Al Golden: Hurricanes Ready to Take Next Step in 2015

Advertisement
http://www.mypalmbeachpost.com/news/sports/college-football/stronger-miami-football-program-would-bolster-accs/nmGBw/#aa81847c.3880616.735732

Stronger Miami football program would bolster ACC’s image
By Matt Porter May 13, 2015

AMELIA ISLAND —It was supposed to be the All Canes Conference, and at the time, it was tough to argue with the moniker.

In its final four seasons in the Big East, UM football was 46-4 with four conference titles and a national championship. The baseball team was a national power, with titles in 1999 and 2001. The basketball team was an NCAA tournament contender.

In 2004, the ACC was happy to add Miami and its national cachet in marquee sports. While baseball has retained its respect under longtime coach Jim Morris and Jim Larranaga’s basketball program is on the rise, football hasn’t held up its end of the bargain.

Entering its 12th ACC season, UM is 46-42 in conference games (81-57 overall), with zero bowl wins since 2006 and two sub-.500 finishes in the last eight years. The ACC, meanwhile, struggles with the perception that it is the weak link among Power 5 football conferences. If Miami regained its footing, that would go a long way in vanquishing that idea.

“I think it would do for the ACC what everyone anticipated it would do when Miami joined,” UM athletic director Blake James said at the league’s spring meetings. “It would raise the profile.”

The spotlight has been on the Hurricanes of late for the wrong reasons. Last year’s 6-7 record only framed positive accomplishments, like seven draft picks and six NFL free-agent signees, in disbelief. But a talented quarterback and an increase in depth mean Miami is getting healthier.

There are few better building blocks in college football than Brad Kaaya, the ACC’s reigning rookie of the year who set UM freshman records in passing yards (3,198) and touchdowns (a conference-best 26). Miami hasn’t had player that talented at the game’s most important position since Ken Dorsey.

Then there’s the depth. Golden’s recruiting classes from 2011-13 averaged more than nine players a year who transferred, didn’t qualify, quit the team or were dismissed. That’s more than a third of the players UM signed in that time.

The NCAA penalized UM in Oct. 2013 for misdeeds committed by booster Nevin Shapiro. So far, one player from UM’s 2014 signing class has transferred. Golden said players are sticking around because they’re certain of the team’s future.

“There’s less attrition now because there’s less turmoil,” he said. “It’s a much better culture to be in, much better place to be around. There’s a lot of discontent when you’re going through something like that. It’s human nature to feel like you’re let down or betrayed.”

Sixteen players in UM’s signing class will report to campus Monday for the first summer school session, joining five players who arrived in January. UM expects all of its freshmen to arrive by June, and all are expected to qualify.

It hasn’t been a perfect offseason. The eligibility of a starting offensive tackle from last year (Taylor Gadbois) remains in question due to an undisclosed violation committed last year. Cornerback Antonio Crawford, a rising senior, raised a stink on social media before transferring to West Virginia during spring practice. There could be issues to come. After all, this is a team that went 6-7 and lost a host of NFL talent.

But at least the NCAA drama is gone, overall depth is improving and there’s a talented quarterback in place.

“I think we’re getting better,” James said. “Part of that is – and I recognize a lot of time it’s not always what the fans want to hear —it’s further distancing ourselves from the NCAA situation. It’s giving Al and Jim more time at the institution. I think that’s something that’s positive.”

WOW... still bringing up the Cloud (~1:30 in to the video). ****, this guy is just hard coded to be an excuse making douche. That is definitely an indicator of a 5 or 6 win season.

"you haters cant see me, im untouchable"!

119713-650-366.jpg

I cant take this mfcka seriously anymore... i really cant.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Got fed up at 00:45 and stopped it, which was great because Golden's eyes start doing The Exorcist at that point. Try it...I mean adding another piece of proof to the 1,347,893 other pieces of evidence that Al Golden was sent by Satan to destroy the "Canes football program can't hurt, can it?

Advertisement
Then there’s the depth. Golden’s recruiting classes from 2011-13 averaged more than nine players a year who transferred, didn’t qualify, quit the team or were dismissed. That’s more than a third of the players UM signed in that time.

The most incriminating stat of Golden

Do we take the next step before we turn the corner or after? I'm confused, can you turn the corner before you take the next step? It all comes after you reload, right? 4-8.

Advertisement

The most incriminating stat of Golden

Yeah, that attrition was worse than any of "The Cloud" and NCAA BS.

We might as well have been on probation.

Next step 7-6. Whooo Hoooo! Celebrating being above .500. His record is every excuse except "I can't coach or recruit". This dude and that freaking James are the two biggest douche bags I have ever seen and man I seen a lot of douche bags.

Advertisement
Back