Against better judgement?

I will be attending wedding, just wondered if I was turning as "soft" as the AL GOLDEN Hurricanes seem to be. Guess a lot of us are it seems. My daughter is a senior in Columbia, and is on their dance team. So I am already going to that crappy place 4 weekends to watch the dance team perform. (anything to support her, and it's just one more yr) She dancing at the Florida, LSU, Clemson, and Kentucky games, all other weekends I would rather be at my poolside tiki bar with friends, family, and food! Few adult beverages as well. :crownpour:

Advertisement
This sounds so familiar as I had the same crisis in 83. This is a big deal guys so be sympathetic. My young business associate picked the night of the FSU game during our first championship season to get married. My wife was so upset with my attitude I had to crawl back into her good graces.( That didn't matter because there wasn't a game going on during that process.) When you get to the end of the day there is no way any of us can defend our passion for our college football team. My main argument for leaving the wedding cake/dancing scene frequently in favor of the bar where the game was being played was "They probably will get divorced anyway" which they did by the way. The lesson here my friend is that if you choose to be obnoxious like I did don't try to defend yourself that will only make it worse just tell your wife to get over it or whatever.

This sounds so familiar as I had the same crisis in 83. This is a big deal guys so be sympathetic. My young business associate picked the night of the FSU game during our first championship season to get married. My wife was so upset with my attitude I had to crawl back into her good graces.( That didn't matter because there wasn't a game going on during that process.) When you get to the end of the day there is no way any of us can defend our passion for our college football team. My main argument for leaving the wedding cake/dancing scene frequently in favor of the bar where the game was being played was "They probably will get divorced anyway" which they did by the way. The lesson here my friend is that if you choose to be obnoxious like I did don't try to defend yourself that will only make it worse just tell your wife to get over it or whatever.

Not sure if you've noticed but, there's quite a difference between our '83 team and our '15 team.

My friends know not to ask me to come to a wedding during football season. Their wives have from Feb - Aug (plenty of time and a convenience to everyone) to decide when to have the wedding. There is no need for them to be selfish and ruin my football weekends lol.

If the wedding is the day of the Clemson game they better have a room at the reception with the game on cause those Clemson fans aren't gonna miss that game. If it's the day of the FSU game and the game time conflicts with the wedding, you tape the game and watch later if you know it's gonna be a kick *** reception. Otherwise, you blow off the wedding.

People still 'tape' games?

Advertisement
My friends know not to ask me to come to a wedding during football season. Their wives have from Feb - Aug (plenty of time and a convenience to everyone) to decide when to have the wedding. There is no need for them to be selfish and ruin my football weekends lol.

You are doing them a favor. If they want your attention, and that of most other football fans, during their festivities, they would schedule accordingly.

I warned my wife 24 years ago tomorrow (anniversary) that to make plans that include me during football season on Sat or Sun would be a giant mistake as she would be going all by herself.
Don't have any family functions during the season. Simple as that. She has been good and helped to make my football weekends as stress free as possible.
I have also told all relatives to not schedule any funerals on weekends during the season. Put it in your will.

I just don't get people that will call up on football Sat or Sun during the game knowing full well I'm busy watching. I have friend in Palm Beach thats a Dolphin and Cane fan like me and he has the nerve to ring me up during a offensive possession! Idiot!
Geez, they just don't get it! But I guess it does separate the real fan from the fake fan.

If you don't want to bare witness to the emasculation of a man for the rest of his life, go to the wedding.

I read a lot here. And have somewhat figured out how to navigate through the garbage, from the comedy, to the real info, etc... Gonna ask because if you read here, chances are this has happened to you! I have a friend, who doesn't watch College football (he's a soccer fan...I know, I should've known), that wants to get married in Oct! My first response was,"glad you not doing it on a Saturday! Half those fail statistically!" He hit me with Oct 10th or 24th...... FSU or Clemson! (who we only play every 7 yrs! and I live in Charleston now so lots of Tigers around) I don't expect a lot from an Al Golden coached team, but I wanna watch regardless. I asked him why he didn't wanna do it in soccer season, or during world cup. But they don't get it. How do I satisfy them without frikn' up my day?

First off - satire and poster comedy is not allowed here.

When poster comedy is attempted,

DMoney lights a candle, sacrifices a chicken, and puts a voodoo mojo on the violator - who mysteriously spends the next 72 hours on the toilet, and

Andrew inexplicably starts belting out songs from West Side Story. And he's not really that good.

Only Golden and crew are our prime sources of comedy - interviews, defensive schemes, repetitive play calling, and personnel lineups.

It's funny enough to bring tears of laughter to grown men.

It is sufficient.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I missed two games last season b/c of weddings/galas and we lost them both. Hopefully I'll have a few fall on UM games and we lose those as well.

If that happened to me, I'd be volunteering to go to a wedding every game day this season.

You're a good man. Keep up the good work.

Had a friend get married during UM/FSU back in the early 90's. He and his wife had the nerve to get mad during the reception because all the guys were huddled around a portable TV watching the game while all the girls danced by themselves. That's what they got for picking the wrong day.

I missed a couple games to stay home and fist myself, then nailed my dong to a 2x4. Far more enjoyable than watching an Al Gorlden coached team in person .

Advertisement
Im bound to miss a few games as Canes season is also huntin season....just record it and resist the temptation to get updates and look at this board.

Advertisement
Back