Al Groh fired.

D7.

I'm just here for the booty GIF's
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...out-as-defensive-coordinator-at-georgia-tech/

Allowing 30 points a game and ranking among the worst defenses in the country through six games has been officially enough to cost Al Groh his job as Georgia Tech’s defensive coordinator.

In a release Monday afternoon, Paul Johnson announced that Groh’s services would no longer be required, effective immediately. Groh was in the middle of his third season with the Yellow Jackets after a nine-year tenure as Virginia’s head coach.

Georgia Tech has allowed an average of 46 points in its last three games (all losses). In defensive categories this season, the Yellow Jackets ranked 107th in total yards allowed, 109th in passing yards allowed, 89th in rushing yards allowed, 91st in points per game, 92nd in yards per game and 93rd in touchdowns allowed.

Below is a statement from Groh. A successor has not yet been named.

“The Institute has decided to go in a different direction, which I respect. I appreciate all the help and input from (assistant defensive coaches) Charles Kelly, Joe Speed and Andy McCollum, and the effort of all the players.

“I aimed to give the best that I had every day. It’s been an honor to be a part of the legacy of Georgia Tech football. I feel positive that this is a good time in life to move on to a new situation.”

Johnson is set to address the media today at 3:30 p.m. ET.

Advertisement
Thats not his fault he doesn't have the talent. You could draw it up but you gotta have the guys.

Advertisement
Paul Johnson belongs at Nebraska. If they fire Pelini, he needs to go there. Although, I hope he stays in our division because when our defense is down GT's option is like Robitussin.

Paul Johnson is a doofus. He doesn't even care about the defense. I honestly don't even think he cares about winning that much either. He has a massive ego and he mostly just seems to want to prove to people that his offense can work in a BCS conference.

Johnson has been a successful HC everywhere he has been. Maybe he (and his offense) isn't built for high D1 football but he's won everywhere he's been at a pretty good clip. GTech has still consistently been better then us since he's been there.

Paul Johnson is a doofus. He doesn't even care about the defense. I honestly don't even think he cares about winning that much either. He has a massive ego and he mostly just seems to want to prove to people that his offense can work in a BCS conference.

Johnson has been a successful HC everywhere he has been. Maybe he (and his offense) isn't built for high D1 football but he's won everywhere he's been at a pretty good clip. GTech has still consistently been better then us since he's been there.

And consistently lost to us

Advertisement
Yeap you right,Paul Johnson doesn't care about winning.

Come on man. Paul Jonhson has won every where he has been. Georgia Southern he put on the map, which they are now talking about moving up to fbs, Navy he actually made Navy good, and at GT they won he ACC one time. His offense is made to where you dont need the big time recruits to be succsesful. For GT 8-4 every year is good them.

Advertisement

Come on man. Paul Jonhson has won every where he has been. Georgia Southern he put on the map, which they are now talking about moving up to fbs, Navy he actually made Navy good, and at GT they won he ACC one time. His offense is made to where you dont need the big time recruits to be succsesful. For GT 8-4 every year is good them.
Johnson did a fine job at Georgia Southern, but Erk Russell put them on the map.

He won the acc because...

1. The acc sucks
2. He lucked into the best talent he's had since he's been there.

Last edited:
Advertisement

History rewritten. Erk Russell, longtime UGa assistant put Georgia Southern on the map in the 1980s leading them to a couple of National Championships.

History rewritten. Erk Russell, longtime UGa assistant put Georgia Southern on the map in the 1980s leading them to a couple of National Championships.

Three in five years.

Paul Johnson belongs at Nebraska. If they fire Pelini, he needs to go there. Although, I hope he stays in our division because when our defense is down GT's option is like Robitussin.

This. If we could beat them THIS YEAR, which is as bad as we'll ever be, then as long as Johnson is at GA Tech, we are never losing to them again.

The honeymoon is definitely over for Johnson and GT. Firing Groh now might help keep his job for 1 more year.

I would rather Johnson stay there as they will rarely be a threat. Will be a lot of good coaches without a job at the end of the year. Hopefully Petrino does not want to return to Atlanta.

Advertisement
Back