After the Storm: Louisville

These defensive grades are too harsh. 1 of the TDs was in garbage time against backups and we was getting held all night. Louisville is a very explosive offense as well, we’re y’all expecting a shut out?

The defense will be fine and the offense is more than capable of helping mask our defensive deficiencies in the meantime. Looking forward to seeing our defense take the next step in future seasons as we start to bring in more highly rated recruits. Still need an infusion of talent at a couple spots before we can start expecting “elite” defensive play.

Advertisement
Holding a Top 20 offense to 6 points in their building in the first half to allow your high-powered offense to take the game by the throat does not deserve a "D" grade. Sorry. They weren't great overall, of course. The 2nd half was definitely too loose. But a "D" is far too harsh. That team averaged 33 a game last year and have everyone back on offense except for Becton (admittedly a big loss). It's a 60 minute game....the 2nd 30 was bad, but doesn't overshadow what was done in the first 30 to the tune of a "D".

Poor overall cornerback play is what hurting this defense. Remember how good the defense was with Malek Young, Michael Jackson, and Trajan Bandy.

Pair that defense with this offense and special teama = national title contender.
We had a better defensive coordinator.

Advertisement
If Lashlee's offense is going to continue to score points at this pace, the defense better take conditioning to heart.

Our starting MLB had 1 tackle - and UL ran the ball 50 times. Their three star running back averaged 6 yards per carry. And Miami fans all over the place are making excuses for the defense. This is nuts to me.

Our standards are in the toilet now.

Our starting MLB had 1 tackle - and UL ran the ball 50 times. Their three star running back averaged 6 yards per carry. And Miami fans all over the place are making excuses for the defense. This is nuts to me.

I don't disagree with the sentiment but can we please stop calling good players "three star" guys to demean their ability when they're clearly good players? Just because the guy was underrated coming out of high school doesn't make him a bad player. Javian Hawkins had over 1500 yards rushing last year. He's not some bum. I mean does UAB have the best corner backs in the country because they shut down 5 star Mark Pope?

Advertisement
I don't disagree with the sentiment but can we please stop calling good players "three star" guys to demean their ability when they're clearly good players? Just because the guy was underrated coming out of high school doesn't make him a bad player. Javian Hawkins had over 1500 yards rushing last year. He's not some bum. I mean does UAB have the best corner backs in the country because they shut down 5 star Mark Pope?

You put more energy into responding to me about his ranking than you did the 6 YPC - or the 1 tackle. Let that marinate.

These defensive grades are too harsh. 1 of the TDs was in garbage time against backups and we was getting held all night. Louisville is a very explosive offense as well, we’re y’all expecting a shut out?

The defense will be fine and the offense is more than capable of helping mask our defensive deficiencies in the meantime. Looking forward to seeing our defense take the next step in future seasons as we start to bring in more highly rated recruits. Still need an infusion of talent at a couple spots before we can start expecting “elite” defensive play.
Agreed. Probably didn't help the defense that the offense scored twice in two plays either. Essentially the defense had to be on the field for three straight drives without break. Explosive offense wins games but will make defensive stats look worse

Advertisement

Why did Vandy score 38 against a championship defense that put SIX players into the NFL? It's 2020 man.

Personally I think our defensive coaches are still trying to figure out our best players in certain positions. Nesta has DT1 locked up but second DT spot is a toss up. We are thin at DB which leaves us with limited choices. And I don't think Patke has a clue who our best linebackers are. McCloud is experienced but slow to the ball, and the young guys are inexperienced but quick.

This wasn't a WR dropped pass but.....let's not forget about Don Chaney's misread on the go route that could've easily been a long TD pass of what, about 60+ yards....he stopped running because I guess he didn't think the QB was coming his way....easily coachable moment and felt good to see him burn the defender like that....we'll see that play again when he's in the game my guess is he'll cash in this time.

Advertisement
I can’t help but to agree with this. If we get some of those holding calls, etc, the results of defense probably doesn’t appear as putrid. That poor officiating can easily splinter a teams potential cc: @Stefan Adams
Disagree................bad D playing cannot be blamed on the officials.
Rather the team should look on that as a challenge to lock down their opponent, not miss tackles, be out of position, not read formations,etc......
Play should be as tight in the 2 nd half as the first....there should be no let down.

I am not 100% confident with Baker and the D. Wasn't last year either. But Baker got a pass last year because Enos was SOOOO horrible that nobody paid that much attention to what Baker's failings were. Not so this year, the D has to improve or something needs to be done with Coach Baker.

Advertisement
Back