Ahmmon Richards

All ACC
Premium
Drove down from Jax for the game tomorrow, going to head off to my Alma mater Wellington Highs playoff game tonight against Park Vista. I Can't wait to get a look at Richards. He's putting up ridiculous numbers up right now, last game 5 TD's and something like 260 yards if I remember correctly against Leonard.

If you don't know Wellington is never good. In my 26 years I can only remember one, maybe two decent playoff teams and that's before several schools including Palm Beach Central opened on the other side of Wellington. (Terry, McDermotts, O'Donnell, Jean-Louis, Bostic). Everyone's blown away that there's a one loss Wellington team in the playoffs. They haven't made the playoffs in ages until Richards emerged. I heard he's at times been double and triple teamed opening up a lot of room for other receivers. There's a lot of question marks about his speed as a receiver the next level, i'll tell you what I see tonight. Can't wait

Last edited:
Advertisement
Love his size, and I don't see speed as an issue at all. For a kid thats a legit 6'3" he can fly. He's so smooth and he's tough to cover. Best receiver in 2016 IMO. Versatility is a big key here too. Can play both sides of the ball at a high level.

Very wirey, I ruled out the possibility of him at s immediately. His frame and the way he high pointed the ball reminded me of a poor mans AJ Green.

Wellington basically used him as a decoy vs Vista. They had a safety right over the top of him playing x most of the game. They threw to the other side to #3 Renee and the running back had a huge day with no safeties in the middle of the field.

Gardens has 2 D1 corners (Fau, Rutgers) , it'll be interesting to see what Richards can do.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Kid had 2 INTs and a TD reception over double coverage in the end zone against Park Vista.

As for what position he should play. Been watching every game, every tape. I want him at Receiver. He has upside on both sides but I can see him as an early impact at receiver. IDK about poor mans AJ Green i think thats even cutting him short. Shouldn't be poor man anything the way he plays. Kid has an astronomical number of TDs this year as a receiver.

I legitimately think he is 2016 best Wide Receiver. I don't see where the question of speed came from. I see tall, fast, smooth, great hands, jumping ability, high points the ball and great vision to the end zone.

It's not the most athletic district in the world to say the least and he didn't seem to have elite speed or separation. Looks like a mid 4.6 guy. I know I brought up the AJ Green body type comparison but I'm also not quite sure about 6' 3" that may be stretching it a bit.

It's not the most athletic district in the world to say the least and he didn't seem to have elite speed or separation. Looks like a mid 4.6 guy. I know I brought up the AJ Green body type comparison but I'm also not quite sure about 6' 3" that may be stretching it a bit.

That's at least what's been said about his height. A good 6'2"-6'3" range. He's tall and lanky. I mean I've never seen Richards live, but he looks faster than 4.6 to me. He looks fast for a kid that's 6'3" IMO. I would say low 4.5 maybe pushing it 4.4 range. We'll see as they go deeper into the playoffs but I don't think you can down play this kid. He's the real deal. The numbers he's had this year is unheard of and Wellington not known to have a great team. Richards was about to transfer to Dwyer over the offseason, his pops wanted him to and he decided to stick with Wellington.

I mean teams are keying in on this kid every week and he still makes an impact. He'll really have some great chances against more competition throughout the playoffs. He will shine.

I mean if he does end up running a 4.6 at camps over the summer. I'm 99% sure that will improve even more after a college weight program.

He has a smooth run style too, reminds me of the way Stacy Coley runs. Looks effortless.

Richards is also the youngest of the 4 committed receivers in 2016.

Last edited:
Per ESPN:
STRENGTHS: Richards is a tough receiver who uses his understanding of defensive schemes to get open. Very willing to go across the middle to make plays and is willing to make catches in traffic.
AREAS OF IMPROVEMENT: Has good route running ability but just needs to become more consistent. Can add weight to his long frame. Lacks great speed and a second gear.
BOTTOM LINE: Richards is an athlete who makes plays all over the field. If he can learn to become a more consistent route runner then he should see a jump in his production. Improved speed will enhance stock.

Advertisement
Speed can be improved in a college weight program as well as size. Really from what I've watched on him. Issue I see is weight which he can easily pack on his frame. I don't see speed as his problem though.... Maybe it's the competition but I see this guy outrunning everyone. I think the playoffs will give more insight too.

Also I remember watching a film on him of him at some camps and he was separating and killing some of the top DBs in 2016. IMO weakness I see in his game for now is just his weight.

We'll see.

Advertisement
Back