Again with the HACK

SPAMM

Redshirt Freshman
Now that baseball season is over, they moved to the basketball board and this morning the main board. I have never read a post explaining the issue and CIS response and defense mechanisms. Are there broader threats posed for users of the site?

Advertisement
Now that baseball season is over, they moved to the basketball board and this morning the main board. I have never read a post explaining the issue and CIS response and defense mechanisms. Are there broader threats posed for users of the site?
Defenses? lol.

Your handle is SPAMM and you created a post containing the word “HACK,” yet weren’t flagged.

Defense? Look around you, kid. This ain’t exactly the ‘85 Bears.

It is not that complicated.

Do not allow new users to post for a day. Setup a captcha to make sure bots are not signing up.

LOL @ defenses.

It takes time to make a fake account but only takes seconds to hit ignore user. I've done it every time one of these happens and it works like a charm.

Advertisement
It takes time to make a fake account but only takes seconds to hit ignore user. I've done it every time one of these happens and it works like a charm.
Yeah, but like @Hegemon stated, you shouldn't have to do that. It's pretty Bush League stuff. And while I don't totally agree with everything he's suggesting, it's not that hard to stop spam bots.

The only thing I would suggest differently is, rather than an out right ban on first day posters, maybe a probationary period of 24 or 48 hours where all comments require moderator approval, and not being able to start a new thread for a few days.

I think quite a few people who create an account are long time lurkers. I know I was. I read this sight for years before I came across something that struck me in a way that cause me to create an account just so I could join the conversation. If I would have been made to wait a day, I probably never would have joined.

Yeah, but like @Hegemon stated, you shouldn't have to do that. It's pretty Bush League stuff. And while I don't totally agree with everything he's suggesting, it's not that hard to stop spam bots.

The only thing I would suggest differently is, rather than an out right ban on first day posters, maybe a probationary period of 24 or 48 hours where all comments require moderator approval, and not being able to start a new thread for a few days.

I think quite a few people who create an account are long time lurkers. I know I was. I read this sight for years before I came across something that struck me in a way that cause me to create an account just so I could join the conversation. If I would have been made to wait a day, I probably never would have joined.
I too was a "lurker" until I finally had the time to make "intelligent" remarks. If we never would have signed up @Loose Cannon, just think of all the insight lost to all on CIS! LOL

Advertisement
Back