ACC Barnstorming tour

thegrove

Freshman
Of interest, and further evidence of ACC's North Carolina bias. ACC sponsers (or at least, see's nothing amiss with) a basketball Barnstorming tour of NC whereby players and coaches from UNC, Duke, NC State and Wake visit many high schools and scrimmage the teams, put on exhibitions, have various contests such as 3 point and dunking. Seems to me that for this to be legitimate - ALL ACC teams should be invited and perhaps these "tours" should be expanded to other regions. Sounds to me like league sponsored recruiting. More info is available - Google it and check it out.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Advertisement
This **** ******* disgusts me. College kids playing basketball with high school kids is pretty much statutory rape. And to think that someone somewhere is trying to turn a dollar just makes me sick to my stomach. I'll tell you who shouldn't get paid. The players, that's who. The state of North Carolina is making an absolute mockery of the entire hierarchy of arbitrary rules that govern how children should be playing shooty sports. Pathetic.

It's not a.money maker as all funds go to charities, although I imagine some "costs" may be covered. It is however a recruiting tool and free publicity.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

That really grinds my gears. This isn't a competition. Charity or not, they SHOULD NOT actively try to gain an advantage over their "competitors". What kind of message does that send to the athlete-students?

It's just more crap that the NCAA lets their darlings get away with. UNC has been under investigation and has been found in violation for academic fraud going on over 8 years now. Ya know...the reason that Butch Davis was fired in 2011? The latest ***and THIRD*** notice of violations covers the basketball program from 2002-2011. Hmm...and Roy Williams has been there since 2004...8 years of misconduct while he has been the coach...and nothing has been done. Over 200 fraudulent classes were offered over that span...200!...and no punishment yet...nothing.

Did you also notice how little the media covered the scandal during the last NCAA Tourney?

If UM was going through that process you can bet that the media would be calling for the death penalty. But instead, the UNC program gets to go on a barnstorming tour to further recruiting.

Advertisement
The ACC has been doing this for decades. I remember seeing guys like Elden Campbell, Terry Gannon, and Mark Alarie play in my high school gym back in the late 80's. Maybe it's changed, but mostly it was guys who were older and out of basketball that played in the games. For instance Elden Campbell never stepped on the court, with a pro career to protect. And back then they did have players from any of the programs in the ACC. Is there a restriction now on what players participate?

Every year Duke and Savannah state should swap half of their respective recruiting classes. It's only fair. For them to gain any sort of name brand recognition or advantage is just un-American.

Advertisement
Back