After offer from Barry, OL RJ Adams plans visit later this month

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
The search for talent on the offensive line has brought the Canes all over the country and Miami seems to have found a gifted prospect in the Atlantic region that has mutual interest. 2020 Woodbridge (VA) 3-star OG RJ Adams received an offer from OL coach Butch Barry and the Canes last week and he took some time to discuss how the situation unfolded.

“Well I was at home, we had a snow day here in Virginia. I’ve been talking with coach Barry for a while, and he told me to call him,” Adams said. “I called him on the phone and he just told me how they do things there at the U, how he wants me to come. He was trying to get me to visit and I told him I would, and that’s when he offered me a scholarship to Miami.”

Now that he has the offer from the Hurricanes, Adams is readying to make a trip to South Florida to get a look at the campus and get to know the UM staff better. The Woodbridge star is planning on making his Miami visit later this month with a certain 5-star teammate in LB Antoine Sampah, who received his UM offer in late 2018.

“Once I got the offer from Miami, he was like, ‘Yeah, we need to take that visit’,” Adams said of Sampah. “That’s my man. We hang out, that’s pretty much my brother. We do a lot of things together – football, school. We live right down the street from each other.”

Ever since Adams’ first realized he would have the opportunity to play D-I football at the next level, he has had an interest in living and playing in the state of Florida.

“I already know Miami is nice, I just want to see it for myself, I’m very interested in it,” Adams said. “Like ‘the U’, all the background, everything about it. When I first started getting recruited, back in freshman, sophomore year, I was saying how I would want to go to a Florida school and now that I actually have the opportunity to do it, I’m thinking about Florida again.”

What makes Adams interested in attending Miami specifically?

“Just the Miami history of ‘the U’, all the history of the championships, and Ray Lewis is my favorite NFL player,” Adams said.

In terms of upcoming visits aside from Miami, Adams already has a few programs in mind. In particular, he wants to take an entire Florida tour of each Big 3 school in the Sunshine State.

“I’m probably going to get down and see Florida, Florida State. I just saw NC State this past Friday,” Adams says. “I’m definitely going to get to LSU. That’s about it for right now.”

I addition to the above programs, Adams says Penn State and West Virginia are others that are contacting him regularly. However, the 6’4” 315 pound prospect says that those schools are not his top group and that he is still figuring out which programs might be the best fit for him.

“I don’t have a top group. I’m still getting offers and evaluating schools,” Adams said. “I’ll probably sit down and narrow it down soon, though. Right now, I’m thinking about summer for a decision.”

Although a final decision is still a few months out, it’s clear Adams already knows what he is looking for in a program that will make it stand out.

“Location doesn’t really matter for me, I’m just trying to find a place that I can call home, that has a good program, and somewhere I can get a good degree,” Adams says. “Hopefully a place that can help me go to the draft, and if not, have a good life outside of football.”

As a junior, Adams had a successful season as an individual, but his team was not so lucky, just missing out on the playoffs. For his final season of high school, Adams is using the off-season to make sure Woodbridge is back in the conversation for a state title.

“Me as a person, I had a good season, but as a team, we could’ve done better. We just going to work together and we going to do better than we did last year.”

Advertisement
Great interview Stefan. Wonder what position he wants to play at the next level. He looks like a Guard but I could see him losing a couple lbs and becoming a nice size tackle. Hopefully him and Antoine visit this month comes to fruition..we need to roll out the red carpet for both of them.

Wow... Woodbridge has been producing some prospects. Sampah and this kid and I recall another kid kid or 2, one that played defense and may have went to F$U.

If you don't know the area, Woodbridge is Prince William County by Potomac Mills Mall off of 95. It's in between the DC Beltway (495) and Fredericksburg before you hit Quantico if you are heading south on 95.

Advertisement
Great interview Stefan. Wonder what position he wants to play at the next level. He looks like a Guard but I could see him losing a couple lbs and becoming a nice size tackle. Hopefully him and Antoine visit this month comes to fruition..we need to roll out the red carpet for both of them.

He said UM is looking at him as a guard

All I saw was a kid who pancaked the defensive player he was blocking. While my recruiting chicks are limited he does appear, as others have said, to be a G at the collegiate level. Hopefully we’re recruiting T’s are proficiently as we have been G’s as of late. Lord knows we need some good ones to protect the QB’s blindside.

Advertisement
Per source close to the recruitment, Adams (recent Penn State decommit) is calling around to set up official visits and Miami is one school he is will be in contact with. Adams first visited UM in the spring. Will update if a visit ends up getting set here.

**** good news

Wow... Woodbridge has been producing some prospects. Sampah and this kid and I recall another kid kid or 2, one that played defense and may have went to F$U.

If you don't know the area, Woodbridge is Prince William County by Potomac Mills Mall off of 95. It's in between the DC Beltway (495) and Fredericksburg before you hit Quantico if you are heading south on 95.

I guess I didn't post earlier in this thread: we've had at least one, and maybe several players from Woodbridge.

Tim Flanagan was a DE around 1980 and was quite a hitter for us.

I think we had one or two others from that area back then. Since then, we might not have looked hard at that area. When JJ came in, some of our attention shifted from the northeast to Texas. This what coaches do--they recruit areas they know.

So, it's not unknown for Woodbridge kids to play at Miami.

Funny you mention Potomac Mills, one of the guys who played a role in developing that mall in the '80's was a very devoted UM alum, Stacey Hornstein, who worked at Western Development at the time. Haven't seen him in 30 years. Western Development was headquartered in Georgetown but Potomac Mills was one of their big ones.

Advertisement
I guess I didn't post earlier in this thread: we've had at least one, and maybe several players from Woodbridge.

I think we had one or two others from that area back then. Since then, we might not have looked hard at that area. When JJ came in, some of our attention shifted from the northeast to Texas. This what coaches do--they recruit areas they know.

You know the area. It’s exurban Metro DC.

Funny you mention Potomac Mills, one of the guys who played a role in developing that mall in the '80's was a very devoted UM alum, Stacey Hornstein, who worked at Western Development at the time. Haven't seen him in 30 years. Western Development was headquartered in Georgetown but Potomac Mills was one of their big ones.

Figurerra (spelling sorry) lived right by there. Grew up in Stafford

Advertisement

Just poking fun, but if you don't know the area, what does any of this mean?

Advertisement
Back