Acc Reg Season Tiebreaker

theu51

Redshirt Freshman
Why on ESPN is Vatech above us, shouldn't we be ahead of them? I'm worried we will get the 8 or 9, want to avoid that

Advertisement
If this team soul searches, they can be really good. Murphy gets it, he comes to play every game. Reed gets it, he should man on man immediately when an opponent starts to hurt you. Recruiting wise, Newton was a gift to us (great driver to hoops particularly on right side) but he is approaching, (although maybe here already), liability status. Sheldon drove to basket but he also consistently hit easy inside the key shots. Newton stopped taking them, and isn't consistent when he does. Lacking confidence in that he continues to force the issue. His strategy isn't working numbers wise. I expect others will see more playing time in the next few games.

ACC Men's Basketball Tiebreaker: Rules and procedures for determining tournament seeds | syracuse.com

Here is my interpretation, it may be wrong.

2 Teams Tied:

If we tie with VT, then we would get a better seed because we have a better record against the top dog (UNC).

If we tie with UVA, then we would get a better seed because we have a better record head to head.

3 Teams Tied:

If we all tie (UVA, VT and Miami), then you compare the records of the three teams against each other.

Miami (2-1)

UVA (1-2)

VT (2-2)

Miami would get the nod.

Please note: Miami has the only road game left and it is the most difficult opponent (FSU). VT plays WF. UVA pays Pitt.

I think if we win, the worst we could do (4 way tie between UVA, VT, Miami and FSU) is the 6th seed.

------------------------------

If there is a 3 way tie between Miami, Duke and FSU.

Miami (2-2)

Duke (2-2)

FSU (2-2)

Then it goes to record against UNC (top team).

Miami (1-0)

Duke (1-1)

FSU (0-1)

----------------------

Obviously we want to beat FSU but if VT, Duke and UVA lose, it gets very interesting.

Last edited:
So does this mean that if we beat FSU and Duke loses to NC on Saturday that we will end up seeded 4th and get a double bye??!!!!

Advertisement
If we are interpreting the rules correctly, after Saturday we can finish as high as a 4 seed:

Miami over FSU
Wake Forest over Virginia Tech
NC over Duke

Or as low as a 9th seed:

FSU over Miami
Virginia Tech over Wake Forest
Virginia over Pittsburgh
Syracuse over Georgia Tech

One day's action will determine whether we equal preseason expectations (9th seed) or far exceed them.

A victory over FSU at FSU, which we have done before, means either a 4 seed (Virginia tech loses to WF) or a 5 seed (Virginia tech defeats WF). A loss drastically affects our tournament (and likely NCAA) seeding.

After the blocked extra point in football I think we are due for some good luck!

Go Canes!!!!

Full slate of Saturday's games:

Saturday.jpg
Atlantic Coast Conference Schedule - College Basketball - ESPN

Last edited:
If we are interpreting the rules correctly, after Saturday we can finish as high as a 4 seed:

Miami over FSU
Wake Forest over Virginia Tech
NC over Duke

Or as low as a 9th seed:

FSU over Miami
Virginia Tech over Wake Forest
Virginia over Pittsburgh
Syracuse over Georgia Tech

One day's action will determine whether we equal preseason expectations (9th seed) or far exceed them.

A victory over FSU at FSU, which we have done before, means either a 4 seed (Virginia tech loses to WF) or a 5 seed (Virginia tech defeats WF). A loss drastically affects our tournament (and likely NCAA) seeding.

After the blocked extra point in football I think we are due for some good luck!

Go Canes!!!!

Full slate of Saturday's games:

View attachment 43314
Atlantic Coast Conference Schedule - College Basketball - ESPN

Craziness if it is a 5 way tie.

If that is the case, I think it would work out as follows:

4th Seed: FSU
5th Seed: Miami
6th Seed: Duke
7th Seed: VT or UVA
8th Seed: UVA or VT

I think this depends if once a team with the highest combined record is seeded. Do you remove them and rerun it?

Last edited:
I didn't include Duke because VT is the key if we beat FSU. If VT wins then we are 5th with a Duke loss to NC. If VT loses then we are 4th with a Duke loss to NC. If we are interpreting the rules correctly our better record against NC gives us the tiebreaker over Duke.

Advertisement
Yeah it's why that game at VT, which was winnable, was a big deal.

The fsu game at FSU is much tougher, probably not winnable.

The VT loss sent Miami from a solid 6th seed in ACC, to a 9th.

Meaning we play Cuse and UNC back.

Also we may have gotten a 7th seed in the NCAA had we won at VT.

It was a really big game.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back