most draft picks from one college football team. Entering Friday, both the Hurricanes and the Crimson Tide were tied at 38 apiece.

Link: https://www.tuscaloosanews.com/stor...-draft-record-most-picks-one-team/7414130001/
Meh

I'm curious and wanna see a numbers comparison from 2017 bama players drafted in 2021 and 2022 and how many of them may or may not have benefited from the additional covid year, but im too lazy to look.

2001 Miami had only 10 out of their 38 drafted in 2005 and 2006.

Advertisement
deliverance GIF

In a time period when it seems over 80% of 5 star* athletes go to only about 10 CFB programs it was bound to happen.

Congrats. So what? I really couldn't care less, especially with things being as they are now. No comparison.

What Miami & Butch were able to accomplish and develop even while including numerous 3-2 stars was and will ALWAYS continue to be unparalleled.

Last edited:
Players from that 2001 team will be HOFā€™ers and one is already a HOFā€™er. 2 are arguably the top two safeties to ever play the game. Others are in top 5 arguments for their respective positions both college and pros. Canā€™t think of anything those Bama players from 2017 will be remembered for other than being coached by Saban and whatever college award they have won

Advertisement
I said years ago those boys will break all our records eventually. They will have a first rounder 16 years straight and counting.

Most of those guys from the 2001 squad that made to league became PRO Bowlers and HOFā€™ers , Bama playersā€¦.not so much

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back