Al Golden's Recruiting History at The U

BlackKeysFan

Sophomore
First off, this is all my opinion. Have a date tonight and would like to get my sports nerd out of my system. One thing I want to avoid is talking about the defensive scheme any more. This thread is not about that. If you discuss that, you are derailing it. We all get it. Seriously. Every single one of us gets it. Another thing I'm going to avoid is bringing up mentioning the kids we recruited hard and did not get. Can't kidnap them. I think this staff has shown that it puts in the effort and some kids just don't want to be Canes. Discussing them isn't productive because they didn't come. Kids who were not offered is valid to discuss IMO

Advertisement
We never really swept SoFla in the past, but the local perception of the school is all on golden

From the looks of things this cycle he is trying to change that perception and change his ways of recruiting (get a feeling coley has a lot to do with it)

We never really swept SoFla in the past, but the local perception of the school is all on golden

From the looks of things this cycle he is trying to change that perception and change his ways of recruiting (get a feeling coley has a lot to do with it)

The current perception of the program was firmly established before Golden got here. He hasn't done enough to turn it around, so he's part of the problem, but Coker, Shannon, the administration, the NCAA, local media and us as "fans" have all contributed.

I agree with this. I think that with the obvious amount of offers that have gone out so far to 2015 kids(and it seems with quite a few that Miami is their first offer), that Al is starting to change the way he approaches recruiting and the whole dynamic of being in South Florida. Anyone who takes over a new team obviously has the goal of getting to the top tier of college football, but in my opinion Al seems to have been very stubborn and arrogant in the way that he has approached the recruiting aspect over the past few years. Everything you think and feel is always good in theory, but when you go out with that plan and it doesn't produce to the level you thought it would, it's disheartening, depressing, and hopefully a kick in the *** that things need to change. I think that he is finally coming around to the thought that he doesn't know better than everyone else, and he's not the "smartest man in the room", and I believe the amount of early offers going out right now prove that he is finally adapting to the environment he is coaching in. Will he get every stud down here? No, obviously not. There are way to many top quality players to go around and to think that Miami can land them all is ignorant, especially considering the product that we have fielded for the past 10 years or so. The only way for Al to succeed from here on out is to put aside his ego and realize that he has to adapt the environment that he is living and coaching in in respect to players, coaches, and handlers. I think he does a great job of pushing hard for out of state studs, and those kids are going to be needed in order for Miami to succeed as a program, but getting local studs is obviously priority number 1. It seems so far that he is changing his mentality to the way he is approaching the 2015 class, and my hope is that he changes some of his thoughts on the field as well. Kids are all about impression, and when they see success on the field of play, it should go a long way in changing their minds on how they feel about the current product of Miami football.

If we pretend there is no $$$ going on in recruiting for a moment, Al has done a good job. Throw out first class because there was no work done on it by previous staff and firing a black head coach came at a cost. The second class was of course under THE CLOUD, but still quit good at the top. Can't really credit Al with Duke, kid was born a Cane, and Duke is probably the biggest reason Al stole Tracy from the gator. Still he got two 5*s. Landing Deon was great and a couple others. The problem was down the line from there, way too many misses and also ran's in the class. Last year's class was important for one big reason, we landed a top QB. The class was crippled by Donna's decision to self-impose ship reductions that the ncaa didn't end up counting. This lead to being left at the altar by a couple kids and much noise and drama. The BTW kids were gone and not Al's fault, losing Collins was much more painful--see FSU game and season after Duke's injury. Still that class is not bad, everything considered. And getting Stacy, the best receiver I have seen ot of So Fl in along time, was great

Those first two classes biggest failure was inability to make up for losing Teddy with a quality QB and not getting any real DTs. The third class finally addressed the QB but still fell on there faces with no DTs. The 2014 class is the first real balanced class with quality and quantity where needed. Another even more exciting QB and finally so DT and NT recruits worthy of the name. Strength up the middle of the defense, refresh oline, and another stud RB. An the crown jewel, since we got some DTs, is the DE and outside rush class. Chad could end up being it Dan Stubbs' area code if the DTs pan out. Everyone else will look like 1st round picks while offenses throw everything at this beast. While some might spend time on what could have been, for me this class is outstanding, with losing one DT to the slave trade market in Louisiana being the biggest flaw.

Staff is doing a good job recruiting, not quite good enough, but good. If we get real and understand that $$$ do flow in the recruiting and understand we cannot play that way, then the staff is doing a really good job, that still needs to get better. This class gives us sufficient talent to fill in with the previous three for talent to not be an excuse this year. Future recruiting improvement will require kicking some rear end on the field this year. Hard work only goes so far and then it is results that matter.

Advertisement
It's all about progress for me. Golden's classes look like they show progress in talent each year, with the huge exception of losing Collins, Bostwick and a second LB (Moore) in 2013. 2014 was a very well-balanced class which should provide us with the depth we've been lacking. If Golden avoids position gaps and keeps improving the talent, we'll be fine. I think all of us would agree that the Ws need to come for us to maintain momentum.

But the future says --Of the top 30 players in florida for 2015--FSU has 3 commits--Miami has 0 commits..

Advertisement
He's been a relatively terrible recruiter. If he wants to keep his job, he'll have to prove that the "cloud" was real and actually start pulling in some of the guys he's missing. If he had pulled maybe 3 more elite players down here out of the whole lot we missed out on, this class looks a lot different.

Say we get Valentine, Cook, and Jackson. This is a much different class. Or even Valentine, Rudolph, and Jackson.

We got a great class this year a championship class and now that the ncaa thing isnt over our head its only going to get better with a guy like golden

Advertisement

Gotta win

This, however, is a Chicken and the Egg situation: Miami is eventually going to need start stacking elite talent in order to win, at least with the current coaching staff in place. Nothing about this staff indicates they exploit talent, make up for the lack of talent with great off-field coaching or great gameday coaching, etc.

It will be interesting to see how UM approaches this upcoming class. A ton of posters have high hopes for the season, but barring some sort of miracle, more than 7 or 8 wins would surprise me. What is Golden going start selling to recruits then? The process? How long does this process take, it's year four? You can bet he'll have to answering questions like that and it's going to be an uphill battle.

Al has a problem right now. They can't win without elite talent, and that elite talent won't come if they can't win. Maybe he will prove me wrong and pull a great class without a big season this year. I'm doubting it though.

Advertisement

Gotta win

This, however, is a Chicken and the Egg situation: Miami is eventually going to need start stacking elite talent in order to win, at least with the current coaching staff in place. Nothing about this staff indicates they exploit talent, make up for the lack of talent with great off-field coaching or great gameday coaching, etc.

It will be interesting to see how UM approaches this upcoming class. A ton of posters have high hopes for the season, but barring some sort of miracle, more than 7 or 8 wins would surprise me. What is Golden going start selling to recruits then? The process? How long does this process take, it's year four? You can bet he'll have to answering questions like that and it's going to be an uphill battle.

If by some miracle meaning solid QB play, I don't see why the team can't win 9+ games even if the defense improves 5-10 spots.

@Louisville-without Teddy and best defensive starters. W
A&M + ArkSt W
@Nerbaska- IDK but Ameer Abdullah is going to be a problem to stop. Probably our first loss.
vs Duke- doubt we get embarrassed twice with better talent & at home. W
@GT- best QB and best OLB and S gone. W
vs Cinn- they lost to USF. W
@VT- IDK but a bye week should help.
vs UNC- W
vs FSU- Want a win but a loss is inevitable. L
@UVA- W
vs Pitt- W

Last edited:
****, forgot about this **** lol. Was gonna come back to it. lost the inspiration when something came up in my garden

Gotta win

If by some miracle meaning solid QB play, I don't see why the team can't win 9+ games even if the defense improves 5-10 spots.

@Louisville-without Teddy and best defensive starters. W
A&M + ArkSt W
@Nerbaska- IDK but Ameer Abdullah is going to be a problem to stop. Probably our first loss.
vs Duke- doubt we get embarrassed twice with better talent & at home. W
@GT- best QB and best OLB and S gone. W
vs Cinn- they lost to USF. W
@VT- IDK but a bye week should help.
vs UNC- W
vs FSU- Want a win but a loss is inevitable. L
@UVA- W
vs Pitt- W

How is our defense going to improve when we still have massive issues at defensive tackle? QB isn't the only position where issues and questions linger.

Also, projecting wins and losses is pretty useless.

A huge issue I have with this staff is that, seemingly on a regular basis, mediocre teams and teams with less talent than Miami, always seem to give us fits. That's why I hate projecting wins and losses on paper. It's more than just Team A has more Talent than Team B. Coaching needs to be part of this equation, and I can't say the Miami staff gives its team the upper hand all that often.

Everyone said this very same thing last year: Given our schedule, how do we not win the Coastal?

We struggled against many mediocre teams and failed to win the big games (a 4-8 UF team doesn't count).

If were entering year 2, I'd have more hope. But Golden hasn't shown improvement and I don't feel comfortable saying we'll improve next season given a tougher schedule.

Advertisement
Back