After receiving offer from Barry, 2020 OL Howard plans summer visit

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
Up until a month ago, 2020 Briarwood Christian (AL) 3-star OL Trent Howard had a quiet recruitment as a mostly unknown prospect with offers from only a few Group of 5 schools. However, his recruitment was ratcheted up a notch when the Miami Hurricanes offered him his first Power 5 scholarship late last month. Since then, Howard has added two more ACC offers in Boston College and Louisville, as well as a bid from Appalachian State.

“I had gone back and forth DM-ing coach Butch Barry on Twitter a couple of times,” Howard said. “Then, coach Barry called me and we had a great conversation and he offered me. It meant so much to me.”

With his stock rising, many other schools like Duke, Tennessee, Auburn have already gotten in contact with Howard and there are sure to be more offers to come in the near future. The 6’4” 285 pound lineman is planning on hitting multiple campuses this off-season, with a trip to Miami in mind for this summer.

“I currently have no official visits planned, but I still intend on going to Louisville, Duke, Tennessee, Auburn, several others, and Miami of course. I definitely plan to visit Miami, hopefully in June, if not before,” Howard said. “Right now, I am trying to get on as many campuses as possible so I can get a feel for the campuses and coaching staffs.”

The Canes are currently looking at Howard as a guard prospect and, with UM planning to take a big haul on the offensive line this cycle, the Briarwood Christian star could easily find his way into Category20. For his part, Howard says his interest in Miami couldn’t be much higher, and loves what new head coach Manny Diaz is bringing to the program.

“My interest is extremely high,” Howard said of UM. “I really have not developed a top list, but obviously the Canes are one of my top schools. I really think coach Diaz and the staff he has hired are going to do big things at the U.”

What does Howard like about Miami that has him considering wearing the orange and green for the next four years?

“The tradition of the Canes is an obvious one, but as I mentioned, coach Diaz and his staff, especially the offensive staff,” Howard said. “Specifically, coach Barry and coach (Dan) Enos have me really excited about the future direction of the Canes.”

It was Howard’s junior season film going out that has had more programs taking notice of the offensive line prospect. While he felt he did well individually in 2018 at Briarwood Christian, Howard says he looking for more team success in 2019 with the Lions.

“I was pretty pleased with my junior season overall,” Howard said. “However, coming off of a 14-1 sophomore season where we were state runner-ups, I was a little disappointed that we ended the season early in the second round with a 9-3 record.”

After taking his visits this summer, Howard believes he’ll be ready to make a commitment soon after, just before his senior season begins. In the end, the school that will win him over will provide both great football and a great business program.

“I don’t have a set timetable, but if possible, I would like to make my choice before I start my senior season with my teammates. I would really like to have this decision behind me before the season starts so I can help our team concentrate on getting back to the State Championship,” Howard said. “As far as for school, I am currently leaning toward a business major, so I am really interested finding the right fit for me on and off the field.”

Advertisement
He has good z bend and quick feet I like the offer. An he finishes his blocks which is a big plus for inside at guard.

Go Canes

Up until a month ago, 2020 Briarwood Christian (AL) 3-star OL Trent Howard had a quiet recruitment as a mostly unknown prospect with offers from only a few Group of 5 schools. However, his recruitment was ratcheted up a notch when the Miami Hurricanes offered him his first Power 5 scholarship late last month. Since then, Howard has added two more ACC offers in Boston College and Louisville, as well as a bid from Appalachian State.

“I had gone back and forth DM-ing coach Butch Barry on Twitter a couple of times,” Howard said. “Then, coach Barry called me and we had a great conversation and he offered me. It meant so much to me.”

With his stock rising, many other schools like Duke, Tennessee, Auburn have already gotten in contact with Howard and there are sure to be more offers to come in the near future. The 6’4” 285 pound lineman is planning on hitting multiple campuses this off-season, with a trip to Miami in mind for this summer.

“I currently have no official visits planned, but I still intend on going to Louisville, Duke, Tennessee, Auburn, several others, and Miami of course. I definitely plan to visit Miami, hopefully in June, if not before,” Howard said. “Right now, I am trying to get on as many campuses as possible so I can get a feel for the campuses and coaching staffs.”

The Canes are currently looking at Howard as a guard prospect and, with UM planning to take a big haul on the offensive line this cycle, the Briarwood Christian star could easily find his way into Category20. For his part, Howard says his interest in Miami couldn’t be much higher, and loves what new head coach Manny Diaz is bringing to the program.

“My interest is extremely high,” Howard said of UM. “I really have not developed a top list, but obviously the Canes are one of my top schools. I really think coach Diaz and the staff he has hired are going to do big things at the U.”

What does Howard like about Miami that has him considering wearing the orange and green for the next four years?

“The tradition of the Canes is an obvious one, but as I mentioned, coach Diaz and his staff, especially the offensive staff,” Howard said. “Specifically, coach Barry and coach (Dan) Enos have me really excited about the future direction of the Canes.”

It was Howard’s junior season film going out that has had more programs taking notice of the offensive line prospect. While he felt he did well individually in 2018 at Briarwood Christian, Howard says he looking for more team success in 2019 with the Lions.

“I was pretty pleased with my junior season overall,” Howard said. “However, coming off of a 14-1 sophomore season where we were state runner-ups, I was a little disappointed that we ended the season early in the second round with a 9-3 record.”

After taking his visits this summer, Howard believes he’ll be ready to make a commitment soon after, just before his senior season begins. In the end, the school that will win him over will provide both great football and a great business program.

“I don’t have a set timetable, but if possible, I would like to make my choice before I start my senior season with my teammates. I would really like to have this decision behind me before the season starts so I can help our team concentrate on getting back to the State Championship,” Howard said. “As far as for school, I am currently leaning toward a business major, so I am really interested finding the right fit for me on and off the field.”

Thank you once again Stefan! I greatly appreciate your keeping us up on the recruits.

Advertisement
Advertisement
guaranteed he jumps to 4-star next time they adjust rankings

Maybe, but a lot of Clemsons linemen are 3 stars. I saw a graphic somewhere on here that our average Star rating on the OL is the same or better than theirs, we just don’t develop and don’t use a scheme that caters to our strengths.

Maybe, but a lot of Clemsons linemen are 3 stars. I saw a graphic somewhere on here that our average Star rating on the OL is the same or better than theirs, we just don’t develop and don’t use a scheme that caters to our strengths.

We also don't recruit linemen with complimentary skillsets.....so even if we did cater to their strengths (which we don't) it would be difficult bc next to a big slow footed run blocker better suited for a man scheme, we have an athletic but not as strong player better suited for a zone scheme.

I prefer linemen who can move/bend - good footwork, balance, posture.....linemen that stay with their defender start to finish, not one punch and done guys. Wrestling background, big hands, long arms a plus.

You can teach them how to use their hands. You can teach them a better kick step. You can make them stronger.

Advertisement
Back