ACCT Game 2 vs. Clemson

Advertisement
Morris is proving how washed he is tonight. Monte went to the bullpen and Morris didn’t. That’s the difference. Just doesn’t understand the game anymore.

Advertisement
Canes fall 7-1 to Clemson to end the season. The season felt like a lot like a remake of last season’s bad movie. That said, I think there’s more reason for optimism than a year ago with a decent young core returning (quite a few of which are slated to play on the Cape this summer).

DiMare is still far from my choice to be the next coach but it is what it is. The biggest development in the next month will be who he hires to replace himself as an assistant. Hopefully we don’t do it on the cheap and promote Lopez.

Canes fall 7-1 to Clemson to end the season. The season felt like a lot like a remake of last season’s bad movie. That said, I think there’s more reason for optimism than a year ago with a decent young core returning (quite a few of which are slated to play on the Cape this summer).

DiMare is still far from my choice to be the next coach but it is what it is. The biggest development in the next month will be who he hires to replace himself as an assistant. Hopefully we don’t do it on the cheap and promote Lopez.

Do you happen to have the list for Summer ball? Will be good for the freshman to get some ABs against quality competition and swinging wood bats.

Gino has his work cut out for him. Clemson was much better than us, and it wasn't that long ago we dominated them. Their position players hit for average AND power. Unless Toral does a complete 180 his sophomore year, where's our power going to come from?

He had better hit the ground running on the recruiting trail and hire a good hitting coach soon (and give JD a raise), and hope our pitching continues to be strong.

Advertisement
Gino has his work cut out for him. Clemson was much better than us, and it wasn't that long ago we dominated them. Their position players hit for average AND power. Unless Toral does a complete 180 his sophomore year, where's our power going to come from?

I don't think it's unreasonable to think Gil hits 8-10 homeruns next year. He hit 3 this year while struggling most of the year. That homerun off the top of the scoreboard in Tallahassee was impressive. You probably squeeze an extra couple homeruns each out of Zamora, Escala, and maybe Quinones with a year in the weightroom (and Escala striking out less). Those last three don't really fix the problem though. As you said though whether we improve in the homerun deparment comes down to Toral and I'd also add Rivera. Also need to see whether we get Del Castillo. The Baseball America scouting report says he has decent power. I think we're improved offensively next year by being more mature and efficient at the plate. We return our top 5 hitters in OBP (Reyes is 6th despite leading the team in BA) it's just a matter of actually bringing them home.

Defense should be improved also for the same reason. Pitching is my big question mark. I think we'll be okay starting wise with McKendry, McMahon, and Veliz (if he stays) or Federman (if he doesn't) on weekends. The bullpen is a rebuild though. Hopefully the draft is kind.

Do you happen to have the list for Summer ball? Will be good for the freshman to get some ABs against quality competition and swinging wood bats.
It's usually a matter of me manually compiling one over time (if someone has a list feel free to post). So far I have: Gil and Rivera (Harwich-Cape), Toral and Zamora (Chatham-Cape). Whether they all show up there who knows, but that's where they've signed. I'll probably start a Summer Ball thread in the next couple weeks once most leagues post their official rosters.

I don't think it's unreasonable to think Gil hits 8-10 homeruns next year. He hit 3 this year while struggling most of the year. That homerun off the top of the scoreboard in Tallahassee was impressive. You probably squeeze an extra couple homeruns each out of Zamora, Escala, and maybe Quinones with a year in the weightroom (and Escala striking out less). Those last three don't really fix the problem though. As you said though whether we improve in the homerun deparment comes down to Toral and I'd also add Rivera. Also need to see whether we get Del Castillo. The Baseball America scouting report says he has decent power. I think we're improved offensively next year by being more mature and efficient at the plate. We return our top 5 hitters in OBP (Reyes is 6th despite leading the team in BA) it's just a matter of actually bringing them home.

Defense should be improved also for the same reason. Pitching is my big question mark. I think we'll be okay starting wise with McKendry, McMahon, and Veliz (if he stays) or Federman (if he doesn't) on weekends. The bullpen is a rebuild though. Hopefully the draft is kind.

Hope you are right about Gil, but I'll be surprised. Abreu only hit 6 his sophomore year, and he has a lot more pop than Gil IMO. I forgot about Rivera - he has potential if he can make consistent contact. Bullpen will be a work in progress.

Maybe Bartow comes back if he goes really late? I thought guys that throw mid 90's usually got decent bonus money.

Hope you are right about Gil, but I'll be surprised. Abreu only hit 6 his sophomore year, and he has a lot more pop than Gil IMO. I forgot about Rivera - he has potential if he can make consistent contact. Bullpen will be a work in progress.

Maybe Bartow comes back if he goes really late? I thought guys that throw mid 90's usually got decent bonus money.

DiMare has to hire a real hitting coach from outside the program. I’ve never seen so many center cut fastballs get fouled off or missed in my life. And to the point about power and style of play, you don’t have to hit 40 homers as a team. Between Zamora, Escala, and Jenkins they should steal at the very minimum 50 bases. That’s what you have to do when you don’t hit a lot of doubles and homers. Good coaches adjust their style to their team not the other way around.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back