ACC Tie Breaker?

Advertisement
This is an altered version of the tie-breaker rules as they read now. It could be as simple as this
(I removed the steps that don't apply):

Two-Team Tie:
1. Head-to-head competition between the two tied teams.
3. Head-to-head competition versus the team within the division with the best overall win percentage .
7. The tied team with the higher ranking by the Team Rating Score metric provided by SportSource Analytics following the conclusion of regular season games.
8. The representative shall be chosen by a draw as administered by the Commissioner or the Commissioner’s designee.

Three-Team (or More) Team Tie:
(Once a team is eliminated from the tie, the tie-breaker procedures restart for the remaining teams. If the three (or more) team tie can be reduced to two teams, the two-team tiebreaker format
will then be applied.)

1. Combined head-to-head win percentage among the tied teams.
3. Head-to-head competition versus the team within the division with the best overall Conference win percentage.
7. The tied team with the higher ranking by the Team Rating Score metric provided by SportSource Analytics following the conclusion of regular season games.
8. The representative shall be chosen by a draw as administered by the Commissioner or the Commissioner’s designee.

Last edited:
It goes by winning percentage so 8-1 would move through.
That would be the thought but to me that’s some ****. For example, if we went 9-2 and beat UNC but they play 2 less games and finish 8-1 they would go over us.

Guess we will see how it all plays out, could be bad. Kinda sounds like they should have done something along the lines of if a team has the higher winning percentage but didn’t play as many games as the next team, default to rankings.

Last edited:
Head to head will always be the deciding factor between 2 teams. But obviously they have to play each other.

If 2 teams are tied (yes, winning percentage will decide if a team is tied or not), it most likely will go to record vs common opponents.

Let’s just play 11 games. I’d be really surprised if we do, but if so, let’s do that and we’ll see how things stack up. It’s not like this is going to get any better. There are certainly going to be more postponements and cancellations.

Advertisement
So just like every other division 1 college football season in the history of the game, a lot of bullshvt with respect to the rankings and "playoff"

Just win your games. No way of telling what the ACC or college football will look like at the end of season, so rankings and tie-breaker stuff may be crazy. Teams may end up playing more games than other teams, even within the same conference.

Advertisement
Just gotta hope we win out other than Clemson and lame loses to unc and then we beat unc. Rematch with Clemson could be rough but idc

Bump. Thanks to @NJshoreCane for the research in post #22.

Based on that, assuming both the Canes and domers win out and both lose to Clemson, it will come down to who plays Clemson the closest. We play Clemson on the road but have a bye week prior. The domers get Clemson at home.

Lots of ball left to be played aside from the Clemson game but this is a good bye week discussion. :adoration:

EdIT. Just noticed BC ranked ahead of vatech but you get the gist. We need vatech to keep winning and bc to lose. .

Bumping this thread to say as of now, the way I read the tie break, we would be in assuming the following:
-We win out
-ND loses to Clemson but wins the rest

In this scenario it goes head to head against next highest ranked opponent. So we would have both lost to Clemson and beat UNC. Next highest team today is va tech which we would have beat and they don't play. We would be in as of today. This tells me we need to route for vtech here on out and take care of our own business and hope ND loses to Clemson.

EdIT. Just noticed BC ranked ahead of vatech but you get the gist. We need vatech to keep winning and bc to lose. .

Bumping this thread to say as of now, the way I read the tie break, we would be in assuming the following:
-We win out
-ND loses to Clemson but wins the rest

In this scenario it goes head to head against next highest ranked opponent. So we would have both lost to Clemson and beat UNC. Next highest team today is va tech which we would have beat and they don't play. We would be in as of today. This tells me we need to route for vtech here on out and take care of our own business and hope ND loses to Clemson.

I don't think that's the way it works.

If Miami wins out, and is tied with just ONE team, there are two possibilities:

1. ND beat Clemson and does not lose again. Miami is tied for 2nd with Clemson with 1 loss apiece. Clemson plays ND in the ACC-CG.
2. Clemson beat ND and does not lose again. Miami is tied for 2nd with ND, and Tiebreaker #7 is used.

Here's the reason for #2. Since there was no head-to-head, you look at common opponents. In that scenario, UM and ND both lost to Clemson, and both teams beat any other common opponent (I don't believe you are comparing head-to-head vs. opponents that only 1 of the 2 teams played, but if I'm wrong, I'm wrong).

ND is 5-0 with 6 remaining games (including the flex weekend of December 12).

Miami is 5-1 with 5 remaining games (and no game currently scheduled for December 12).

Every outbreak-free week that passes makes it more likely that we will play all of our remaining games, and that neither team would gain an advantage based on winning percentage.

ND has 6 games against opponents with an average winning percentage of .588 and Miami has 5 games against opponents with an average winning percentage of .593. We play three common opponents on the remaining schedule.

UM and ND play 7 common opponents, and I am operating under the assumption that we will both have our one loss against Clemson. The "uncommon" opponents are NC State, UVa, and VaTech for Miami, and BC, Duke, and Syracuse for Notre Dame. If one of the tiebreakers is to look at how each team does against the highest remaining ACC team, I would point out that NC State is 4-2 and BC is 4-2. For now.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I don't think that's the way it works.

If Miami wins out, and is tied with just ONE team, there are two possibilities:

1. ND beat Clemson and does not lose again. Miami is tied for 2nd with Clemson with 1 loss apiece. Clemson plays ND in the ACC-CG.
2. Clemson beat ND and does not lose again. Miami is tied for 2nd with ND, and Tiebreaker #7 is used.

Here's the reason for #2. Since there was no head-to-head, you look at common opponents. In that scenario, UM and ND both lost to Clemson, and both teams beat any other common opponent (I don't believe you are comparing head-to-head vs. opponents that only 1 of the 2 teams played, but if I'm wrong, I'm wrong).

ND is 5-0 with 6 remaining games (including the flex weekend of December 12).

Miami is 5-1 with 5 remaining games (and no game currently scheduled for December 12).

Every outbreak-free week that passes makes it more likely that we will play all of our remaining games, and that neither team would gain an advantage based on winning percentage.

ND has 6 games against opponents with an average winning percentage of .588 and Miami has 5 games against opponents with an average winning percentage of .593. We play three common opponents on the remaining schedule.

UM and ND play 7 common opponents, and I am operating under the assumption that we will both have our one loss against Clemson. The "uncommon" opponents are NC State, UVa, and VaTech for Miami, and BC, Duke, and Syracuse for Notre Dame. If one of the tiebreakers is to look at how each team does against the highest remaining ACC team, I would point out that NC State is 4-2 and BC is 4-2. For now.
Yep my scenario says the highest acc winning non common opponent determines the tie break. What is your conclusion under your scenario? We in if winning percentages hold? I'm just trying to figure out who to pull for remainder of the year assuming we keep winning.

TrumpyCane would love TL less Clemson losing to BC/Clemson back to back weeks and we play Notre Dame

Advertisement
Yep my scenario says the highest acc winning non common opponent determines the tie break. What is your conclusion under your scenario? We in if winning percentages hold? I'm just trying to figure out who to pull for remainder of the year assuming we keep winning.

Yeah, it's bizarre as ****.

After I posted, I had to think about it. In one scenario, you might think "common opponent", and, hey, maybe one team only lost to (say) GaTech, who is a common opponent, while one team only lost to Clemson, another common opponent. In that case, I could see giving the edge to the team who lost to Clemson.

Then I thought about the "uncommon opponent" situation, where you could say "yeah, but Miami beat VaTech, the very best uncommon opponent that either team played", and I could see that method having some merit too (particularly when we play 7 common opponents).

If it is the "uncommon opponent" that will be the determinant, then I'd say we have to root for either NC State (4-2) or VaTech (3-2) (Miami opponents) to have better records than BC (4-2) (Notre Dame opponent). ND's other "uncommon opponents" are Syracuse and Duke, who have 1 win apiece right now. RIGHT NOW, with NCS and BC both 4-2, we would flip down to Tiebreaker #7, I believe.

That's why it's too early to tell, because nearly every remaining game is a conference game and there is going to be bloodshed. I don't think we'll have a great idea until Thanksgiving. I'm still rooting for BC to gain some confidence against Lawrence-less Clemson and then maybe they can knock off ND.

Advertisement
Back