ACC Opener- Georgia Tech Game One

Lance Roffers

Junior
Miami opens ACC play with a home series against Georgia Tech this weekend and it should be a nice test for the young Canes. Georgia Tech is currently 8-4 on the season, with a loss in a series against UCLA being their biggest test to date.

Georgia Tech
Offensively, they have a team wOBA of 0.331, which is below the league average of 0.359. On the pitching side, they currently have a 3.38 ERA and 3.41 team FIP. This is roughly league average (3.32 currently).

As a team, BaseRuns believes they should have a .636 winning percentage, which is slightly worse than their actual winning percentage of .667.

Personnel
What do scouts say about their main personnel?

Kyle McCann
McCann is interesting, not a terrible catcher, but more of a backup/1B type, plus juice, not a bad hitter, probably in the 5th-7th round area, maybe $125K after the 10th round, etc.

Tristin English
English has had arm issues and is 91-93 with a 55 slider, too aggressive at the plate to get to the power, not a high draft guy.

Xzavian Curry
Curry is 88-93 t94, fringy to average offspeed, ok CMD. Probably is a solid senior sign and gets to A-Ball, wouldn’t bet on much more.

Connor Thomas
Thomas was 86-88 t89, solid avg offspeed, good feel and deception, but just doesn’t have much margin for error

Chase Murray
Murray didn’t do much for me, LF without much thump and the ABs weren’t that great the days I was there

Baron Radliff
Not sure Radcliff ever figures it out but he was 70 raw (power) from the left side.

Oscar Serratos
Serratos is solid at 3B and has 55-60 raw, but his swing is way too big, timing isn’t great.

Overall
Solid club with lots of college types/lower level org guys in pro ball.

Rotation Matchups
Friday: Xzavian Curry (2-0, 1.88 ERA) vs. Evan McKendry (3-0, 1.89 ERA)
Saturday: Connor Thomas (1-1, 3.79 ERA) vs. Chris McMahon (1-0, 1.53 ERA)
Sunday: Brant Hurter (0-1, 0.69 ERA) vs. Brian Van Belle (2-1, 1.06 ERA)

Georgia Tech is not a powerful lineup overall, but Kyle McCann has 9 HR's and is a very potent college bat. As a team they are very similar to the Canes as far as working for walks, taking pitches, and striking out at a similar rate. They have a weekend rotation with some good numbers, but not overwhelming stuff. This is a series that Miami needs to win at home to stay on track for a possible hosting selection in the tournament.

Advertisement
First Conf test this season. Looking for the freshmen to continue to learn and the sophomores to take control. This season will be a work in progress for the young squad. Hoping they learn with each passing game. Learn how to field a ball. Learn how to avoid the strikeouts. Learn how to play top level college ball.

Advertisement
Cloonan gets his shot. Something I’ve liked with Coach is that he isn’t afraid to make changes when you mess up or don’t perform.

Easy to forget that Gil wasn’t a starter to begin season. Escala has contact issues continue, Gil for a shot, looked healthy and locked in and he starts now.

Jenkins messes up in CF, doesn’t have great at-bats, Laila takes that job.

Tuero can’t field, he goes to DH. Chet Moore started out in RF, didn’t hit, then Crosbie got a shot to take that spot, doesn’t hit, another dude gets a shot.

Jenkins can’t hold down LF, now Cloonan gets a shot. Let’s see what he does with it.

Players just want to believe they’re getting a fair shot. If they see that they are, they’ll play for you.

Advertisement
Literally cannot find it in the Espn app after it being visible earlier today. What’s happening?

Folks, Miami hasn’t played anyone that’s any good except UF, they even the Gators aren’t very good. The fact we lost the series to them tells me more about us than any of our 10 wins have. From here on out, we play real teams. The whole “we’re hosting a regional” thing is insane when we haven’t played a conference game. I’m unconvinced that we magically became that much better over one offseason, so we’re going to struggle with some teams even with an improved roster.

I couldn’t find it in the app either. I haven’t checked it on my roku yet though. I’m watching it through watch ESPN in my browser.

Advertisement
GT pitcher has our number with 19K’s and counting over the last two years. Defense continues to kick the ball around. Hopefully we can regroup the next two games.

Toral is ***n seeing it this year... But what in the **** is he thinking on the bases.. And of course Gil just mashes a solo homer... You hang em, we bang em.

3-3 1 out

Advertisement
Morris Ball : In Honor Of Jim Morris Tonight Toral Gives Away An Out And A Baserunner In Classic Jim Morris Style As Gil Blasts A Homerun For The Lead ..... Uhhh Oh Meathead Toral was Thrown Out At 2nd In A Homage To Morris. So Instead Of A 4- 3 Lead They Settle For A 3-3 Tie

Advertisement
Back