Al Golden

sszoeboy

Freshman
I saw something on twitter and wanted the board's opinion on this. Where would The Canes be right now if Golden fired his buddy and hired Manny Diaz?

Advertisement
they’d be McDonald cheeseburgers and would finally not rise to the occasion.

Not much different just easier to make fun of

The team takes on the HC's personality. Golden still would've failed at Miami. There were other parts of his tenure at Miami that were bad. His most glaring just happened to be his defense. In the end, Golden would never fire a staff member and shows the same stubbornness that Richt's doing right now. He would've found another way to fail.

Sad to be considering this with so much hype going into the Richt era. I have actually thought about this since Diaz moved on to Temple. Golden teams could put up numbers at times. Our defense couldn’t do jack. I initially believed that the defense was so terrible because the offense would strike so quickly when they scored. I then realized that D’Onofrio was incompetent.

I think the combo of Golden/Diaz would be better than the product that we witnessed on the field this year. Long term, I don’t think that it brings you any closer to a Natty, which should always be the goal. But it is a compelling thought.

Advertisement
Golden never really had a problem in putting up points. It was the defense that was the problem tbh

I saw something on twitter and wanted the board's opinion on this. Where would The Canes be right now if Golden fired his buddy and hired Manny Diaz?

Not that Manny Diaz is a savior, he just runs the proper scheme for our talent base. He doesn't always call it correctly... but his scheme is far more successful than the 3-4 2Gap.

However, to answer your question, we would probably be preparing to play a playoff game.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Golden never really had a problem in putting up points. It was the defense that was the problem tbh
IIRC Golden’s offenses put up points, but he called the dogs off too quickly. So the D would lose the lead while the O was in full on Mark Richt mode second half of the game.

Advertisement
Not that Manny Diaz is a savior, he just runs the proper scheme for our talent base. He doesn't always call it correctly... but his scheme is far more successful than the 3-4 2Gap.

However, to answer your question, we would probably be preparing to play a playoff game.
That defense killed golden. If he was able to pull his head outta his *** he could’ve had something.

You could say the same if Richt hired a competent OC.

IMG_20181219_231142.jpg

Al Golden still our coach mane.

Advertisement
Back