Future Memeber

• Louisville

Votes: 49 57.6%
  • UConn

Votes: 36 42.4%

• Total voters

D7.

I'm just here for the booty GIF's
Who would you like to be added to the ACC and why?

Advertisement
[video=youtube;8kZg_ALxEz0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kZg_ALxEz0[/video]

Neither. We should leave. We have done nothing in this conference. It's almost like we were cursed the moment we joined the ACC.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...sident-acc-would-be-a-great-conference-for-us

With Rutgers the latest team to exit the Big East and the new playoff structure officially confirming the league's status as the East Coast's Mountain West rather than a true power player, the conference's future has never looked less bright.

So it's no surprise that Louisville is looking for a lifeline out. With the Cardinals and Connecticut the leading candidates to fill the void in the ACC left by Maryland's departure for the Big Ten, Louisville president Dr. James Ramsey left no doubt about where he would prefer his university to be affiliated in the future.

"[The ACC] would be a great conference for us, if we ever had that opportunity," Ramsey told WDRB. "It has great academic schools, great tradition and history going back to 1953. It's changing, has picked up, of course, some schools that were an integral part of the Big East. It's a wonderful conference."

As for whether the ACC was reciprocating that affection, Ramsey would only say that "there's a lot of interest" from several conferences and that he had not spoken to the ACC directly. (WDRB also reported, however, that both Ramsey and athletic director Tom Jurich had "informal discussions with parties inside the conference.")

Ramsey paid the requisite lip service to the Cardinals' current home, but stopped well short of making any sort of suggestion he wouldn't leap at the chance to move somewhere bigger and better.

"It's been a great home for us," Ramsey said. "It was a huge step up for us athletically and academically. The Big East has been good for us, we want to see the Big East be successful whether we're in the Big East or not in the Big East.

"But today we're in the Big East, and will continue to work and do everything we can do to help it be successful."

What Ramsey means by that, of course, is doing everything aside from not making open advances towards another conference. But can you blame him? With the Big East's TV contract up for renewal and the conference's power and influence as its low ebb, there's simply no arguing that membership in the ACC doesn't offer benefits well beyond what the Big East can.

If one of the "Big Five" conferences is calling, there's no reason for the current Big East members not to get out while the getting is good -- and Maryland's decision means the getting may be as good as it will get for a while.

Tags: ACC, Atlantic Coast Conference, Big East, Conference Realignment, Louisville Cardinals, NCAAF

Advertisement
UCONN academically is a fit, Louisville is not. I'd be shocked if the ACC invited louisville over UCONN.

UCONN academically is a fit, Louisville is not. I'd be shocked if the ACC invited louisville over UCONN.

You mean the same UCONN team that is ineligible in BB because their APR was too low? They both can use PR boost that the ACC brings for good academics.

Advertisement
UConn. Anyone saying Independent doesnt' understand that college football is headed to a 4 league 64 team situation rapidly.

UConn. Anyone saying Independent doesnt' understand that college football is headed to a 4 league 64 team situation rapidly.
The what conferences do you see comprising this? Pac, B1G, SEC, Big-12, ????? Where does that leave the ACC and Big Least teams? Obviously, a lot of shuffling lies ahead.

I understand.

In your scenario, an independent team can still make the BCS playoffs. Conference affiliation is overrated unless it is the SEC.

Advertisement
U Conn sued Miami, and I still haven't forgotten. Lousiville is the better athletics program. I'm tired of hearing about academics personally, but to avoid a "West Virginia situation" I'd like to see the ACC make any offer to Louisville contingent on them raising their admissions standards for athletes. At least get them in the same area as the rest of the ACC schools, if not on a level playing field. If they won't do it, then let's move on.

U Conn sued Miami, and I still haven't forgotten. Lousiville is the better athletics program. I'm tired of hearing about academics personally, but to avoid a "West Virginia situation" I'd like to see the ACC make any offer to Louisville contingent on them raising their admissions standards for athletes. At least get them in the same area as the rest of the ACC schools, if not on a level playing field. If they won't do it, then let's move on.

Since the ACC is a basketball conference, both would be good but their academics arent ACC like.

Advertisement
Penn State

Texas

I'd rather hunt the big game first than overreact and settle for two basketball schools with questionable academics.

Penn State

Texas

I'd rather hunt the big game first than overreact and settle for two basketball schools with questionable academics.

Serious question; why would either of those schools go to the ACC?

Texas - I know there were rumors of them looking at the ACC before, but that was when the Big 12 was on the verge of collapse, now the Big 12 is setup better than or at best equal to the ACC in the playoff picture and Texas gets to throw their weight around such as demanding that they can have the Longhorn Network.

PSU - The Big 10 is not only in a better position from a playoff point of view, but they get paid out more than the ACC too; why would PSU want to leave?

You mean the same UCONN team that is ineligible in BB because their APR was too low? They both can use PR boost that the ACC brings for good academics.

The University of Connecticut is a very good academic institution, with a very good athletic program, that happens to be on the Atlantic Coast and dominates sports in the NE.

If the ACC expands, UCONN is going to be part of it or someone's brain dead.

Who else to add is an interesting question. Notwithstanding the jokes about child ****ers, Penn State would be a good add. Louisville is a reach. WVA would be culturally a reach but no less plausible than LV.

Penn State

Texas

Serious question; why would either of those schools go to the ACC?

Texas - I know there were rumors of them looking at the ACC before, but that was when the Big 12 was on the verge of collapse, now the Big 12 is setup better than or at best equal to the ACC in the playoff picture and Texas gets to throw their weight around such as demanding that they can have the Longhorn Network.

PSU - The Big 10 is not only in a better position from a playoff point of view, but they get paid out more than the ACC too; why would PSU want to leave?

Texas is a pipe dream. Not sure why anyone discusses that.

PSU -- less obvious. Long-term, the ACC value from a TV market perspective and recruiting base and geographic perspective should be a positive for PSU relative to the Big 10. Culturally, however, PSU probably fits the Big 10 better.

Advertisement
Back