ACC Scheduling...9-game or 8+2 model?

I wish they just dissolved all conferences and forced everybody to play as an independent. How and why did they come up with the idiotic conference idea anyway?

Advertisement
I am all in favor of the old way, anyone anytime. We have to play the old way too, for that to work. Before it made teams duck us for fear. In the playoff system, other team might see more value in playing a resurgent Miami. FSU's entire success was based on LOSING close to THE U. It made them famous long before they actually won anything. A close lost to an old Miami team, will be like beating half the SEC on one day. But we will need to crush Bama's little trunk in a head to head first.

Every P5 conference should have to play 9 games.

Then every P5 conference should, at a minimum, play another P5 OOC opponent.

Remember when pundits were saying the Playoffs wouldnt work and it would ruin the history and pageantry of the Bowls. Yeah...that didnt happen.

Advertisement
I hate it but under the current Playoff system I don't believe that the risk/reward of playing a legit OOC schedule is worth it (not that the $EC hasn't believed this for the last 20+ years). If we went to an 8 team Playoff with 3 at large spots (5 auto bids for conf champs w/ perhaps some restrictions) then you'd massively increase the motivation to put together strong overall schedules as the committee would probably actually not only pay lip service to the notion for spots 6,7 & 8.

Frigging SEC gets to count an conference loss as a OCC win.

Yep. This is the real "rigged" system in America. The entire conference starts the year ranked therefore there are no bad losses- only good wins and it sustains the false perception of superiority all year as the media (motivated either by own self-interests or lazy group think) slurps it up and promulgates the nonsense.

Yep. A 1 loss Miami team isn't getting into the playoff anytime soon (coastal division sucks etc). Sadly the incentive is to play **** teams.

I hope we stick to our old model though and play good OOC schedules. 1) it prepares you for tough games, and 2) it's good for recruiting/fans

With the playoffs, we have to play good opponents if we want to be taken serious. This is the advantage the SEC has on everyone. If they lose one, they are not completely out of it because they play many ranked teams. Playing cupcakes isn't Miami Hurricanes Football and it isn't smart if we want to compete.

They play so many "ranked" teams b/c they overrate each member of the SEC every year...so when there's a bunch of inbreeding going on, yes, this is what happens; it makes it appear they're are no bad losses.

Frigging SEC gets to count an conference loss as a OCC win.

Yep. This is the real "rigged" system in America. The entire conference starts the year ranked therefore there are no bad losses- only good wins and it sustains the false perception of superiority all year as the media (motivated either by own self-interests or lazy group think) slurps it up and promulgates the nonsense.

Yep. A 1 loss Miami team isn't getting into the playoff anytime soon (coastal division sucks etc). Sadly the incentive is to play **** teams.

I hope we stick to our old model though and play good OOC schedules. 1) it prepares you for tough games, and 2) it's good for recruiting/fans

With the playoffs, we have to play good opponents if we want to be taken serious. This is the advantage the SEC has on everyone. If they lose one, they are not completely out of it because they play many ranked teams. Playing cupcakes isn't Miami Hurricanes Football and it isn't smart if we want to compete.

They play so many "ranked" teams b/c they overrate each member of the SEC every year...so when there's a bunch of inbreeding going on, yes, this is what happens; it makes it appear they're are no bad losses.

Whether they're overrated or not is not the point. It's us scheduling games vs. Toledo that is my concern. That's not going to cut it if we have a 1 loss game.

Advertisement

Whether they're overrated or not is not the point. It's us scheduling games vs. Toledo that is my concern. That's not going to cut it if we have a 1 loss game.

SEC teams do this as well; I don't think ur understanding that the advantage the SEC has is that it beats up on each other and they have about 6-7 teams vastly overrated in the top 25. So it appears their SOS is strong.

Our out of conference game against ND was supposed to be against a top 15 opponent, but unfortunately ND crapped the bed this year. No one talks about Bama playing Western KY, Chattanooga, and Kent State, do they? No, b/c, on paper, Bama's SOS looks great b/c dang near every other opponent on their schedule w/in the SEC is or has been ranked in the top 25; therefore, if they lose, it's not a bad loss.

I don't wanna hear about how the SEC do things ever again. [MENTION=8538]TadFoote[/MENTION]ball said it best, it's a rigged system. All we have to do is play who's on our schedule and win, period.

Last edited:
"Lower" teams out west would be good ones to play too, like BYU, San Diego State, Fresno State, even Boise State. Utah, USC, Colorado, Oregon would be good P5 teams out in this neck of the woods.

I dont like how all the pundits said App State was such a good team when Tennessee just barely beat them, and then when we demolish them they aren't that good.

They need to move to an 8 team play-off schedule immediately. Have P5 winners and 3 at large. That will solve most of the arguments around ranking biases.

Advertisement
I dont like how all the pundits said App State was such a good team when Tennessee just barely beat them, and then when we demolish them they aren't that good.

The pundits are dumb. App State isn't good and many of us said it before the game.

They need to move to an 8 team play-off schedule immediately. Have P5 winners and 3 at large. That will solve most of the arguments around ranking biases.

I agree. Below is an old post I had.

4 teams [in reference to the current system]. 4 teams makes no sense. At best, one conference champion gets snubbed and that is at best. It should be 8 teams with 5/8 winning their conference championship. If 5/8 are tied to conference championships, you FULLY remove the human element from 63% of the playoff.

3/8 teams will need to be playoff eligible (12 games, 7 at most at home, required to play 8 conference games and 2 BCS/P5 non-conference games). The 3 best non-conference champions go to the playoffs (at most 2 per conference).

To Review:

- 8 team playoff
- 5 teams come from the conference championships (ACC, Big 10, Big 12, PAC 12 and SEC)
- 3 At-Large Teams
- 2 Maximum Teams Per Conference
- Independents are not eligible

To be eligible to make the playoff tournament, you will need to do the following:

- 12 Regular Season Games
- A team must play 5 games on the road (no neutral BS can count) and 1/5 must be out of conference
- A team must schedule 2 of their 4 OOC games against BCS/P5 conference schools
- A team may schedule the other 2 OOC games against anyone

Use the BCS Poll to determine the other 3 Best Teams (remember 5 teams come from conf. champs):

- SOS
- Record
- RPI

-----

If you switch it to 9 games in conference, you drop a non-P5 game.

Another rule to float is that you must make your conference championship to be considered for an At-Large bid.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back