2024 Adarius Hayes LB Largo OV this weekend

If you look at Mario at Oregon, he signed several 3 stars lower ranked kids that panned out.

D.J. James is getting too 100 pick buzz at Auburn after signing and playing at Oregon out of high school.

Alex Forsyth-made 53 man roster

T.J. Bass-made 53 man roster

Also Trey Benson was a 3 star composite RB, that Mario plucked out of Mississippi. He is one of the elite RBs in America now, and could be another top 100 pick.

You're giving Mario credit for evaluating Benson out of HS, while ignoring the fact he didn’t bring Benson with him to UM? And instead, he brought the likes of Denis and Sagapolu (a 3* OL that didn't pan out, BTW).

Advertisement
Got it. So you think Mario is an exception to the trends that started over a decade ago where only he knows the best 3-stars and the other coaches around America/recruiting services are too stupid to realize their skill. You also had to include two portal guys who had already excelled at their previous stop, and because of their low star rating, ended up at Wazzu and Vanderbilt out of high school. It’s mathematically proven more blue chips = more wins and more NFL picks, but I guess this is the spin we’ll go with IF we don’t improve the class.

Holy delusion, enjoy your Friday.
No, I even put that he recruited Justin flowe and look where he’s at. It’s a crapshoot man. Kids look good on tape and that’s all I care about and I’m not losing any sleep over it.

A transfer portal evaluation is still an evaluation. And most transfer portal guys don’t pan out either.

I haven’t heard about Jacori Brooks in forever likely hurt but mostly MIA. And the other five star from last year that FSU landed hasn’t even seen the field.
Like I said, I agree with everybody on here that it’s great to get more five stars.

It would be one thing if I could see a huge difference in someone’s tape from a three star to a five star. But with some of the dudes that were recruiting I just don’t see it. Most of the time you do see it.

But I believe there’s a lot of conformational bias when you see a three star and then you look at the tape and you start asking about competition, how come nobody’s recruiting him, and we get all picky instead of just looking at the tape.

The problem with five stars is that they can only give out so many and the problem with three stars is they give a bunch of them like it’s water. So it’s hard to sift through crappy players and some will fall between the cracks and end up a hall of famer. Still doesn’t mean you can recruit only 3 stars and expect to only find diamonds.

There’s also frontrunner bias when somebody commits to a team like Alabama. Jeudy did not get a fifth star until he committed to Bama and the same thing with Jacori Brooks.

So a lot of these five stars were evaluated, and didn’t actually receive a fifth or even a 5th star until they committed to a certain team.

So yeah, I’ll bet my chances with an evaluation by Mario over an evaluation by Manny Diaz. Doesn’t mean he’s gonna be right all the time. And Saban isn’t right every time he gets a 5 star player either.
But he’s recruited so many that nobody gives a sht when he misses.

Also, there’s only 32 five stars each year and they’re not all in the same position. And they’re getting grabed up by all the top teams. So let’s say you take five teams that are gobbling up all the five stars and they spread out about five each. Not counting the occasional 5 star that goes to Mizzou for example.
Now you take into consideration the fact that there’s a 50% bust rate.
So about 2.5 guys out of your entire class that are a sure thing going to the NFL draft.

But that’s not the way they actually do it. Most of the time these teams are being successful cause you’re recruiting high-quality players, regardless of stars.
And the 3 stars get bumps when they commit to frontrunners.

We landed Bell who dropped to a 4 star when he committed.
I guarantee you that both Pruitt and Riley would Get huge bumps if they were committed to the home team.

So again, your right, more 5 stars is better. But in our situation I’m not worried (for now).

Nothing wrong with disagreeing. But you still can’t predict who’s gonna pan out even if they’re number one rated at their position and that was the original point of this conversation.

You’re a legend on here, but talking ourselves into 3 stars has been our m.o. for 15 years.
No. Actually it hasn't. Larry,onion & alfraud were just like you all too in believing some websites evaluations had more merit than or own staffs as well. They targeted all highly ranked kids and then usually missed and had no back up plans... Manny just went after system fits no matter what they were ranked. This is very different the things that's are going on now. But our fans are emotional & they would love to assume they know what's better for our program from the comfort of their couches while they scarf down hungryman tv dinners, than our own highly paid staff... People on here are just hypocrites. If it's always gonna be what have they done for us lately then when are fans gonna pull their own weight? Is this game tomorrow at noon against the #9 team in the country gonna be packed so we can show all these highly ranked recruits how our fans are supportive? **** no it's not. It's gonna be probably 20k fans maybe 30 and booing half the time as well. But hey so long as they dance and throw up their u on the jumbotron it's a great experience. It's sad how all these great fans have such opinions about what's going on INSIDE this private university program, yet arguably the biggest negative opposing coaches come at us with(empty stands) in recruiting they can directly do something about, yet choose not too. So pardon me when everyone's got such opinions. But I say **** em unless they can do their parts too.

You’re a legend on here, but talking ourselves into 3 stars has been our m.o. for 15 years.
And taking it one step further, I REALLY never understand the constant ever evolving narrative about highly ranked recruits on here anyhow. #1 this program has NEVER been about highly ranked recruits. #2 when we get them, our own fans then immediately start to **** on them & say yeah but they're not as good as such & such recruits anyhow. Nothing is ever enough.

Line up Mario’s best players with their recruiting rankings and then come talk to me.

By the way, it’s not just Mario. Kirby Smart, Nick Saban, Urban Meyer…they all figured out it’s just a lot easier to get really good players. That’s the entire selling point of Mario. He’s not going to outcoach and outdevelop.
So you're saying Mario doesn't develop either?

Advertisement
No. Actually it hasn't. Larry,onion & alfraud were just like you all too in believing some websites evaluations had more merit than or own staffs as well. They targeted all highly ranked kids and then usually missed and had no back up plans... Manny just went after system fits no matter what they were ranked. This is very different the things that's are going on now. But our fans are emotional & they would love to assume they know what's better for our program from the comfort of their couches while they scarf down hungryman tv dinners, than our own highly paid staff... People on here are just hypocrites. If it's always gonna be what have they done for us lately then when are fans gonna pull their own weight? Is this game tomorrow at noon against the #9 team in the country gonna be packed so we can show all these highly ranked recruits how our fans are supportive? **** no it's not. It's gonna be probably 20k fans maybe 30 and booing half the time as well. But hey so long as they dance and throw up their u on the jumbotron it's a great experience. It's sad how all these great fans have such opinions about what's going on INSIDE this private university program, yet arguably the biggest negative opposing coaches come at us with(empty stands) in recruiting they can directly do something about, yet choose not too. So pardon me when everyone's got such opinions. But I say **** em unless they can do their parts too.
Miserable sonsabitches gonna be miserable sonsabitches - respect for you still sticking around CIS.

"yet arguably the biggest negative opposing coaches come at us with(empty stands) in recruiting they can directly do something about, yet choose not too."

100%. This is not about Mario. This has been true forever. This fan base doesn't deserve ****. That's true regardless of how you feel about the coach and the administration.
G5 fan base at best demanding playoff results while never even remotely holding up its end of the deal.

I don't think this class is close to last year's however Goldens best class had 6 top 247 players. We currently have 9 and a top 4 Juco.
I’m not necessarily hating or downing the class. Just more of I would expect a class similar to this from those guys. I’m not naive enough to think Mario is gonna land everybody. But no upper echelon DTs, CBs? That’s not ideal. Maybe I’m wrong and some of these under the radar guys pan out. It’s just I’ve seen this song and dance before and it ends the same.

I try to break it down into its most simplistic form.

I think we can all agree Mario Cristobal isn’t going to out-coach anyone regarding X’s and O’s. I’m not even considering self-inflicted issues like poor timeout usage, lack of urgency on offense when trailing / under 2 min, the thing he did against GT that doesn’t need to be brought up again, etc. Just from a schematic standpoint, that’s not who he is. Doesn’t mean we can’t win with him at HC.

Ok, so if he’s not too bright with the X’s and O’s, how does he win games? Acquiring talent, and usually has an emphatic advantage over his opponents. That’s why I care about recruiting so much, because it’s the one area he was brought in to see consistent improvement. Elevate the talent in each and every room, sign stars, naturally win more games (even if it means losing 2-3 inexplicable ones), and become relevant on a yearly basis again. I’m not even talking playoffs, I just want 9-3 or 10-2 right now.

He did it last class, and it’s already paying off with guys like Bain, Francis, Fletcher and Damari. They were all Top175 guys. We had the 7th-ranked class and an average rating per recruit at 91.78, good for 6th. That’s a **** good class, and elevates the whole team substantially. A lot of positions got better talent, which is what he needs.

Now this current class (same amount of kids committed btw as last year), this current class is 11th overall, 19th per recruit (89.71 average rating). Contextually, no Top 15 class in 2023 finished below a 90 average.

That FSU high school class everyone likes to rag on for being trash…well I agree it was. They finished 19th overall and 89.81 average rating per recruit…so what does that make our current class? Are you going to tell me that ours isn’t theirs because they don’t have Alonso? Yeah…ok.

We are quickly finding out that no recruiting savant can consistently out-perform their performance on the field. He did it last year, he ain’t this year.

That’s why we aren’t seeing more whales jumping onboard. They’re cautious because they don’t fully believe in the product he’s selling. We have to win tomorrow.
At the start of this season, You had Miami at 9-3 or 10-2 to finish the season?

Advertisement
11 isn’t bad to me if it’s the right kind of 11 that addresses current weakness on our team + is a proper balance of instant-impact and high ceiling developmental guys.

Outside the Top 15 for average rating per recruit would be, personally. As of right now, we’re 19th. That’s disgusting lol. I’ll have to check the numbers but that sounds like Manny/Golden level.

One month to trim some fat and/or sign some studs. Winning tomorrow would go a looooooong way towards that goal.
How exactly is 19th (out of 132) disgusting for a program flirting with .500 since these kids were born? What is it about us that screams top 5 elite destination? These guys are killing it in recruiting & You are keeping an unrealistic outlook. So many UM fans have this undeserved entitlement I just don't understand.

Many of the three stars we have committed have awfully strong offer sheets which I care about more than stars.

What fat would you cut specifically?

This class just continues to be a nothingburger.

As it stands we are staring down the barrel of 6-6 and missed on the top guy on our board at:

QB - Noland
WR - Smith
TE - Lofton
OL - Baker / Ahfua
DE - Stewart
DT - Stone / Breland
LB - Hayes
CB - Robinson (although he seems like he'll string us along for a while)

FIFY

How exactly is 19th (out of 132) disgusting for a program flirting with .500 since these kids were born? What is it about us that screams top 5 elite destination? These guys are killing it in recruiting & You are keeping an unrealistic outlook. So many UM fans have this undeserved entitlement I just don't understand.

Many of the three stars we have committed have awfully strong offer sheets which I care about more than stars.

What fat would you cut specifically?
Miami has to win games, until they do that the majority of elite/top recruits will go elsewhere. Winning has & will always get results

Advertisement
IMG_3275.gif

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back